colorado unit 62 advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundance1

FNG
I was providing care for my 96 year old father so did not put in for any resident tags this year. My father passed, so now i'm trying to play catch up on trying to archery hunt this September. I am looking at unit 62 due to it's proximity to me. I am 69, have archery hunted elk for 35 years, so I am just looking for some info that any of you would be willing to PM me as to where are some good areas to hunt in that unit, I've hunted 61 twice so I know all about the onslaught of hunters and other noise making 2 legged creatures on that mesa. I am in the process of getting back in shape, but at 69, I am finding that doing 10 mile plus hunts every day hurts. I've Google earthed it extensively, just looking for PM advice that might save me some aches and pains, and minimize any mega purchasing of Tylenol.

As a sidebar, back about in the 3rd-4th year when unit 61 was opened up as a quality unit, my dad and i drew 2nd season rifle tags. Back then you could shoot spikes, and dad was sitting on a dead log in a light snow squall when a spike came meandering directly towards him, He said it was either shoot him or get ran over, so he shot him. His generation was all about the meat, so to him, it was a trophy. He harvested a few cows over his last season of life, but that spike was his only bull. How time flies, archery has consumed my life, have shot many bulls, but sometimes the best hunts are the ones where success is gauged by another ones joy. Years later, it's a shared memory between a father and a son, and as life is, the season comes where alone, the sons are left to carry the memories on. So, yes, this season is commited to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.