Constant peep twist

MSCSteve

FNG
I got new strings last year and was battling constant peep twist. A couple shops I went to were no help. Just found a new shop and they seem to be very helpful, got new strings put on and put a few arrows through at the shop and it was great. Got home and immediately started getting some twist. The D Loop also twists about 90 degrees, but the peep is even off from that slightly. This is the same thing that’s been happening with the old strings. I would think it’s a tuning issue, but the shop got everything dialed in. This is a 2013 hoyt charger that only started doing this that bad last year. Maybe time for a new bow? Any help would be appreciated.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Strings need to settle and possibly stretch. Sometimes it takes 20 shots, sometimes 120. Keep shooting it, even if it’s draw and fire at point blank until it seems to stop moving. Then go back to the shop and have them adjust. Just make sure you shoot it enough to get it to settle.

If you have a press it’s an adjustment you can do yourself but it doesn’t sound like you have one.

I’ll add…constant peep twist is a different animal. If your string twists every time you pull it back that’s a sign of a bad string (bad string build). It might mean it doesn’t have enough twists. If it points straight back when the string is in the relaxed position, and then points 90 degrees left when at full draw then that’s an issue to take up with the builder.

Last edited:
OP
M

MSCSteve

FNG
Thanks for the reply. I’ll put some more arrows through it and see what happens before I bring it back in. I also thought about using a bowmar peep tuner, but I feel like that’s more of a bandaid then fixing the problem.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Thanks for the reply. I’ll put some more arrows through it and see what happens before I bring it back in. I also thought about using a bowmar peep tuner, but I feel like that’s more of a bandaid then fixing the problem.
The more crap you hang off the string the slower your arrow. I’d prefer to do it right and if the shop installed the strings they’ll get you taken care of.

badgerboy

FNG
I had a similar issue with my last bow. Replaced strings with pre stretched ones and still had the same issue. The first shop tried offsetting the D loop but that didn't work. My understanding of the problem was a single cam being slightly misaligned paired with a string that over time, stretched wonky. My bow was around 13 years old and I didn't feel like putting more money into it.

Lucky to have a wife who saw what I was dealing with and just advised me to get a new bow. :). I went with a Bowtech as they ship bows with pre stretched strings. I don't believe all manufacturers do this but could be wrong.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
I had a similar issue with my last bow. Replaced strings with pre stretched ones and still had the same issue. The first shop tried offsetting the D loop but that didn't work. My understanding of the problem was a single cam being slightly misaligned paired with a string that over time, stretched wonky. My bow was around 13 years old and I didn't feel like putting more money into it.

Lucky to have a wife who saw what I was dealing with and just advised me to get a new bow. :). I went with a Bowtech as they ship bows with pre stretched strings. I don't believe all manufacturers do this but could be wrong.

I’d find a new shop….not hard to press a bow and add half a twist or reinstall the peep, add and remove a strand to one side or the other.

WCB

WKR
Shoot it a few time (as you already have) the peep should settle. It may be out of alignment but consistent. bring back the shop and have them twist the string.

If you have any batwing type silencers that go through the string you and slide them up and down. What ever you do...avoid funding the Bowmars and their legal fund.

badgerboy

FNG
I’d find a new shop….not hard to press a bow and add half a twist or reinstall the peep, add and remove a strand to one side or the other.
I did end up changing shops prior to getting my other bow and they did attempt twisting the string and reinstalling the peep. I chalked it up to being an old cheap bow (martin cheetah). That bow was effective though. :)

I will say, anything other than a straight sight through the peep is challenging in low light conditions.

MattB

WKR
In this day and age most strings will only creep for the first 5 or so shots and then settle, but some take more. I will generally shoot 20 or more shots before I even think about playing with the peep. Shoot it some more and take it back to the shop to have them twist the string to straighten the peep and then adjust the loop. If it keeps twisting, that means the string are still creeping. If new strings don't settle pretty quickly something is wrong with them.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Single cam strings are notorious for twisting, just the nature of having a string twice the length of a double cam or cam and a half system string. Sounds like a bad set of strings, you can keep chasing the problem, or spend the money on a good set from a reputable builder and solve your problems. Sure, you can settle the string you have in, adjust strands to try and compensate, but that may not work. You have any idea what material your string is made of? Once you get a good string you'll understand why it's money well spent.

OP
M

MSCSteve

FNG
Single cam strings are notorious for twisting, just the nature of having a string twice the length of a double cam or cam and a half system string. Sounds like a bad set of strings, you can keep chasing the problem, or spend the money on a good set from a reputable builder and solve your problems. Sure, you can settle the string you have in, adjust strands to try and compensate, but that may not work. You have any idea what material your string is made of? Once you get a good string you'll understand why it's money well spent.
I believe the strings are from vapor trail, not quite sure of the exact material though. Is there a custom string company/shop you would recommend?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't even put the peep in until I've shot at least 20 arrows through the bow, check and reset specs and to markings, and then shoot a few more to make sure everything stays put. Then I install the peep and fine tune it from there.

Nothing worse than peep rotation. I switched to a peep this year (first time ever) without the rubber tube, and my peep has twisted twice now with 60x strings installed. I'm giving it one more time, and if rotates, it's gone. Not even sure why I switched, but did after new string install.

The worst is in low light conditions, it pretty much throws you a curveball as your think its your vision.

OP
M

MSCSteve

FNG
Nothing worse than peep rotation. I switched to a peep this year (first time ever) without the rubber tube, and my peep has twisted twice now with 60x strings installed. I'm giving it one more time, and if rotates, it's gone. Not even sure why I switched, but did after new string install.

The worst is in low light conditions, it pretty much throws you a curveball as your think its your vision.
I also didn’t have this problem till I switched to a tubeless peep last year. The tubes never gave me a problem.

Good quality strings will not twist once settled. Just put a set of Twisted X on and maybe shot 25 arrows, set the peep and hasn't moved since. I see the brand of strings you mentioned with constant peep issues, just read the same issues on AT, with two different people, same brand strings, if that tells you anything?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I just put an ABB string set on my bow yesterday and shot them maybe 25 times. Today I installed the peep and have shot it maybe 50 times and it's right where I put it to start with. Make sure you don't serve above the bottom of the natural V, or you'll impart more twist on it.
IMG_1037.jpg

Last edited:
Good quality strings will not twist once settled. Just put a set of Twisted X on and maybe shot 25 arrows, set the peep and hasn't moved since. I see the brand of strings you mentioned with constant peep issues, just read the same issues on AT, with two different people, same brand strings, if that tells you anything?

Well, if you're referring to 60x, at the time "They were the strings to get" so I got a pair a few years back, but them on, 300 plus shots, (months) and I'm bear hunting and wala......... twist. So, if 60x is the issue, fair enough, but I've heard way to many people say "Good strings don't twist" when yes, they do in my experience. It's just when will they stop.

If a guy doesn't have a press, and is relying on the shop to keep it straight, it can be frustrating. I've shot a compound with a rubber tube for I don't know, maybe 15 years and never had one issue at all, and that I can say with absolute certainty.

Well, if you're referring to 60x, at the time "They were the strings to get" so I got a pair a few years back, but them on, 300 plus shots, (months) and I'm bear hunting and wala......... twist. So, if 60x is the issue, fair enough, but I've heard way to many people say "Good strings don't twist" when yes, they do. It's just when will they stop.
All I'm saying is good quality strings settle fairly quick, yes it can vary some, but they do not continue to twist where one must keep adjusting their peep.

3forks

WKR
I just put an ABB string set on my bow yesterday and shot them maybe 25 times. Today I installed the peep and have shot it maybe 50 times and it's right where I put it to start with. Make sure you don't serve above the bottom of the natural V, or you'll impart more twist on it.
View attachment 431545
I also just put a new ABB string and cables on my bow yesterday.

I shot mine without a peep for about a dozen shots, then put the peep in and shot probably 70 arrows and the peep hasn’t moved.

I‘ve always had the same experience with ABB strings.