Cooper or full custom

mitchparker1980

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,
Looking at picking up a Cooper Backcountry or a full-on custom. Any reason to get one over the other? Going to go with a 6.5 PRC and will probably put a Leupold VX6HD or a Swaro Z5i on top.

If the custom action is the route to take...any actions to look at for a light weight build?

I went the Cooper route. They made lefty rifles and I found one for just over 3k. I was going to order a Christensen but there was no end in sight when ordering a lefty and I read some quality control issues with their rifles being awesome or lemons. So I got a Cooper backcountry. They were in stock online so I picked up a 7mm rem mag. Very happy with its weight and how it shoots. I wish the barrel was a bit shorter fwiw. I like my tikka in 6.5 cm too and it shoots awesome. Is the cooper “worth it” over a tikka, eh. It’s a much much nicer rifle, but they both kill. For a full custom price, that wasn’t worth it to me as I ordered the cooper and picked it up at my local gun shop 3 days later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mitchparker1980

mitchparker1980

Lil-Rokslider
I went the Cooper route. They made lefty rifles and I found one for just over 3k. I was going to order a Christensen but there was no end in sight when ordering a lefty and I read some quality control issues with their rifles being awesome or lemons. So I got a Cooper backcountry. They were in stock online so I picked up a 7mm rem mag. Very happy with its weight and how it shoots. I wish the barrel was a bit shorter fwiw. I like my tikka in 6.5 cm too and it shoots awesome. Is the cooper “worth it” over a tikka, eh. It’s a much much nicer rifle, but they both kill. For a full custom price, that wasn’t worth it to me as I ordered the cooper and picked it up at my local gun shop 3 days later.

I'm a lefty too and would pick up a Cooper today if I could find one for your price. Nowadays, they seem to run about 4.3k. (let me know your local gs has one for that price)

Also, own a few Tikkas but, am ready to go the full nine on the next rifle.

Super tag

WKR
I have a Cooper Jackson Hunter, the most accurate rifle I’ve ever owned.
topped with a Zeiss Conquest V6, superb scope.

Cooper is smooth as silk, truly a nice rifle.

I’ve had a lot of rifles and scopes, probably almost all of the major names, this is easily the best setup I’ve ever put together.

Last edited:
I'm a lefty too and would pick up a Cooper today if I could find one for your price. Nowadays, they seem to run about 4.3k. (let me know your local gs has one for that price)

Also, own a few Tikkas but, am ready to go the full nine on the next rifle.

Holy hell I just looked it up on gunbroker where I bought mine. About $1500 more now than it was when I got mine April 2021. I’ll sell you mine ;)

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Cooper model 92 280ai w Swaro Z5 shoots lights out (meaning .25-.5 or better) as do all our Coopers (rest are 7mm-08) The Coopers and HS Precision PH are excellent values as is that Z5 scope.

elkguide

WKR
I have a Cooper model 56 Excaliber in .300 Win Mag. I also have several full customs. The Cooper is every bit as accurate as any of the customs that I own, and it tends to be the rifle that I grab when it comes time to hunt. (or when I want to sit at the bench and see if I can still put bullets into a very small hole!)

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Cooper 300 win mag M52 Excalibur here with Z6. Groups everything I feed it tight. Have had 2 other Coopers (a Jackson Excalibur in 7mm-08 and a Phoenix in 260 Remington) that were equally awesome, and I regret selling them. Never held a backcountry, but I don't think you will regret buying any Cooper. Cooper.jpg

Hey all,
Looking at picking up a Cooper Backcountry or a full-on custom. Any reason to get one over the other? Going to go with a 6.5 PRC and will probably put a Leupold VX6HD or a Swaro Z5i on top.

If the custom action is the route to take...any actions to look at for a light weight build?
Go with the Cooper, find one in stock, & get to shooting sooner. You can always do a custom some other time if you wish. Call their platinum dealers to see what they have in stock. Very likely you’ll find a M92 Backcountry in 6.5PRC that you like. I know SGO (in Cairo, GA) has a few. Good folks at SGO. Also, I’d suggest also looking at the M52 Timberline. They have a really nice feel imo. Little more weight yes, but a little more vertical grip, & little more cheek rest rise. Good luck. 👍

Last edited: