Colorado unit 49 fourth rifle

tdhanses

WKR
We are in the woods at 0500. I get jut inside and listen for elk talking and or movement.
Not in the woods, up above timberline, doesn’t sound like the elk are below 12k. If the elk are around you’ll see a crap ton of sign.

OP
netman

netman

WKR
Well to close this out. I scratched on getting a elk. I could have shot a spike early but I have seen what the unit offers so I decided to hold out.
On Saturday we decided to drop down in elevation and went to the bottom of the unit. I had been hunting at 11k and had some issues with the elevation. I had received several PM telling me to go lower.
There was sooooo much sign at 10k and above that I was not wanting to leave.
So we dropped down for a ‘hope we get lucky’ hunt. My buddy dropped me off at a big drainage and he went on down the road to hunt a place he cyber scouted.
Upon walking up through a dry creek bed I started climbing. Lots of deer tracks. I hiked for a while and found a good observation position. I set up there. Watched a beautiful sunset and after shooting hours were over I hiked back down to the road. While waiting on my buddy I decided to go back up the dry creek to grab a rock for my wife’s rock garden. Knowing my buddy was enroute to get me I double timed my pace up the creek. I got huffing and puffing so I slowed down. I’m looking for the rock and was walking up and down the creek with my headlamp shining around. All of a sudden I felt weird. Real weird. I thought I better set down. Before I could do anything I got hit by lightning and dropped down to the ground. I was laying there thinking I just got shot or struck by lightning. Then I thought that was my defibrillator that just shocked me. I got to my feet and grabbed my rifle. I unloaded it. I then walked down to the road as my buddy was pulling up. I told him what had just happened. He drove me to the truck and loaded the utv onto the trailer. We had no cell service so he asked me what I wanted to do. I said let’s go to the cabin. I told him I felt fine. He said my wife would kill him if I didn’t me to the hospital. So we drove to the hospital in Salida.
EKG was fine as was blood work. They were not capable of interpreting my defibrillator so the doctor said I could go.
So we went back to the cabin and loaded the trucks up. Then we got up early Sunday morning and started home.
I went to my hospital on Monday and got my device read.
If it wasn’t for bad luck I’d have no luck at all.
image.jpg

EZduzIT

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely had to go high for 4th season this year. Nice elk in this unit.

Maverick1

WKR
Well to close this out. I scratched on getting a elk. I could have shot a spike early but I have seen what the unit offers so I decided to hold out.
On Saturday we decided to drop down in elevation and went to the bottom of the unit. I had been hunting at 11k and had some issues with the elevation. I had received several PM telling me to go lower.
There was sooooo much sign at 10k and above that I was not wanting to leave.
So we dropped down for a ‘hope we get lucky’ hunt. My buddy dropped me off at a big drainage and he went on down the road to hunt a place he cyber scouted.
Upon walking up through a dry creek bed I started climbing. Lots of deer tracks. I hiked for a while and found a good observation position. I set up there. Watched a beautiful sunset and after shooting hours were over I hiked back down to the road. While waiting on my buddy I decided to go back up the dry creek to grab a rock for my wife’s rock garden. Knowing my buddy was enroute to get me I double timed my pace up the creek. I got huffing and puffing so I slowed down. I’m looking for the rock and was walking up and down the creek with my headlamp shining around. All of a sudden I felt weird. Real weird. I thought I better set down. Before I could do anything I got hit by lightning and dropped down to the ground. I was laying there thinking I just got shot or struck by lightning. Then I thought that was my defibrillator that just shocked me. I got to my feet and grabbed my rifle. I unloaded it. I then walked down to the road as my buddy was pulling up. I told him what had just happened. He drove me to the truck and loaded the utv onto the trailer. We had no cell service so he asked me what I wanted to do. I said let’s go to the cabin. I told him I felt fine. He said my wife would kill him if I didn’t me to the hospital. So we drove to the hospital in Salida.
EKG was fine as was blood work. They were not capable of interpreting my defibrillator so the doctor said I could go.
So we went back to the cabin and loaded the trucks up. Then we got up early Sunday morning and started home.
I went to my hospital on Monday and got my device read.
If it wasn’t for bad luck I’d have no luck at all.
View attachment 352042
Wow! Glad to see you are ok. Been on forums for quite a few years and never seen someone post their defibrillator graph as a reason for not filling a tag! LOL. Again, glad you are ok. (Blame the hunt outcome on the hunt for your wife’s phantom rock!)

ColoradoV

WKR
Good you went to the Dr as I was also in there Fri-Sun helping on a hunt and there were not any atmospheric conditions that would even allow for lightning…. Heck there was not a cloud in the sky.

Still the 3 guys I hunted with had solid hunt (I would post pics but they don’t want it) have to say after being in a otc unit for 3 rd chasing deer it sure was nice to be in a totally limited unit. Much different quality of elk.. Good to see the cpw so slowly moving to all draw for elk as the experience is much better.