Combining Down Puffy(s) & Sleeping Bags

I am in the market for a down sleeping bag (probably WM) AND down puffy hoody AND down puffy pants (probably SG Grumman/Kuiu SDpro). I am going to have the puffys either way for planned long glassing sessions. What are your thoughts on combining warmer WM bag with the puffy pants/hoody for colder nights? Is this an effective technique or am I going to find out I this doesn't work as well as it sounds? Can I buy a WM 15 deg bag for weight savings and use it for 0 deg nights by utilizing puffies? Sounds like a versatile system??

tdot

WKR
In my experience in my 5 degree WM bag, I am comfortable at about 10-15 degrees, in my base layers. Mid layers I made it to about the bags rating. I dont know that puffies would get me a full 15 degrees below the bags rating. I would survive. I dont know that I would be loving it.

I've had better success bulking up the temp rating of my quilts with a 2nd quilt over top.

I had pretty good a experience combining puffies and lighter bag. First rifle in CO this year, temps dipped close to zero at night (some guys we met said their truck said negative 5, not sure how true that is). I was running a 20 degree Sierra designs quilt with my puffy pants, jacket, and a puffy vest and I slept comfortable - and I’m a cold sleeper. Only thing I’ll say is make sure you have good warm mittens because this method means you’re not trapping much extra heat in your actual bag. Same thing for your feet, either have some down booties or (my preference) heat up a liter of water before going to bed, pour it in a nalgene and toss that at the bottom of your bag. Keeps your toes warm and ensures you have liquid water in the am

Actually not that night- regretted that but didn’t remember that trick until the following night. So the real cold night I had cold toes but otherwise was pretty comfortable

VernAK

WKR
I've had great luck with wearing a polar fleece top and bottom and heavy socks when caught in weather colder than planned.

I remember when I was a kid that the thinking was that you actually sleep warmer when naked or only wearing light base layer in your bag but I believe that has been debunked (read an article on that at some point) so more layers are in general going to keep you warmer. With the caveat that if you’re compressing insulation you’ll lose that value. That’s why I like the down puffy with a quilt because I’m not as constricted as I would be with a traditional bag

I think that might work but haven't tested at those temps. Last week I used a Kelty 30 on a 26 degree night. At best it's a 40 degree bag (large rectangular) . Puffy on top and bottom was warm enough, but thick socks didn't keep my feet warm. I grabbed a pair of down "slippers" and will test those next outing. They only weigh 2.6 oz. You cannot walk in them outside. Strictly a light use tent sock.

renagde

WKR
I am in the market for a down sleeping bag (probably WM) AND down puffy hoody AND down puffy pants (probably SG Grumman/Kuiu SDpro). I am going to have the puffys either way for planned long glassing sessions. What are your thoughts on combining warmer WM bag with the puffy pants/hoody for colder nights? Is this an effective technique or am I going to find out I this doesn't work as well as it sounds? Can I buy a WM 15 deg bag for weight savings and use it for 0 deg nights by utilizing puffies? Sounds like a versatile system??

You should be fine in theory, but be sure to try it out before hitting the mountains. I used a 28 degree bag this year in 25 degree weather, and I only used my merino baselayers. I'm very confident that I could have been good for at least another 10 degrees with my puffy jacket and pants. I know for me, especially with the reputation that WM has for warm bags, I could get away with a 15 degree bag for zero degree temps. If you're going to carry the weight of puffy pants and jackets, you might as well put it to use during the night.

aion2come

WKR
The title of this thread got me thinking. Has anyone designed a puffy and then a zip-on 1/2 bag that would zip onto the puffy ... thereby eliminating the need for a full-length bag and reducing the amount of ounces you are carrying? Maybe a crazy idea but might work for early season...

Snyder did a great podcast on sleeping bags/systems/layering recently. Talked about a lot of these issues. Would advise checking out as it was informative and I consider myself pretty good with backpacking/sleep systems.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nunatak has such a system

combining additional clothing to boost a sleep system is nothing new and done all the time

how much additional rating you get is going to pretty individual due to metabolisms, also what puffies you’re using

also be cognizant of the room in the bag/quilt you use, too restrictive and you won’t be able to fully loft the puffies

Combining too light of a bag and puffy jacket/pants, potentially does not give you a very large margin of error. Find 6-7 ounces elsewhere that can be cut. Those in a WM bag (for example) can get you an additional 10+ degrees.

I worked with Nunatak to make a Jacket that uses a zipper on the bottom to add skirts or half bags. I also have Elephants foot to use with it as well. Ive sleept like this into the low 20s so far

Attachments

• nunutak.jpg
    nunutak.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 46

tdot

WKR
The title of this thread got me thinking. Has anyone designed a puffy and then a zip-on 1/2 bag that would zip onto the puffy ... thereby eliminating the need for a full-length bag and reducing the amount of ounces you are carrying? Maybe a crazy idea but might work for early season...

Mammut, Patagonia, and some other mountaineering companies have a system like that. I think they're generally referred to as an Elephant Foot bag, or something like that. More commonly used in rock climbing on big, multi day pitches, multi day races, etc. Uber weight sensitive applications.

tdot

WKR
I worked with Nunatak to make a Jacket that uses a zipper on the bottom to add skirts or half bags. I also have Elephants foot to use with it as well. Ive sleept like this into the low 20s so far
Is that your jacket? Jan sent me some pictures of it
I thought it was a pretty cool idea. Not what I was after, but cool idea. Nice work.

I believe jacks r better also has a quilt system similar to the hpg mountain serape. Basically the quilt can be worn as a greatcoat and would replace your puffy jacket. Not ideal for all applications but to cut some weight when heavy precipitation isn’t expected it’s intriguing

Is that your jacket? Jan sent me some pictures of it
I thought it was a pretty cool idea. Not what I was after, but cool idea. Nice work.

Yes it is.
Jan is great to work with! Its hard to find someone who will do real custom work like that
Hes done a few projects with me and is building me another lighter jacket where I can unzip the sleeping bag lower portion and wear it like a long skirt instead of puffy pants or ill just fold it up and wear it like the skirt i have shown above. The zipper on the bottom gives alot of options.
When the weather is warm i just wear the jacket upside like a quilt .