Colorado Northwest Virtual Meeting 2-15

Carr5vols

WKR

Link for Colorado Northwest Caucasus tonight. Virtual Meeting.

bentarrow

FNG
Seems to b a vendetta on archery. The otc gun seasons r much more impactful on the animal population. Many more gun hunters vs archery. Can't give up all the dollars. Ask the questions!

Because the rut takes place during archery...the biggest problem is the number of hunters pushing elk during the rut. This has pushed the rut into late September early October, a delay in breeding equals later calving, later calving equals more lost calves to winter due to being underweight, less calves equals less elk. Rifle hunting in the OTC seasons has no effect on the rut.
Also, large numbers of archery hunters in areas that back up to large private ranches push the elk out of public land sooner, and reduce hunting opportunities, as well as causing conflict with Ag producers. All draw for Grand Mesa is great news.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Also, large numbers of archery hunters in areas that back up to large private ranches push the elk out of public land sooner, and reduce hunting opportunities, as well as causing conflict with Ag producers. All draw for Grand Mesa is great news.
That’s a piss poor excuse used by rifle hunters. You want to see elk move, be in a rifle Otc unit the first 15 minutes of legal shoot time. It’s a mass exodus.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Because the rut takes place during archery...the biggest problem is the number of hunters pushing elk during the rut. This has pushed the rut into late September early October, a delay in breeding equals later calving, later calving equals more lost calves to winter due to being underweight, less calves equals less elk. Rifle hunting in the OTC seasons has no effect on the rut.
neither does archery. Elk rut when it’s time to rut. They’ll rut in the middle of I-70 if a cow comes in. I was rifle hunting in 1st rifle and a bull was breeding cows, I assume second cycle.

That’s a piss poor excuse used by rifle hunters. You want to see elk move, be in a rifle Otc unit the first 15 minutes of legal shoot time. It’s a mass exodus.
That's the official line from CPW. It has been stated many times for the Gunnison basin units that this a major issue, hence the conversion of many units to draw there years ago. Either way, was just pointing it out, I hunt archery, rifle, and ML, whatever I draw. Never seem to have issues finding elk during any season. I would like to see the OTC rifle seasons go to capped OTC to reduce the mayhem. It is true that this seems to be focused more on bowhunters currently.

Ucsdryder

WKR
That's the official line from CPW. It has been stated many times for the Gunnison basin units that this a major issue, hence the conversion of many units to draw there years ago. Either way, was just pointing it out, I hunt archery, rifle, and ML, whatever I draw. Never seem to have issues finding elk during any season. I would like to see the OTC rifle seasons go to capped OTC to reduce the mayhem. It is true that this seems to be focused more on bowhunters currently.
Same here. I’m equal opportunity on tags. I just want less overall pressure.