Colorado Hunting - Synthetic vs Down

The Angelo Kid

Lil-Rokslider
I recently got back from my first ever western hunt. A mule deer hunt in Colorado that unfortunately yielded no meat. Out of the seven day hunt I think we got rain on four of the afternoons/evenings. My dad and I both had synthetic bags while the other three men in our party had down bags.

My question is what are most folks who hunt Colorado using? It's not like it's the Pacific Northwest but I guess I saw enough rain to make me think staying with a synthetic bag is the way to go, especially when you are sleeping on a slope using a tarp as your shelter. Just curious how much of an issue getting a sleeping bag wet has been for you guys.

Much obliged for the help.

Poser

WKR
I use down in CO even on multi day Bike trips during Monsoon season. The only issue I’ve had is one of tarp condensation either dripping back on the bag/quilt or from rubbing against the tarp. I’ve been using a bivy sack lately which has solved that problem completely (since I toss and turn a lot, it also keeps everything in my sleep system together + gives me the option to sleep without setting up a tarp), but that wetness has only ever been superficial and I’ve never had a bag/quilt that was soaked through. Go with what you are comfortable with, but I’d see no reason to avoid down in CO.

parshal

WKR
Same here. I only use down in CO and don't see any issue unless you drop the bag in a river.

OP
T

The Angelo Kid

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input. I guess being from Texas and a newbie to western hunting the fear of a useless sleeping bag drove me to synthetic.

mlgc20

WKR
I use down anywhere I hunt or backpack, including Colorado and the Pacific Northwest. Many of the decent bags/quilts have a DWR on the outside and the internal down itself is specially treated as well. I wouldn't want to use it in a direct rain storm. But, condensation and even some blowing rain isn't going to be a big deal.

schwaf

Lil-Rokslider
Down all the way. If it gets wet there's usually enough sun during the day to dry it out.