Colorado S34

Any previous S34 Hunters who care to impart some knowledge sure would be appreciated. PM me and I'll be sure to respond.

Jimbo V

WKR
S34 doesn't have desert sheep. But what always gets me is the number of hunters that draw this hunt with 3 and 2 points.

I'll be sure to remind you when I draw with 3/2. Won't put in for though until I can consistently group at 20 yards. Which might put me closer to 3 and 5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

critrgitr

Lil-Rokslider
There's always quite a bit of chatter about that unit over on bowsite since it's an archery only hunt. Did you draw the 1st or 2nd season?

OP
Dakotakidz
2nd season. Yes, I've been there. The first season hunter has a post over there, so didn't want to hi-jack his post. I've reached out to him.

Dakotakidz,

Congrats on your 2nd Season S34 tag! I drew the 1st Season Ram tag. I will help you as much as I can. I have some good info so far on the unit. I know a few guys that have harvested there Ram in the unit over the years and have spoken to a couple other guys that have hunted it. Shoot me a message and I will give you my contact info and we can talk on the phone.

PS...I'm one of the guys who drew with 3 +1

jmart5687

FNG
Restarting this thread. I’m curious how the OP’s hunt went. I read the other posts on bowsite and am looking to try for S34. Just looking for more info. I have this bad habit of convincing myself that I have a shot every year.

My good buddy had that tag last year and I went along as a helper. Personally there’s no way I’d be happy with drawing that tag. Sure, the success rate and trophy potential are both high but you’re basically hunting a captive band of sheep who will let you walk right up to them. The hardest part of the hunt was driving by Chick-Fil-A every day and not stopping

jmart5687

FNG
My good buddy had that tag last year and I went along as a helper. Personally there’s no way I’d be happy with drawing that tag. Sure, the success rate and trophy potential are both high but you’re basically hunting a captive band of sheep who will let you walk right up to them. The hardest part of the hunt was driving by Chick-Fil-A every day and not stopping
Thank you for the reply. I assumed the hunting would be different, but I figured that was due to it being archery only.

I couldn’t agree more. There are some nice rams in there, but it’s not even close to what a true sheep hunt represents.

WKR
Wonder why 2nd season is lower draw odds than 1st season? 2 in 155 for 2nd season.

That unit is known for big sheep, the old World Record P&Y ram was shot in there back in the day. If I recall, one of the younger Bethune (spelling) kids arrowed a 190ish ram out of there as well. Still big rams, but it’s really a weird hunt with the subdivision right below you.

S34.....Doy Curtis took a P&Y World Record ram scoring 179" in 1977 in S34. Bob Renner topped it two years later in 1979 with a WR 183" ram from S34. Gene Moore arrowed a 193" WR ram in S34 in 1983 to take back the P&Y WR from a 1982 Alberta ram that had held it for a year.

Doy, Bob and Gene were all friends and members of the Denver based American Bowman Club. There were quire a few large Bighorns arrowed there over the years. Bob Renner went on to become one of the early archery Grand Slammers...#6 if I remember correctly.

Fetty Wapiti

Lil-Rokslider
S34 has good genetics, but with the numbers taken each year the age classes just aren't there. There are several units that aren't far away that have had some really special rams taken in the last few years. I wouldn't burn points on s34 imho