Concerns/ Questions?? For those that shoot a thumb trigger??

Ok i have a few questions/ Concerns??

Let me start by saying i shoot MUCH better with my hand held than a trigger.. I can make the shot break cleaner and my pin sits where i want it.. Now here are my concerns.

1. I am worried i will lose the dang thing??

2. I dont know how well i will be able to shoot it in gloves/ with cold fingers..

3. I cant punch it. I cannot shoot the thumb trigger very well if i need to rush the shot.. I shoot it with pure back tension and when i try to rush the shot it doesnt work as well as with my trigger..

I am very tempted to just shoot my hinge but i think the thumb trigger would be better.. So what is your opinion.. Shoot the release you shoot the best and learn to use it with gloves and not lose it??

or stick with the old trusty trigger and learn to shoot it with back tension?? I can still touch arrows at 40 yards with my trigger but my shot breaks better and out past that it is better with the hand held

voidecho

Lil-Rokslider
I tried one, but the damn thing slipped out of my sweaty hands twice during practice so I went back to a wrist stap one. My hands sweat a lot and I didn't want to take the chance that I'd be sweaty after a stalk.

horseshoe

FNG
Some manufacturers sell wrist straps for the hand held releases, that should take care of the fear of losing it.

I once had a shot go off prematurely with a trigger when wearing a glove due to lack of feel. Now all my release gloves lack an index finger! I like folding top mitts for the coldest weather, but some don't like the thickness that changes the anchor against the face. Practice with a glove and try different styles and modifications till you you feel comfortable with it.

As for quick shots, that will be a personal thing that only experience should dictate. You are executing the shot the proper way (BT) and the most accurate way. I wish I could execute my trigger as you describe, punching and anticipating the shot eventually lead to all kinds of problems! So I say stick with it and just practice your sequence to be a little quicker.

Just my two cents.

Archelk

Lil-Rokslider
I use a thumb and made my own parachord wrist strap for it. Also yesterday I was shooting in 96 degree weather and my hands sweated a little but I had no issues. I once read where someone used wind check chalk on a hunt to dry his fingers somewhat and it worked if that is an issue for you. I say stick with it and just practice with thick gloves if that is the case for your hunt situation. For quick shots I just practice a quicker shot sequence as far as getting the pin on target but I still use tension to pull the release.

Rolo

FNG
I've been hunting with a hand held thumb button since the 90's. Been through various models, and not getting into that. I decided to switch because I spent 8 or so months a year shooting one, and would then go to an index for hunting. Didn't make much practical sense, and comparing the functionality and adjustability of thumb buttons back then to index fingers, it was an easy decision.

I have never lost one in the field, but always carry a spare. For stand/bling hunting, I just clip it to my loop and let it hang. Tension is high enough that it's going to take more than an accidental bump to fire. For on the go hunting, I have used various lanyard methods, everything from loop rope through the hole in the cocking lever, drilling a hole in the case to attach rope, and using the commercial offerings. Now, I just use a release pouch (actually a rock climbing chalk bag) to carry it. It's deep enough that the release stays in there, and it is quieter than release pouches (at least the ones I have used). Unless I was using a 'hook' designed head, it really sucked to clip it on, and this my hand to the bow, and then needing my hand free for the RF or binos or calls. With the pouch method, I can clip it on (closed hasp design) and let it hang from the loop, leaving my hand free for other things.

Only gloves I ever used were light/thin gloves. May be liner gloves or thin leather palmed ones. Didn't matter how cold. Can always wear a muff or heavier gloves/mittens and then take them off. Same applies to the bow hand.

I also carry a hinge with me too. May decide to use it for the shots that I think require it.

wapitibob

WKR
Make your own wrist "sling" from para cord or elastic cord and a line lock.

Go down to the local skater shop and they'll give you a chunk of board tape for free. Put small strips in the release finger wells but not I the index finger well. That way the release can still pivot.

Last edited:

Sooner

Lil-Rokslider
I love mine. I also made a strap out of Para cord. It goes in pocket on hikes in the dark, then slip in on my wrist the rest of the day. I've never worried about losing it in the field.