Colorado OTC elk units

J.flanagan

Lil-Rokslider
Do the units available for OTC elk hunts in Colorado change year to year or are they pretty consistent? Starting to plan a first Colorado hunt for next year but not sure how much time to put into planning on a specific unit if it might not be included in the OTC units for elk.

cnelk

WKR
I haven’t heard of any more units going to draw for next year on the agenda items.

But that’s not to say some couldn’t

TheHammer

WKR
For next year you should be ok. This year from last,,,,,,, well that’s a different story! Plan on running into other hunters almost daily! Unless you hunt 82😂😂😂😂😂
Then the only people you run into is search and rescue.

TheHammer

WKR
I ran into search and rescue on my way out from a hunt. They were relieved to see me. But once I told them I didn’t know of anyone else in there and there was no sign. They were perplexed. They then informed me in the last couple years they had pulled 8 bodies out of the canyon I was in. I understand why.

Dwight2180

Lil-Rokslider
I ran into search and rescue on my way out from a hunt. They were relieved to see me. But once I told them I didn’t know of anyone else in there and there was no sign. They were perplexed. They then informed me in the last couple years they had pulled 8 bodies out of the canyon I was in. I understand why.
Dang. That's a lot.

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
Been consistent for many years. But that will likely all change in the next few years.

TheHammer

WKR
Been consistent for many years. But that will likely all change in the next few years.
Except the southern units…. Wasn’t too long ago most of the 70s were otc, then last year the big shock of 80/81 along with that was 78… displaced a lot of NR. Great for the elk. I wouldn’t be surprised if all states go under a complete restructuring. Especially Colorado and tags being 2g

Except the southern units…. Wasn’t too long ago most of the 70s were otc, then last year the big shock of 80/81 along with that was 78… displaced a lot of NR. Great for the elk. I wouldn’t be surprised if all states go under a complete restructuring. Especially Colorado and tags being 2g
I hunt a ranch in 78/81, and it was OTC (2nd Rifle) for 2022. Did it change??

Hunting with Banded Peak outfitters, about 8 miles up the valley from the Chromo post office. Bull tag, so I guess that's B ? I don't like the restructuring of the hunt dates. 2nd rifle starts the last Saturday of October now, so it seems pretty late. Most of the Elk are heading to lower elevations by then.

Last edited:

Phaseolus

WKR
82 is the western side of the Sangre de Cristo range, it is very rugged and steep. Several people, hikers/climbers, have died in the past few years just in the northern area I'm familiar with.
Keep in mind the deaths are coming from climbing very tough 14,000’ mountains, not from hunters or tourons.

TheHammer

WKR
Keep in mind the deaths are coming from climbing very tough 14,000’ mountains, not from hunters or tourons.
Do you have a source for that? The information I was given dictates that. S&r gave me a couple stories of hunters being cliffed out, one even had a ram in his pack. Some found alive others weren’t as lucky. They advised to always have basic first aid, emergency shelters, food and water, as they believe most could’ve survived With those things. What I found is you can climb up a lot of ridges, but coming down is a different story. No 14k peaks in the area I was in. 5 over 13. I believe the only 14 in that region is mostly private, idk for sure how much of the mountain is part of that ranch.

Hunting with Banded Peak outfitters, about 8 miles up the valley from the Chromo post office. Bull tag, so I guess that's B ? I don't like the restructuring of the hunt dates. 2nd rifle starts the last Saturday of October now, so it seems pretty late. Most of the Elk are heading to lower elevations by then.
If you had a 2nd season OTC bull tag it was list A.

Phaseolus

WKR
Do you have a source for that? The information I was given dictates that. S&r gave me a couple stories of hunters being cliffed out, one even had a ram in his pack. Some found alive others weren’t as lucky. They advised to always have basic first aid, emergency shelters, food and water, as they believe most could’ve survived With those things. What I found is you can climb up a lot of ridges, but coming down is a different story. No 14k peaks in the area I was in. 5 over 13. I believe the only 14 in that region is mostly private, idk for sure how much of the mountain is part of that ranch.
Little Bear 14,036’, Ellingwood 14,066’, Lindsay 14,043‘, Crestone 14,253’, Crestone Needle 14,197’, Kit Carson 14,174‘, Humboldt 14,167’. Humboldt, Lindsey, and Ellingwood are a few miles over into 86, and 861. Blanca is Private. I’ve climbed them.

TheHammer

WKR
Little Bear 14,036’, Ellingwood 14,066’, Lindsay 14,043‘, Crestone 14,253’, Crestone Needle 14,197’, Kit Carson 14,174‘, Humboldt 14,167’. Humboldt, Lindsey, and Ellingwood are a few miles over into 86, and 861. Blanca is Private. I’ve climbed them.
Awesome! I’ll have to look up their geographic locations, to see how close/wrong I am/could be. That country is serious stuff.

As for the license. An A should have been blue (my experience) and yellowish green is B tag??

Phaseolus

WKR
Awesome! I’ll have to look up their geographic locations, to see how close/wrong I am/could be. That country is serious stuff.

As for the license. An A should have been blue (my experience) and yellowish green is B tag??
They have been all green for quite some time. If it was a bull tag it wasn’t a B tag.