Colorado OTC Whitetail tags - is it worth it?

khafen74

FNG
I'm looking into the Colorado OTC Whitetail tags. I realize this is not a hunt where I would see lots of deer. These tags appear to be for units at the fringe of Whitetail range and the intent seems to be to prevent Whitetails from encroaching on Mule Deer (maybe I'm wrong on this, just guessing). Anyway, just trying to gauge what to expect on a hunt like this. Do these units have findable Whitetails, or is it a long shot to even lay eyes on a huntable deer? I realize most Whitetails are probably on private land. Are there pockets on public land also, or is it not even worth considering a public land hunt?

Rich M

WKR
CO is a big state - where you wanna hunt?

We did a 2019 muley hunt and the guys with me saw 3 does and a busted up 8 pt WT on public. We saw some others on private near public. There were quite a few guys roaming around looking for WT.

We saw some muleys too, was a fun hunt.

Mattman215

Lil-Rokslider
They are money making schemes, way too many hunters and low density of deer. Its possible but mostly a waste of time and money.

OP
khafen74

khafen74

FNG
CO is a big state - where you wanna hunt?

We did a 2019 muley hunt and the guys with me saw 3 does and a busted up 8 pt WT on public. We saw some others on private near public. There were quite a few guys roaming around looking for WT.

We saw some muleys too, was a fun hunt.
Cool, thanks for the good info!

Rich M

WKR
You need to think about the habitat where WT would be. Then go find you some sign and sit and wait.

We split up to go watch diff areas and the WT habitat had WT, the muley habitat had muleys. Then we switched to muley habitat.

The guys looking for WT deer were roaming far and wide, and never set up shop in the WT habitat. I do think it is a low success kind of thing.