Colorado Mule Deer

I'm headed to Meeker, Colorado in November for 3rd season mule deer hunt. What can I expect for weather, shot distances, and quality of animals. Thanks in advance.

Medic727

FNG
It will probably be cold with a good chance of snow. Unless its unseasonably warm and sunny. In that case it might rain. Sometimes its windy. Sometimes its not. If you don't like the current weather conditions when you are hunting, just wait a few hours and it will change. Enjoy Colorado!

I will be hunting Unit 12 3 rd season just outside of Meeker. Hunted there 2 years ago for elk. during 1st season. It was in the 40's once the sun came up at camp, but when we got above 8,000 we had snow. Couple of mornings it was in the teens, but warmed up. This year it's elk and mule deer.

We saw a lot of mule deer. Had one doe with a radio collar with a little one walk up to us on a trail. Guide said I must have looked like a pumpkin to her!!!!! Another time we walked up on a herd of at least 20, no big bucks, at least according to the guide, he called them dinks, being from the east and a whitetail hunter I called them big!!!!!

The camp had several apple trees and the mule deer where coming into to eat them. We were over picking some and a couple of does and a medium size buck were watching us. I threw a couple of apples near them and they all ran over like dogs!!!! Pretty funny.

I'm preparing for everything from the 40's to cold and snowy. Plan on using lots of layers. When climbing we go pretty warm, but sitting around glassing it got cold!!!!!! I'll be much better prepared this year.

Sako76

WKR
I hunted Meeker in 2017 and it was 75 for a high, I've hunted in Hamilton 3rd season and it was 10 degrees with 18" of snow. Shot distances from 100 yards to 500+. There are mostly raghorn elk and some really nice deer out there. Good luck.

I hunted drew that in ‘18 as a NR. Hunted with my 83 year old Grandpa and did it more for the memories than a trophy. Lots of good bucks on private. Saw a 180+ cross the street in downtown meeker. Night before opener saw 9 does at SWA west of town. Opening morning was on a nice 170” symmetrical buck in SWA 4 minutes before legal light though I could see clearly through Vortex Viper 50mm scope. Chased him all morning and ended up shooting a 3x3 that night on BLM between Meeker and the SWA by using OnX while driving the highway. We had spent the whole day prior to that driving and glassing BLM not even seeing does. A solid plan out there is hike to a peak before sunrise and glass from what I was seeing other successful hunters do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cgerk

FNG
Weather most years will be in the 30-50's. If you're lucky it will snow right before the hunt or during. Glass for deer in the scrub oak. Especially those spots with access to open sage fields. Really focus on the timber and still hunt it all day if the weather is warm. Most of the bigger buck's that I have bumped into have been in the thicker timber. Shots generally are 100-400 yards in most cases, but you should be ready for anything. The pressure is high, but there is some quality deer still there. Good luck!

wildcat33

WKR
I hunted 11 in third season for a few years. It can warm, it can be low teens. Snow is common but not as deep as further east. Bring tire chains if you plan to go off paved roads.

There are deer. Like anywhere, you have to be crafty to find the bigguns.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Sounds like everybody else nailed it on the weather. The sage in that country makes it easy to get close, but if you will have the opportunity for long far shots as well!