core4element / merino wool question

sk1

WKR
im looking at slowly switching over to some nicer clothing, and apparently from what i read marino wool is the way to go....i have alot of under amor base layer clothing as of right now

so i took advantage of camofire and just bought some of the core4element merino 190 boxer briefs, are these really cool enough to use for hunting in 75 to 80 degree temps? or do you sweat alot but they just dry quickly?

i know the discussion about what brand do you prefer for merino wool clothing has come up before, but being that camofire has core4element at a good price, is there really a significant advantage to some of these other brands to make it worth the extra money?

thanks

swat8888

WKR
I'd say the core4 stuff on camofire is one of the cheapest ways to switch to merino. Don't know of any major differences in different companies merino products other than how they are cut. My biggest issue with core4 is that I want my hunting clothing in earth tones of some sort. Don't necessarily need a big array of camo stuff, but I don't like black for an outer layer...especially if I plan to bowhunt.

Personally I wouldn't be wearing merino boxers out when its 75-80. It doesn't dry as quick as many synthetics and it would be giving me extra warmth that I wouldn't need. For 75-80 degree hunts I'd be wearing my exofficio boxers. I probably wouldn't be wearing any wool at all in those temps.

hunting1

WKR
I wear it for everything outdoors including last weekend hiking in 75-degrees for turkey. I have Merino from other brands and my favorite is the Core4. Hang it and do not tumble dry it will last alot longer and best is no stink like polyester!

ams

WKR
I have some of their boxers. I don't notice any difference between them and my poly pairs really. Just ran a race in them in Vegas and it was about 95. I'm mostly in semi- arid conditions when I'm using them though. They dry really quick. I have noticed the "wet dog" smell when I'm at the peak of work out or hike but it goes away as soon as it starts to dry. The smell is no where near as potent as the poly smell.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
well it would only be 75-80 during mid-day, so it should be ok i hope, i was wanting them because everyone says it helps with smell....worth a try or ill switch back to the under armor i guess if i didnt like them or it was too hot

Yukondog

WKR
I have the core4element boxers and they work great. I use the tops for waterfowl and they have worked great as well. I work up a good sweat hauling all my gear in waders. They dry out fast. From temps below zero up to 80 merino has been well worth the change for me. More comfortable and the synthetic stink is gone. Win win for me.