Converting to a chassis - worth it?

Ithaca37

FNG
I'm considering dropping my 24" Christensen Arms Ridgeline 30-06 (Remington 700 long action) into MDT's HNT26 chassis (https://mdttac.com/hnt26-chassis-system/). Other changes would be to add a picatinny scope rail and to install a straight trigger (Timney Elite Hunter Straight or similar).

This is a backpacking / mountain rifle - priorities are packability, light weight, etc.

I don't expect to save any weight, in fact I'll probably make the rifle a couple ounces heavier by doing this, but not too much. Main advantages would be the folding stock, integrated ARCA & M-LOK, cheek riser, and improved ergonomics (and potentially accuracy too with the pistol grip and straight trigger but I'm not banking on that).

Probably not worth $1500 out of pocket, but I would sell some gear to finance this so it's not really a fully net new expenditure.

Anyone else convert their rifle to a chassis? Were you happy with the results? Dramatic change or not really? Gotchas or things I should know?

*** And by the way, I am indeed sticking with the 30-06, not considering a different caliber or another rifle at this time

Last edited:

CRJR45

WKR
I did it with my Savage , bought a Carbon XLR chassis , it made zero difference in accuracy , in fact it lost accuracy , but it was a little more ergonomic . I ended up going back to the factory stock , it just shoots better , and it's lighter . I think it has to do with the aluminum bedding in the factory stock .

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
I am currently in the process of buying stocks for 3 different rifles and the HNT26 is one I keep coming back to. I have one that I’ve hunted with for the last two years and I find myself preferring it over the EH-1 and AG Alpine Hunter that I have on my other rifles. It just seems to fit me better and comes in around 34 oz with the folder compared to 36 oz for the EH-1 with mini chassis and bottom metal.

One big consideration for you specifically is the magazines, the LA HNT26 is CIP length so it takes the 3.85” AICS mags compared to the standard 3.715” AICS mags typically used with the 30-06. I do not know if they are available as my 30-06 has the standard AICS bottom metal.

The other consideration is recoil, due to the lightness and shape of the stock it is best suited for lighter recoiling rifles or ones using a brake or suppressor. With an unsuppressed 6.5 PRC the recoil can be a touch snappy compared to the same barreled action in the EH-1. Mine is only short action so I haven’t tested it on larger cartridges such as my 300 WM.

I have a couple of rifles with XLr chassis. Mostly use them for coyote hunting. I really like them for the main reason of the folding stock. I fold the stock and carry them in a backpack. Also makes for shooting off a tripod nicely

Attachments

• C9511E72-BBEC-4777-8516-DE1D889642C2.jpeg
    C9511E72-BBEC-4777-8516-DE1D889642C2.jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I was looking at putting my Ruger American ranch rifle in one, but the chassis costs more than my rifle would and it would be slightly heavier. For now I’m staying with the factory stock.

Put one of the slide on risers and bed the barrel to the end of the fore end. Won't get the folding stock but may be lighter than a chassis.

OFFSHORE

FNG
I have been eyeballing several chassis for a build I want to complete. Most chassis, the butt section is just way to "busy" for me in appearance and adds un-needed weight (for my application) and that is why I've looked into these because I can add any type of AR-15 style stock to them. You going to be hard pressed on finding a less expensive chassis than what a Ruger American sells for, but getting out of that stock they put on them will help you night and day I believe. Now I just need to do more research and make a decision. Good luck with you build.

MDT LSS Gen2 & XL
XLR ATOM & 4.0
UltraDyne UD5
Rival Arms

Just went through this decision process myself, ended up grabbing an MDT HNT 26 to put on my Ridgeline. I can say that I still prefer the aesthetics of a traditional stock but there no denying the adjustability. I only have (2) trips to the range in so far but I am pretty happy with it, I find it more comfortable to get behind and the folding stock seems solid.

I dropped my Tikka in a HNT 26 and have been very pleased with it. I am a big fan of the AR style grip. I dropped my CA Ridgeline into a Manner’s LRH and have been very pleased with that setup as well.

IMO, as long as the rifle is a shooter, no reason not to upgrade the stock.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lannyw