Colorado second season boot insulation

Jaquomo

WKR
Well in that case I’d need to buy another pair of boots so might as well get some 400g anyway right?
That's what I would suggest, considering you have absolutely no idea what conditions will be like. If you get there and need something different you'll need a second mortgage to buy something suitable in the Vail-Eagle area.

As far as gaiters, I have five different pairs (I used to be a product field tester and also had a few sponsors). IMO, it's worth paying extra for a pair with Goretex or similar membrane.

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious, what leads you to believe the elk will be at 9,000 feet, and why are you packing in to someplace where you don't know if there are elk or not?

Please do us a favor (hardly anyone does..) - please come back after your hunt and tell us what worked and didn't work for you.
So I did research on my unit and the average for the second season is 9,000. But regardless that will be where we spike camp if the weather permits.

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
This may be off-topic, but have you ever backpack camped in serious winter conditions? Talking subzero temps with 18" of snow when you wake up a few miles from the truck? Boot insulation choices might be the least of your concerns.....
Yeah we get 3’ of snow in south lousiana every winter lol. If that last statement tells you anything, it should be that I’m a cold calling virgin. But I will say I’m putting that into account. I’m hoping the weather allows for a spike camp. If not I’ll camp in the truck. But I have gotten a zero degree sleeping bag and am looking for a good sleeping pad for the ground. I’m obviously going to have to play it by ear when my hunt comes up but I can remain hopeful for best conditions. But preparing for the worst case scenario is why I’m asking about boot insulation because I’m already buying other things to prep for cold weather and want to make sure I’m doing the best thing for the least amount of money haha

Jaquomo

WKR
Good that you're being open minded and preparing. One thing about that "average" elevation. That's like "average temperature". A big snow early in October can start them down to winter range, and a dry October might still find them high up on summer range.

But know that elk live at all elevations in Colorado, so don't lock yourself into a spot unless you know elk are there. Otherwise you can pack into someplace, find no elk, and the time you pack up, pack out and regroup, half the season is over.

Pro tip: put in a spike camp AFTER you find elk, unless you are packing in to a proven place where you have found elk year after year. Otherwise you may be hiking past the elk you want to hunt. My last bull was 200 yards off a busy county road, at 8000' in September, after I moved my camp down from 10,200'.

Jaquomo

WKR
My wife, midway through second season, 8 degrees at 10 am, 14" of snow, 8000 feet, 500 yards from a popular road, public land, OTC unit (leftover cow tag).

Put yourself in this photo and prepare accordingly.

Attachments

• IMG_20200214_121335_01.jpg
    IMG_20200214_121335_01.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 25
OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
My wife, midway through second season, 8 degrees at 10 am, 14" of snow, 8000 feet, 500 yards from a popular road, public land, OTC unit (leftover cow tag).

Put yourself in this photo and prepare accordingly.
Seems like 400g Danner might be the move

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
Good that you're being open minded and preparing. One thing about that "average" elevation. That's like "average temperature". A big snow early in October can start them down to winter range, and a dry October might still find them high up on summer range.

But know that elk live at all elevations in Colorado, so don't lock yourself into a spot unless you know elk are there. Otherwise you can pack into someplace, find no elk, and the time you pack up, pack out and regroup, half the season is over.

Pro tip: put in a spike camp AFTER you find elk, unless you are packing in to a proven place where you have found elk year after year. Otherwise you may be hiking past the elk you want to hunt. My last bull was 200 yards off a busy county road, at 8000' in September, after I moved my camp down from 10,200'.
Yes, my plan is to go the weekend before my season starts and try and locate some elk. My goal is to find the cows and set up a spike camp near that elevation. Easier said than done but I know if I find the cows I’ll find the bulls. I’m hunting an otc unit with some tough terrain so I feel like having a spike camp might be beneficial. Gonna try and hunt the Monday and Tuesday after the opening weekend to avoid the weekend pressure too

Jaquomo

WKR
Good luck, and be flexible. To quote the famous elk hunter, Mike Tyson, "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

And PLEASE report back after the season on how your plan worked out! Good luck!!

BTW, bulls were bugling all around us while we processed her cow. We called this one in, and I called seven cows in the evening before, but no clear shot.

Last edited:

Jaquomo

WKR
Yes, my plan is to go the weekend before my season starts and try and locate some elk. My goal is to find the cows and set up a spike camp near that elevation. Easier said than done but I know if I find the cows I’ll find the bulls. I’m hunting an otc unit with some tough terrain so I feel like having a spike camp might be beneficial. Gonna try and hunt the Monday and Tuesday after the opening weekend to avoid the weekend pressure too
Hunt every day you can. People move elk, and being in the woods in saddles or funnels when elk are moving can be golden. Any elk you find the weekend before can easily be moved miles on their own, or chain reaction, by the time you get back there.

I guided first and second season on a big private ranch not too far from where you're hunting, at the same elevation. I might find elk two days before my sports arrived, back out, and by the first hunting day the herd had wandered off across the Continental Divide and into a different unit. This was with NO human pressure.

Marble

WKR
Yeah that’s why it’s so hard to figure out. I’ll be hunting around the 9,000 mark since that’s likely where the elk will be. I’m looking at some 200g Irish setter elk tracker xd or 400g danner. I understand Crispi is the best but it’s hard to shell out that much money for a first elk hunt when I’m already shelling out so much for other initial gear.
I've had all three brands. Irish setter lasted one season. That happened twice. Won't buy them again.

The Danners, I still have. They are warm and very comfortable. But, carrying 100 pounds for a few miles ruins (bruises) my feet. With the Crispis, no issues with my feet.

The crispi boots are buy far the best. This will be my 4th season with them. They wear the same today as when they were new. So, what, maybe $450 for crispi boots, $250 for Danner, and not sure on the Irish setter. I'm money ahead with the Crispi. More comfortable, very durable, little to no maintenance.

Cheap things cost too much. I won't buy the cheaper boots ever again. I use either my non-insulated pair all year. The insulated pair gets used in the winter.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
Yeah I might eventually get a pair but my uninsulated elk trackers work fine. That’s why I’d considered the elk tracker cod for insulated pair since they have the 200g option
And just a thought on insulation. When I spoke with Lathrop and sons, 200 grams of primaloft insulation is equal to 400 grams of thinsulate.

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
Hunt every day you can. People move elk, and being in the woods in saddles or funnels when elk are moving can be golden. Any elk you find the weekend before can easily be moved miles on their own, or chain reaction, by the time you get back there.

I guided first and second season on a big private ranch not too far from where you're hunting, at the same elevation. I might find elk two days before my sports arrived, back out, and by the first hunting day the herd had wandered off across the Continental Divide and into a different unit. This was with NO human pressure.
Yeah I’m gonna hunt opening weekend and then the Monday and Tuesday. Unfortunately I have work so I have to go back to that. But maybe I can push it to Wednesday if needed haha

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
And just a thought on insulation. When I spoke with Lathrop and sons, 200 grams of primaloft insulation is equal to 400 grams of thinsulate.

Yeah the danners have 400g primal it so I was worried that might be too much

Marble

WKR
Yeah the danners have 400g primal it so I was worried that might be too much
IMO, it won't be. But asking this question to all of us, it is very subjective. It's a similar question to asking guys what jackets and layers you should wear during 2nd season. Everyone has an opinion because of the way people hunt, the conditions they are in, and how their body regulates heat.

I had thyroid cancer a few years ago, and after all my treatment, my hands are annoyingly prone to being very cold. So, even on a relatively warm day, I wear thin gloves when no one else wears them because my hands are all fouled up.

For me, I have both levels of insulation available to me. I generally carry extra socks on my pack in a plastic bag and frequently place my boots on the drier at night to ensure there is no residual moisture in the morning.

db3445

FNG
What do you mean by "backcountry"? Are you backpack camping in the "backcountry"? What elevation? So many variables. It can be 70 one day and snow 18" that night.

I used to guide in second season rifle, and now guide my wife. If I could only have two pairs, an uninsulated pair and 800 gram insulated, and deal with the sock situation for temperature swings. Our camp was at only 9400' and I had a couple horses so I could take two pairs.

But I've endured some unbelievable weather (See: stuck in a dome tent for eight days in the infamous "Blizzard of '84, on my freaking honeymoon, and we're lucky we didn't kill each other...) that made me REALLY happy to have insulated boots, and when I didn't need them, I didn't need them.
Hunted 2nd rifle in Unit 54 in CO last year. Went to bed with no snow on the ground the night before the season started and woke up to about 20 inches. Had a stuck truck with no chains! Learned a lot on my first ever elk hunt

kcm2

WKR
One year, we hunted about 40 miles W of Craig. The temperatures never got about -15 the first weekend. My feet were never cold in Bean boots with good wool socks. Take care of your core and the feet will be warm.

riley0819

FNG
How many grams of insulation should I be looking for in a boot for second season Colorado? I’m going to be do backcountry so I will be moving around but also sitting still at times too. 600g? Or is that overkill. I have some uninsulated boots so I need to get some an insulated pair as well
Quality socks like Darn Tough and Farm to Feet make the biggest difference, especially with the possibility of temperature swings.