Confirmation Number on Payment

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
Do you every make payment and record the confirmation and think you have proof of payment?
I just discovered most companies and payment systems do not even have a way to track or connect the number to a payment.
I know for a fact that Progressive and other insurance operate this way.
Had a client process a payment with the automated system over the phone. He was given a confirmation number. The system did not apply the payment. It was not drawn on his card either. The problem is it was a renewal payment and the policy expired.
Just another reason you should do business with a person and get a receipt.
So I contacted Progressive. I asked to track the payment. I was told there is no way to track the payment from a confirmation number. I asked why the heck give the person one then. The answer "most people want one".

Beendare

WKR
Always!

..... especially when its so easy to do a scan with your phone [iPhone feature anyway] or save the screen shot to E file.

This definitely varies by vendor. Anyone using newer tech payment solutions like Stripe, Square, Paypal, and even Worldpay can easily track a payment from order to cash in the bank. Most are required to because of SOX compliance and other internal controls.

In your example, it seems like a matter of they "won't" versus they "can't", although some companies are still processing payments with knuckle busters these days. Either way, frustrating as a consumer in an era where data is king.

def90

WKR
I use Progressive, I always get a confirmation email showing that payment has been made.