Colorado second season boot insulation

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
How many grams of insulation should I be looking for in a boot for second season Colorado? I’m going to be do backcountry so I will be moving around but also sitting still at times too. 600g? Or is that overkill. I have some uninsulated boots so I need to get some an insulated pair as well

Jaquomo

WKR
What do you mean by "backcountry"? Are you backpack camping in the "backcountry"? What elevation? So many variables. It can be 70 one day and snow 18" that night.

I used to guide in second season rifle, and now guide my wife. If I could only have two pairs, an uninsulated pair and 800 gram insulated, and deal with the sock situation for temperature swings. Our camp was at only 9400' and I had a couple horses so I could take two pairs.

But I've endured some unbelievable weather (See: stuck in a dome tent for eight days in the infamous "Blizzard of '84, on my freaking honeymoon, and we're lucky we didn't kill each other...) that made me REALLY happy to have insulated boots, and when I didn't need them, I didn't need them.

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
So I’ll be packing in and camping around 9000’ avg and moving around all day. I have an uninsulated pair but was told it could get cold so I want another pair to have in case. The boot so have are uninsulated irish setter elk trackers and they were cold sitting in a tree stand in the hill country of Texas, so that’s another reason I figured I’d need a more insulated boot

Jethro

WKR
I've hunted 2nd rifle 2x. 1 with lows below zero, wore 400g. 2nd time lows only in teens and wore uninsulated the whole season. Sitting booties are a good idea.

Marble

WKR
How many grams of insulation should I be looking for in a boot for second season Colorado? I’m going to be do backcountry so I will be moving around but also sitting still at times too. 600g? Or is that overkill. I have some uninsulated boots so I need to get some an insulated pair as well
This kind of depends on how well your feet stay warm. Some guys never want any, others want super warm 1000 gram boots. For me, 200 grams of primaloft or 400 grams of thinsulate work just fine.

A good wool sock with boots that fit properly that are not too tight should work. If I'm hiking, I'll tighten them up. If I'm sitting, I pay loosen them a bit.

I've never had an issue with wet feet in second season because of warmth.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

As long as I'm moving, I've never had my feet get cold in uninsulated boots and merino socks- including some mountain lion hunts in the teens/snow (all hiking- no snowmobiling/side-by-side/etc).
Sitting still is another story. I don't sit very often, so my solution is battery heated socks in my non-insulated boots. The socks aren't good for hiking because the wires will make blisters on the tips of my toes after ~4 miles, so I'll carry them with me and change if I have to.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
Negative on the insulation. It’s just going to make your feet sweat more when you’re moving which = colder feet when you’re not moving.

You should bring a second pair though, I’ve dealt with snow 2 years in a row for second season and was really happy to have a spare pair of boots to switch to midweek once mine were saturated with water.

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted 2nd rifle 2x. 1 with lows below zero, wore 400g. 2nd time lows only in teens and wore uninsulated the whole season. Sitting booties are a good idea.
Any recommendation on sitting booties?

Poser

WKR
600 is way too much for 2nd rifle in CO. If its a cold year, 200g tops. Uninsulated is way more practical for the vast majority of years. Like others said, have a strong sock game. You can wear mountaineering socks in the mornings, just have to loosen your boots a bit. Have thinner socks to change into as the day warms up. Booties for glassing and camp.

With insulated boots, you'll need a way to dry them out overnight. Otherwise, they won't dry and will be frozen.

Jethro

WKR
Any recommendation on sitting booties?
Kind of. I don't have any, but I've tried my buddy's, which I believe are GooseFeet Gear. He had the down booty and they're warm, for sitting ONLY. Can put a hand warmer pad in too. He had their overboot too. Slides over down booty for walking around. By that I mean walking around a little in camp or at your glassing spot, not hiking in them.

Maybe he'll chime in here with more details. @huntabsarokee

Last edited: