Combo guns

First post on here so let's see how it goes. Does anyone run comb guns like the old Savage/Stephen's Model 24 or the newer Model 42? I have both a 22lr/410 and a 30-30/20g with red dots mounted on both. What's your favorite combination for what game animals?

seww

WKR
Back in Sweden, I had a Valmet 12/.222 Rem for grouse however, that .222 is kinda big for a grouse. I want to remember I switched it out for a 12/.22 Hornet because I had a .22 Hornet for small game.

The old Valmet's, before they were acquired by Beretta were some nice rifles. Beretta made them slimmer and thinner, but the quality of an old Valmet is hard to beat.

z987k

WKR
I have the Chiappa .22LR/.410. I just use the open sites on it. Actually used it today, but was wishing I had one of my .22's with some magnification on it, though last time we were shooting birds it was perfect.

I’m trying justify a Chiappa .22WMR/.410. I think it would be the perfect trap line gun.
I don't think the 22mag would get you anything the 22 wouldn't. It's not like you're going to take 100 yard shots with it.

I have never had a combo gun like you described, but if I came across a deal on an old school European drilling with a shotgun and a center fire rifle barrel, it would be hard to pass up.

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
54 years ago when I was 12 my folks bought me a Savage model 24V in .222/20ga. We were far from well off at the time and I know it was a stretch on the budget. I shot more rabbits, skunks and 'coons than a fella can imagine. That gun lived in whatever pickup I was driving. Obviously it developed quite a patina from all of the use. Last January I gave it to a young man I've hunted with for many years. He and his wife just had their first child and told me when he's 10-12 it will be a birthday gift. That fills my heart.

OP
R
I have never had a combo gun like you described, but if I came across a deal on an old school European drilling with a shotgun and a center fire rifle barrel, it would be hard to pass up.
I ran across an old rifle at a gun show that was quite impressive. Side by side with the left barrel 20g and the right barrel was some very old German cartridge. The guy selling it said they don't make that ammo anymore. Beautiful scrollwork on the receiver but 1700 was too much for a gun I couldn't shoot.

z987k

WKR
I ran across an old rifle at a gun show that was quite impressive. Side by side with the left barrel 20g and the right barrel was some very old German cartridge. The guy selling it said they don't make that ammo anymore. Beautiful scrollwork on the receiver but 1700 was too much for a gun I couldn't shoot.
Old german cartridge like a 7 or 8mm mauser?

RS3579

WKR
I came across a Savage model 24 17hmr/12 gauge on the Cabelas used rack about 6 years ago. It’s the perfect squirrel/turkey gun. I passed on the purchase and it’s my biggest gun regret. I look all the time for the same combo.