Copper Spur vs Mountain Star

Looking at tents for solo elk hunt in Colorado in September. I’ve narrowed it down to Copper Spur HV UL2 and the Mountain Star 2P. They seem fairly similar and popular, and close enough in price point. I’m leaning towards the Mountain Star for the built-in fly so no worries about rain while setting up, but have read/watched some reviews that the floor is so thin it is really easy to tear. Anyone had experience with both of these and could compare?

Durston. I have Durston and Copper Spur. Durston allows fly only, inner only, as well as fly first (set up/take down in rain without getting insides wet).

20220620_175406.jpg

ianpadron

WKR
The only copper spur I've been around got flattened in an Idaho snow storm that left a Cabelas bargain cave tent largely A-OK right next to it.

That alone pushed me to my Mountain Star, and so far I've found it plenty durable. One of my favorite tents out of my current lineup of a half dozen

The only copper spur I've been around got flattened in an Idaho snow storm that left a Cabelas bargain cave tent largely A-OK right next to it.

That alone pushed me to my Mountain Star, and so far I've found it plenty durable. One of my favorite tents out of my current lineup of a half dozen

Copper Spur needs to be tied out properly. When done right, pretty decent. No 4 season tent, but 3 season.

sneaky

"DADDY"

Not an objective comparison because you can ,or could, find some bomber tents in the bargain cave back in the day.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Jbehredt

WKR
I’d say they’re as similar as any two tents out there. Did have both set up in camp in AK. The Kuiu was newer and managed to stay a little drier inside. I’ve since gone to a 3P copper spur as my only free standing tent. Looks like I’m no help.

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
I have the Copper Spur.

I find the pole flys gimmicky in hindsight.

I also didn't like that I had to make guy lines and buy a bunch of stakes and hardware to make it really work right and stretch it out.

Everything else is great.

I have no experience with the other tent and understand you asked for feedback from folks that had both so please forgive that liberty on my part.