Colorado Unit 61 First Rifle Bear

NavyP-3

FNG
I just got my OTC bear tag to go with my Elk tag for first rifle in CO Unit 61. Any good tips on hunting a gut pile? Should I get a tree stand?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards,

Steve

I just got my OTC bear tag to go with my Elk tag for first rifle in CO Unit 61. Any good tips on hunting a gut pile? Should I get a tree stand?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards,

Steve

Never hunted a gut pile or from a tree stand. 61 is big canyon country. Your best bet since your rifle hunting is to glass the canyons and catch one moving around. I got a muzzleloader bear tag for 61 this morning. Good luck! Should be a great elk hunt too. Bull or cow?

So far everyone I have talked to that was camping up in 61/62 this last weekend, saw bears everyday they were up there. I drew my Sept. rifle bear tag for 62, I have not started scouting yet, but have a good idea where I am going to start looking soon.

Never hunted a gut pile or from a tree stand. 61 is big canyon country. Your best bet since your rifle hunting is to glass the canyons and catch one moving around. I got a muzzleloader bear tag for 61 this morning. Good luck! Should be a great elk hunt too. Bull or cow?

Bull tag. Since I can't put antlers up in my house. I will probably shoot he best Bull I see in the first two days and spend the rest of the time hunting for bears. I may shoot the bear first if I see it opening morning.

Best of luck to you and let me know where you are seeing the Elk.

Cheers,

Steve

Bull tag. Since I can't put antlers up in my house. I will probably shoot he best Bull I see in the first two days and spend the rest of the time hunting for bears. I may shoot the bear first if I see it opening morning.

Cheers,

Steve

Why can't you put antlers in your house?

Why can't you put antlers in your house?

I have what is an apparently air-tight verbal pre-nup with my wife.

I tagged a decent Muley 3 years ago at the Air Force Academy (You won't hear me bragging about having any deer hunting skills other than having the patience to wait 9 years to get an easy buck) and the head it is up at my father-in-law's house, but I don't know of anyplace where I can hang a nice bull and get to see it very often.

If I shoot a nice 6x6 or even a fat-antlered 5x5 I may have it mounted and sneak it up at my in-laws' and enjoy the hilarity that ensues, we'll see. I would probably euro mount the bones and have a nice vest or jacket made out of the skin.

Steve

You should have a chance at a 300+ bull within a few days up there if you put in some time hiking and behind the glass. It's a great hunt and you will see tons of elk. As far as the bears go they are usually pretty easy to find in the big oak brush canyons. The canyons with some timber and water in the bottom are usually the best. Some of the oak is deceptively tall so don't think a bear is going to stand out in it. A lot of the oak that looks 4' tall is more like 8' tall.

Thanks for the advice. I will be scouting this summer and will be there a few days before the season starts locating animals.

Steve

I'll be there first season too. We have a cabin on the plateau and my daughter has a cow tag for 61. Will probably just hunt around the cabin though, plenty of elk there usually.

I'll be there first season too. We have a cabin on the plateau and my daughter has a cow tag for 61. Will probably just hunt around the cabin though, plenty of elk there usually.

Did you get a bear tag as well? They were still under the CAP today. If not, give me your contact info and maybe I can sit on your gut-pile if you get one. Also, my trophies are meat and hides and if you don't plan on keeping the hide, I will make good use of it, maybe throw in some PBR or a single malt if that is your thing.

Best of luck to and your daughter. My ten year old little girl will go through hunter safety this summer. Nothing better than watching the kids be successful in the field.

Cheers,

Steve

Did you get a bear tag as well? They were still under the CAP today. If not, give me your contact info and maybe I can sit on your gut-pile if you get one. Also, my trophies are meat and hides and if you don't plan on keeping the hide, I will make good use of it, maybe throw in some PBR or a single malt if that is your thing.

Best of luck to and your daughter. My ten year old little girl will go through hunter safety this summer. Nothing better than watching the kids be successful in the field.

Cheers,

Steve

No, I didn't get her a bear tag. She's not real interested. If I kill a bear during the muzzleloader season I'll save the gut pile for you to sit on :cool:

NavyP-3, I was up in 61 / 62 this last weekend, the elk are looking good, saw a couple nice bulls in 61, no bears this trip. Look in the canyons in the mornings before it gets hot, you will do well.
Ross

Back