Concerning rut trends, is the rut changing?

We hunt 2-3 states a year and I have noticed in Colorado it's not great until about the third week but everywhere else elk hunting is still good if not great.Last year in Montana it was 90 degrees opening week and every spot we hunted the bulls were screaming.Everyone we talked to said they hadn't seen any and they weren't bugling.Even in Colorado we are in elk every day and I have been in serious rutting action during the first week although its rare.I know it's not what it used to be but I also don't feel like it's as bad as people say.
Breaks in MT? My area was quiet until end of second week

bcnorth

FNG
Imagine you are going to hunt with a primitive weapon, where sound and scent are your worst enemies, where it's true essence is the challenge of matching wits one on one with the phantom of the Rockies.......but there are 6 in your group, trundling hunting down a drainage. And to make matters worse, then you hammer Youtube telling everyone this how you do it, and to come join the party....more is needed.
BC also seems to be catching up to this new normal sadly. Last two elk seasons my partner and i had been pressured out of drainages by run and gun buglers multiple times. No joke, i have seen the elk file out and even stampede right out of the drainage. Our hike ins to spike camp were 5-10km (in already remote areas) and rarely would see anyone in the 10 days. When we did, it was a pleasant BS and a discussion about which drainage we were planning to hunt to avoid each other.

On one occasion i was 2km from my spike camp working an elk herd back towards my camp and downwind. I look up to the top of the mountain and see a large big white flag waving back and forth. I put my binos up and see two guys, one on the spotter looking at me and one waving the flag. They both start to signal to me to back off away from the herd and away from camp lol. To make matters worse the thermals are going straight from them to the elk and there is still another group of hunters on the opposite ridge in the same drainage.

The most obvious changes i noticed are that people pushing farther, are way more vocal and aggressive with calls and younger geared up hunters. I do think elk are very killable still and i enjoy meeting new hunters to an extent but this year were going more remote and dropping our usual elk spots.

OP
S

sundance1

FNG
There are two estrus cycles, around 4 weeks apart. Cows who aren't bred in the first cycle will initiate a second rut around the 3rd week of October. That is why you will see some calves still spotted out during the first of September, and why October rifle hunters come off the mountain with bulls in the back of their pickup, commenting that the bulls were "bugling up a storm". My grand daughters rifle hunt, and my son who bow hunts with me, will comment that they heard more bugling in one morning than we heard all of the bow season.

There are two estrus cycles, around 4 weeks apart. Cows who aren't bred in the first cycle will initiate a second rut around the 3rd week of October. That is why you will see some calves still spotted out during the first of September, and why October rifle hunters come off the mountain with bulls in the back of their pickup, commenting that the bulls were "bugling up a storm". My grand daughters rifle hunt, and my son who bow hunts with me, will comment that they heard more bugling in one morning than we heard all of the bow season.

Yeah, I have to chuckle when I hear or read what bowhunters say, or rifle hunters for that matter, that;

"The game commission moved the start of season back this year to later in September [or early October] and the hunt this year falls after the rut".

Such nonsense .....

OP
S

sundance1

FNG
Ya, seems like bow hunters in Colorado are at the end of the hunting food chain. Have a rifle -oops /// muzzle season during bow?? Put archery tags on a draw in some units because herd numbers are down, but leave rifle Otc tags alone??? Blame bow hunters for pushing bulls away from cows during rut as the main reason for herd numbers?? Have a state lobbying organization, the Colorado Bow hunters Association, whose main objective is to increase bow hunting numbers and it's exposure, a Wildlife Commission that is controlled and appointed by the governor whose every conversation about the future of hunting starts with revenue. Damn, must be Monday bitch morning....pass the coffee.

mtblackdog

Lil-Rokslider
100% I started bow hunting as a teenager in the late 80s. Bulls would start talking in Late August until the first rifle shot in Oct. And they would bugle throughout the day. And albeit some of them having always been call shy especially herd bulls. You could always pull Satellite bulls in like Jake turkeys. That is definitely not the case now. Archery pressure has gone waay up and they have evolved. Its a spot stalking chess game in the units I used to be able to bugle and locate them 20-30 years ago. Crowded planet