Compilation of Formidilosus posts

Form has over 3k posts, it's a lot to go through.

@bluumoon the pdf "wind brackets" isn't displaying great on my computer, do you know what thread that came from? I haven't come across the good gun/bad gun mil drop discussion before.

OP
B

Bluumoon

WKR

@bluumoon the pdf "wind brackets" isn't displaying great on my computer, do you know what thread that came from? I haven't come across the good gun/bad gun mil drop discussion before.
I don't sorry, that's why I save this stuff, often great info pops up in random threads. Send me a PM with an email address and I'll email the original (still crap format) version.

taba

FNG
@Formidilosus Thank you! If you have put all this in a book/website/ program let me know and I'll buy it. If not, you have a heck of a start, sign me up when you do.

The book almost writes itself.

I've begun copy-and-pasting his posts into this format (without much thought):

Indian
- long-range hunting requires practice (500 rounds to 300 yards, 500 rounds for every additional 100)
- trainer rifle: advantages (cost), recommend .22, .223
- how to zero: purpose (sampling), recommend 10-30 rounds (3 insufficient)
- classes: recommend Appleseed, X
- practice: recommend hunting rifle drill
- competition: advantages (pressure), recommend X

Arrow
- caliber: what matters (recoil and lethality), recommend .223/77gr TMK to 450 yards, something like .243/95gr TMK to 600, 6.5 Creedmoor/130gr TMK 600+
- rifle: what matters (reliable, accurate), recommend Tikka T3X
- chassis: advantages (stability, recoil), recommend KRG Bravo
- optic: what matters (hold zero, zeturn to zero, robust), recommend SWFA (6X, 3-9X, 10X, 5-20X), Sportsmatch T084 rings
- suppressor: advantages (concussion, recoil), recommend X
- ammunition: what matters (wind calls trump all else), recommend factory (X)

Add an Introduction ("everything is a lie"), Biography (I work at a unique place...), and anything else wish (Gear? Other-than-shooting skills required?), and good to go.

Do please consider it. It'd be fantastically helpful.

The book almost writes itself.

I've begun copy-and-pasting his posts into this format (without much thought):

Indian
- long-range hunting requires practice (500 rounds to 300 yards, 500 rounds for every additional 100)
- trainer rifle: advantages (cost), recommend .22, .223
- how to zero: purpose (sampling), recommend 10-30 rounds (3 insufficient)
- classes: recommend Appleseed, X
- practice: recommend hunting rifle drill
- competition: advantages (pressure), recommend X

Arrow
- caliber: what matters (recoil and lethality), recommend .223/77gr TMK to 450 yards, something like .243/95gr TMK to 600, 6.5 Creedmoor/130gr TMK 600+
- rifle: what matters (reliable, accurate), recommend Tikka T3X
- chassis: advantages (stability, recoil), recommend KRG Bravo
- optic: what matters (hold zero, zeturn to zero, robust), recommend SWFA (6X, 3-9X, 10X, 5-20X), Sportsmatch T084 rings
- suppressor: advantages (concussion, recoil), recommend X
- ammunition: what matters (wind calls trump all else), recommend factory (X)

Add an Introduction ("everything is a lie"), Biography (I work at a unique place...), and anything else wish (Gear? Other-than-shooting skills required?), and good to go.

Do please consider it. It'd be fantastically helpful.
Even if it was just a disorganized compilation of all of his posts I’d buy it. He’s saved me so much time and money at this point even at $100 a pop, it’s already paid for itself many times over.

Where's the diagrams he did with the clouds illustrating wound channelsand terminal ballistics for different bullets? Was that the 223 thread? Any idea what page?

I had this thread saved for a while as an open tab so I remember, pretty sure this is it

Last edited:

CRJR45

WKR
I have toyed with the idea of sending a PM to Form expressing my appreciation for all the things I've learned from his posts.
But this is better, Thank You Form.

AZGUY

Lil-Rokslider
Hopefully this doesn't step on any toes. I've found Formid's posts to be incredibly useful and have spent more time than I care to admit digging through his posts. Attached are a few of the "core" posts I have saved for reference and to share with friends. To be clear, this is all Formid's content, some is older work and views may have progressed

@Formidilosus Thank you! If you have put all this in a book/website/ program let me know and I'll buy it. If not, you have a heck of a start, sign me up when you do. If the post violates decorum, please let me know and I'll happily delete.

The formatting is terrible, you get what you pay for.

Great work and thank you. We should pin this.

OP
B

Bluumoon

WKR
Form is a wealth of information......but do you guys wipeyourassss by yourself or ask for his permission?
I'll post up a link, covers most efficient square number, optimal folds, density per fold, and why you keep getting sh*t on your finger. Some people are open to learning and some people can't figure out why their fingers stink.

philcox

WKR
Arrow

Anyone have an idea of how fast one could push that 130 our of that 6.5? I just don't see how you get the MEV out of the 6.5 for the 130 TMK @ 600+. I must be missing something. I am pushing a 124 Hammer @ 2945, if I say I can push the 130 @ 2900, then it seems I would hit the MEV of 1900 fps (I think that is what it is), ar just about 600y. Can someone correct what I am missing?

Thanks.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Anyone have an idea of how fast one could push that 130 our of that 6.5? I just don't see how you get the MEV out of the 6.5 for the 130 TMK @ 600+. I must be missing something. I am pushing a 124 Hammer @ 2945, if I say I can push the 130 @ 2900, then it seems I would hit the MEV of 1900 fps (I think that is what it is), ar just about 600y. Can someone correct what I am missing?

Thanks.

The BC of Hammer Hunters is low. At 5k DA, the 6.5cm/130gr TMK load I am using is 2,740fps MV, and hits 1,800fps at 685 yards.