Confused about Garmin Inreach Mini

ColtSAA

FNG
So my dad just bought a couple Garmin inreach mini 1's. His friend has had a couple inreach mini 1's for a few years now. The goal is that everyone has some communication where we'll be hunting without cell service. I wasn't too keen on getting them since I am big on using VHF MURS or GMRS radio.

I'm a bit discouraged about the mini 1 being basically planned obsolescence by Garmin with them no longer updating the earthmate app (which has 2.7 stars in the App Store). For this reason, I was considering returning them and getting the mini 2's instead where they'll continue to be supported longer by Garmin for at least a few more years. I was figuring it makes sense to get the latest with tech because it ages so quickly.

Anyways, I've been reading about the difference between the mini 1 and 2 and am a bit confused. Is the messaging between the mini 1 and mini 2 compatible? I know mini 1 uses the earth mate app and mini 2 uses Garmin explorer or messenger. Can you message from a 1 to a 2 somehow? If so, how does this work and what app do you use?

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
yes you can message from a mini 1 to a mini 2. Have done it. I was using earthmate with my mini and the mini 2 owner was using explore app. Keep in mind the app is irrelevant. The message goes from one mini to a satellite and then to the other mini. And the app is unrelated to successful transmission of that other than IF you use the app it just needs the bluetoooth connection and the mini devices will receive the message. Only reason for the apps at all it easier keyboard typing and message reading on a phone screen versus the challenging typing and reading on the mini devices but app is not “required” to communicate.

fully compatible for that And you can message from a 1 or a 2 or to to a zoleo etc. It is basically sending an email via satellite. Which you can also do (message to an email address) And can of course can send a text message to a cell phone, just like “normal” texting.

No reason to not swap for the mini 2 if worried about it and do not ind the much higher cost from the $250 sale price your dad prob bought the mini at and $400 mini 2 price. Might even look at zoleo as an option as some folks like those.

Expect my original mini will keep working just fine for some years to come with earthmate app but do not “know” that for a fact.

The point of an inreach, zoleo etc is to provide location info and more certain ability to communicate more info to specific people including anyone anywhere outside radio range, including getting rescued in the off chance that is ever needed. Things a radio does not provide. Different animal together.

What I like about satellite devices versus radio is ability to communicate with folks not in my hunt party or in radio range. Example, killed a bull a couple weeks ago and was able to send a text with inreach to a friends cell. He was 3 hours away and came to help pack out after getting my text with location provided. Never could have done that with a radio.

Last edited:

drew12

FNG
Definitely. I carry both, albeit not the ultralite setup some look for. A radio (Garmin Rino) for comms between our hunting party - and also an InReach mini for comms home and the emergency situations that you pray don't occur.

RVarland

FNG
yes you can message from a mini 1 to a mini 2. Have done it. I was using earthmate with my mini and the mini 2 owner was using explore app. Keep in mind the app is irrelevant. The message goes from one mini to a satellite and then to the other mini. And the app is unrelated to successful transmission of that other than IF you use the app it just needs the bluetoooth connection and the mini devices will receive the message. Only reason for the apps at all it easier keyboard typing and message reading on a phone screen versus the challenging typing and reading on the mini devices but app is not “required” to communicate.

fully compatible for that And you can message from a 1 or a 2 or to to a zoleo etc. It is basically sending an email via satellite. Which you can also do (message to an email address) And can of course can send a text message to a cell phone, just like “normal” texting.

No reason to not swap for the mini 2 if worried about it and do not ind the much higher cost from the $250 sale price your dad prob bought the mini at and $400 mini 2 price. Might even look at zoleo as an option as some folks like those.

Expect my original mini will keep working just fine for some years to come with earthmate app but do not “know” that for a fact.

The point of an inreach, zoleo etc is to provide location info and more certain ability to communicate more info to specific people including anyone anywhere outside radio range, including getting rescued in the off chance that is ever needed. Things a radio does not provide. Different animal together.

What I like about satellite devices versus radio is ability to communicate with folks not in my hunt party or in radio range. Example, killed a bull a couple weeks ago and was able to send a text with inreach to a friends cell. He was 3 hours away and came to help pack out after getting my text with location provided. Never could have done that with a radio.
I have a 1 and I’ve considered upgrading to a 2 if I find a decent deal. You don’t seem to see much improvement for the 2s?

Hof

FNG
The new messenger app is light years ahead of the earthmate app as well. That alone is worth upgrading to the mini2 or messenger device.

I'm new to the Inreach as a whole. A couple things that I have become aware of- with the Mini, you cant use it stand alone to send a message other than the preset ones. Also it appears that you can only link one Inreach to your phone at a time and you need internet connection to change devices. I have one of the older "full size" Inreach's it was nice to be able to send messages as a stand alone as my my phone went dead a couple times on a recent hunt, all-be-it is not the best keyboard and slow to type.

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm new to the Inreach as a whole. A couple things that I have become aware of- with the Mini, you cant use it stand alone to send a message other than the preset ones. Also it appears that you can only link one Inreach to your phone at a time and you need internet connection to change devices. I have one of the older "full size" Inreach's it was nice to be able to send messages as a stand alone as my my phone went dead a couple times on a recent hunt, all-be-it is not the best keyboard and slow to type.
huh? you can send msgs from mini 1 standalone. not fun but very doable.

And you can switch devices w/o internet. tell phone to forget the first device then pair the second one.

elkit

FNG
App on the mini 2 is better a d the battery life is really what sets them apart most to me.

ozyclint

WKR
You can but scrolling through the keyboard to create a message takes forever and not worth the time.
I know what your saying, but on a 2 week backpack hunt I have a buttload of time in the evenings to send a message. Using a the mini 1 as a stand alone saves me having to carry my phone and a power bank.