Costco Down Throw...

G5Archer

Lil-Rokslider
Just picked up this Double Black Diamond Packable Down Throw from Costco for $19...now only if I knew how to sew I'd try to make a sleeping bag or something with a couple of these. It will be perfect this winter for lounging on the recliner or even an emergency blanket for the family vehicle.
184aff2170cd6731d27603f1934e1747.jpg
a5df8d12d5ca29548faf5492ba0f6000.jpg
9a59f8df606ca2ceff58034c647507d4.jpg
92ccf3226ef880380be36e0311b5b809.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

OP
G5Archer

G5Archer

Lil-Rokslider
What's the weight of it? I looked at them but was wishing they were longer..
Haven't put it on a scale but it doesn't weight nothing at all.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

There was a guy on the Backpacking light that was buying these, modifying them with snaps, and shock cords, then custom fitting them for different body sizes. He was then re-selling them for $50. It was a deal too good to pass up so I got one. It fits my frame perfectly (5'8", 160#), and only weighs 16.75 oz.
e403129f2b550dd7253b1733e26daa10.jpg

cc646465ad497bca8b50f244f3cb7ec1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, I'd have a real difficult time guessing at this point. My only opportunity so far using it has been this summer and the coldest nights have probably been in the high 40s to low 50s. I don't think I would hesitate to use it down into the mid 30s though, as long as I had some merino wool and a beanie to wear. I always carry down puffy pants and jacket on all my hunts which I have used to sleep in on many occasions and, I have been considering using this as my soul sleeping quilt for my Kodiak hunt in October. It's a tough call though because I don't know if it's worth the 4 oz. to take it instead of my 10° EE quilt.

colonel00

WKR
I may have to pick on up. If nothing else, it will fill the "gap" for warmer weather where my 30 and 10 degree quilts are too warm.

Send it to dave at Native Textiles. I am
Sure he could whip something up for you.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My wife handed me one of these the other day. I have my 0 degree quilt, but if my buddy goes in with me he's just got a 30 degree quilt and with some of the early snow and temps we've been seeing, he may just want some extra insulation.

rayporter

WKR
it would make a great mantle to add to a sleep system that was border line for lower temps than expected. add a velcro patch to it to keep it from sliding off during the night.

What are the benefits of a quilt like this compared to a lightweight mummy bag? I've got a mummy that weighs around 1.5 pounds and is rated for 30 degrees, but I don't always care for the "confined" feeling of a mummy.

Thanks for posting the costco quilt alert guys.
Been wanting to get one and do a cheap summer quilt.
So I picked up 4.

Not sure I want to bother narrowing up the foot box, so I think I'll just keep it simple and add some loops & toggles and a drawstring to close the footbox.
Also thinuking of cutting up one to use to add 1ft to the foot box of others. Seems that most guys wish they were longer.... just a thought.

At 700fill & 1lb, from what I gather online & comparing specs of other brands fill/loft/weights, it looks like it would be about 50F rating.... fine for summer/early fall scouting.
And I don't see any reason why a fella couldn't double them up to get down to 30F.

Anyway for $20ea seems worth the experiment.
Hunt'nFish

Ah...I didn't notice that in the pics.
Ok then, it seems like the right thing to do.

The other thought for cold weather use is to use two and over lap them in the center. By strategic placement of the loops and toggles, I should be able to connect them together in such a way as to have an adj length quilt with double layers over core body area.

In warm weather I wouldn't connect them, nor would I close the foot box.... allowing me to pull it up or push it down as temps dictate.

Thoughts?
Hunt'nFish

colonel00

WKR
I went ahead and picked up two today. Not too shabby for $20 each. I will say that mine don't seem to be as puffy as AK Troutbum's but maybe it needs time to fluff. Either way, it will definitely make a good "warm" weather quilt. I may go with some mods to the footbox or just leave it as it is. Since I'm a warm sleeper already, this will work great I think.