Colorado second season boot insulation

Jethro

WKR
You’re on the verge of overthinking. Buy a pair 200-600. Take both. Make a decision at the truck based on weather forecast. You won’t die if your feet are cold or if they sweat. Nice thing about elk hunting, if your feet get cold, can always go for a hike.

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
You’re on the verge of overthinking. Buy a pair 200-600. Take both. Make a decision at the truck based on weather forecast. You won’t die if your feet are cold or if they sweat. Nice thing about elk hunting, if your feet get cold, can always go for a hike.
I get that, I’m just trying to figure out if I need to shell out a couple more hundred dollars on boots or if my uninsulated will do just fine with some booties. Trying to minimize the financial hit when I’m already having to buy all the other gear needed for a backcountry elk trip with a spike camp set up

I get that, I’m just trying to figure out if I need to shell out a couple more hundred dollars on boots or if my uninsulated will do just fine with some booties. Trying to minimize the financial hit when I’m already having to buy all the other gear needed for a backcountry elk trip with a spike camp set up
What boots do you have now? My advice is for uninsulated full leather boots and a good pair of gaiters. If your feet do get cold you have multiple options of warming them up. Moving around, starting a fire, switching to a pair of dry socks, or simply loosening laces while stationary to increase circulation can all take a good pair of uninsulated boots into very late seasons.

Any recommendation on an over the boot bootie? I can only seem to find artic shields and I don’t see many reviews about them for hunting in colorado
To be honest, I don’t think I would worry about using some kind of bootie. My last winter hunt was right after Christmas for my son. First day it was a little above 0 degrees and I only used full leather uninsulated boots with gaiters. There was about 10” of fresh snow as well. We walked to high points and glassed. When our feet got cold we would stand, stretch, wiggle toes, rock our feet, move around a little, etc. It doesn’t take long to warm them back up and if you loosen your laces some and move your toes a little it takes even longer for them to get cold. I’ve been doing this for many years.

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
What boots do you have now? My advice is for uninsulated full leather boots and a good pair of gaiters. If your feet do get cold you have multiple options of warming them up. Moving around, starting a fire, switching to a pair of dry socks, or simply loosening laces while stationary to increase circulation can all take a good pair of uninsulated boots into very late seasons.
Some Irish setter elk trackers full leather. I was gonna get a pair of kuiu gaiters

Marble

WKR
So what do you run? Insulated or noninsulated
Insulated in 2nd season almost all the time. If it's dry with warm temps, I'll do uninsulated.

Last couple of seasons, we have had some pretty cold temps (single digits nearly all day) and decent snow. I generally cover a lot of ground, but sometimes I'll need to stay put for a while. I haven't had issues with wet feet from sweat or anything like that. But my feet have gotten unbearably cold sitting, standing on packed snow or riding my horse.

And I wear a size 15. I can't put warmer liners like some people suggest. It's already tough enough finding a boot that fits and is comfortable.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Then what insulation do you recommend? I was going to just get some down booties for when I’m stationary to combat the cold
400g is good middle of the road. I use 800g with hot hands and can stay comfortable until it gets close to or below 0.

I have used the artic shield covers, they work but I hate using them in the tree stand due to noise.

Marble

WKR
Something to consider with the recommendations being made. There is a lot of variance in the altitude some of us are hunting at, along with different hunting styles. The lowest elevation I hunt is 8,500', and I primarily hunt around 10,000', with frequent days between 11,000' and 12,000'. There can be a huge change in conditions between the elevations. Sometimes, hunting on a north facing slope at a higher altitude, the temps can be significantly different than what the other side of the hill is. There can be such a swing in temps from one side of the mountain to the other that I'll have all my layers on one side and just a base layer on the other.

Some guys hunt areas in the 5,000' area and never even get into snow. Then you double the elevation, and it's like another world.

WCB

WKR
I'm an uninsulated on any "mobile" type hunt. Unless I am sitting in a ground blind or treed stand and it is freezing or colder.

Tighten boots when moving. If you sit down to glass or stop for any amount of time to eat or rest for 30min+...loosen your boots. Get a par of gaiters and bring an extra pair or two of socks out when you are hunting. Make sure your boots fit with the proper socks on...more socks doesn't equal warmer. most times it make your boots fit too tight and will make your feet colder.

Most of the time dry feet are warm feet. That why I say bring a couple pairs of extra socks so when your normal sweat that makes your feet dam. Swap them out. If you stop for lunch or plan on sitting anywhere for say more than 30minutes...build a fire and dry out boots and socks, shirts, or anything damp.

Also, take whatever I am saying with a grain of salt. Grew up here in MN playing hockey and spending all day and night at outdoor rinks or skating on lakes freezing my feet off. Warm bucket of water and tears were the norm when done...so cold feet don't really bother me.

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
Something to consider with the recommendations being made. There is a lot of variance in the altitude some of us are hunting at, along with different hunting styles. The lowest elevation I hunt is 8,500', and I primarily hunt around 10,000', with frequent days between 11,000' and 12,000'. There can be a huge change in conditions between the elevations. Sometimes, hunting on a north facing slope at a higher altitude, the temps can be significantly different than what the other side of the hill is. There can be such a swing in temps from one side of the mountain to the other that I'll have all my layers on one side and just a base layer on the other.

Some guys hunt areas in the 5,000' area and never even get into snow. Then you double the elevation, and it's like another world.

Yeah that’s why it’s so hard to figure out. I’ll be hunting around the 9,000 mark since that’s likely where the elk will be. I’m looking at some 200g Irish setter elk tracker xd or 400g danner. I understand Crispi is the best but it’s hard to shell out that much money for a first elk hunt when I’m already shelling out so much for other initial gear.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't get hung up on Crispi's, they just have a really good marketing campaign. I've owned 2 pairs and both make my feet blister. You can probably get by just fine with what you already have...

Edit to add, I think Crispi quality is great, they just don't work for my feet.

Last edited:
OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't get hung up on Crispi's, they just have a really good marketing campaign. I've owned 2 pairs and both make my feet blister. You can probably get by just fine with what you already have...
Yeah I might eventually get a pair but my uninsulated elk trackers work fine. That’s why I’d considered the elk tracker cod for insulated pair since they have the 200g option

What do you mean by liners?
A thin poly blend. You need to wick the moister from your feet. An old Skier trick is the spray your feet with antiperspirant before putting the socks on. Moister= cold feet. Another idea is to change your socks after you get to a glassing spot. One guy mentioned Gaters . They are a must in my opinion.

Jaquomo

WKR
What pair did you mostly use for second season. I don’t have the livery of carrying two in
All depends on the weather. Year before last when guiding my wife, I wore insulated pac boots with removable liners for 80% of the hunt. We were trudging through snow, and it was cold the whole week. Some years it's uninsulated-only, and tshirt weather in the afternoons. This will be my 55th year of hunting and_or guiding in CO during that time, at roughly the same elevation as the Vail area. There are no "average" coonditions.

Jaquomo

WKR
Just curious, what leads you to believe the elk will be at 9,000 feet, and why are you packing in to someplace where you don't know if there are elk or not?

Please do us a favor (hardly anyone does..) - please come back after your hunt and tell us what worked and didn't work for you.

Jaquomo

WKR
This may be off-topic, but have you ever backpack camped in serious winter conditions? Talking subzero temps with 18" of snow when you wake up a few miles from the truck? Boot insulation choices might be the least of your concerns.....

Some Irish setter elk trackers full leather. I was gonna get a pair of kuiu gaiters
I’d take what you have now and not worry about it. Make sure you treat them with a good leather treatment and use the money you were going to spend on other boots to buy more ammo and practice with your rifle.

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
I’d take what you have now and not worry about it. Make sure you treat them with a good leather treatment and use the money you were going to spend on other boots to buy more ammo and practice with your rifle.
What gaiters do you like? I have the opportunity to get some outdoor research crocs for $55. Or do I shell out for kuiu Yukons?

Mcseal

FNG
No insulation but have good socks, such as Darn Tough Hunters. Gaiters are very nice to have in the snow or wet conditions. Always have a backup pair of boots in your truck.

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
No insulation but have good socks, such as Darn Tough Hunters. Gaiters are very nice to have in the snow or wet conditions. Always have a backup pair of boots in your truck.
Well in that case I’d need to buy another pair of boots so might as well get some 400g anyway right?