Colorado Hunting Atlas questions about elk summer concentrations

Bearshirt

FNG
How accurate is the Colorado Dow hunting Atlas? I have noticed for the area I have been looking at for years it has changed little as far as elk summer concentrations. I have also found elk and good sign in areas where summer concentrations are not marked(which would be expected). Are the summer concentration areas a place to avoid if they are limited in space since these areas might draw lots of other hunters? The unit Im looking at it seems to show summer areas in a spot that is very easy access and receives lots of hunting pressure and then in another area it is a smaller area and not as spread out. Also fairly easy access. So would you look there or avoid these areas if going to a new spot? It seems like the elk when I scouted last year were mostly spread out a lot. I did see a few groups of cows maybe 6-10 total but mostly 2-3 sized groups.

How often is this information changed and updated on the Atlas?

Some of the summer concentration areas are in spots I have scouted so if these areas could potential see more pressure then I might move those farther down the line for areas to check out. We are going the first 2 weeks of the archery season. I know there wont be as much calling during the day (we will be out listening at night) but I have scouted and have a few places to start. Hoping to do some glassing and some sitting on wallows and game trails if they have good sign. I know its 90% looking for them and 10% hunting them when you find them.

When do the hunter statistics come out for 2015?

Thanks for any info you guys might have.

gauge

Lil-Rokslider
If you are finding elk and good sign in different areas, then why worry about what the atlas says? If you find elk in areas the map shows no elk then maybe you can avoid other people. That is why scouting can be productive.
2015 report has been out for a month or so I believe.

OP
Bearshirt

Bearshirt

FNG
One of the areas I want to hunt shows part of the elk summer range as being in this area. There are not any trails in the area Im going and access is a little tricky but not bad. I did find good sign around there last year. I do have more places to check then I can check so I wasn't sure if I should move this spot farther down the list. Do seasoned hunters avoid these areas?

Do guys who are successful stay away from these areas marked as summer range? Since they may draw other hunters? I know one of my good spots in Michigan on public the DNR years ago marked a map to show where good deer habitat was and one of the areas was one of my honey holes. It screwed it up for years and it still has not fully recovered.

Bar

Banned
Keep in mind summer concentrations are when the elk have no pressure. As soon as hunting seasons start the elk will move. The map doesn't show those areas. You only find those by scouting during those times of year.

As to how accurate they are? I nver paid much attention to those. I believe what I see with my own eyes. Not someone elses. If you found the areas by just looking at a map. You can bet a lot of others have done the same thing. That will make it crowded. Even if there's no elk there.

PWCGray

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
That data has huge variation in accuracy, same as harvest data, counts, etc... I mean HUGE

Also, as other's point out summer range is irrelevant to September location. Big prerut move and big behavioral change with those hormones.

With the calf predation off the charts now in Colorado you might be surprised with the rutting activity you encounter in the first two weeks. Dry cows cycle in early, and sadly 70-80% of our cows are now dry by February.

OP
Bearshirt

Bearshirt

FNG
That data has huge variation in accuracy, same as harvest data, counts, etc... I mean HUGE

Also, as other's point out summer range is irrelevant to September location. Big prerut move and big behavioral change with those hormones.

With the calf predation off the charts now in Colorado you might be surprised with the rutting activity you encounter in the first two weeks. Dry cows cycle in early, and sadly 70-80% of our cows are now dry by February.

What predator is killing the calfs ? Bears or cats?

PWCGray

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
bears are #1 in our area. cats a far #2.

The issue is that the bear kill is happening in the first few days of life and is 100% additive in nature, meaning the prey wouldn't have died anyways (sick, weak, etc...). I don't think anybody should get a cow tag in CO until they have checked a bear in :)

I don't observe much predation from coyotes, but that could be very specific to my area. One thing nice with coyotes is that a big chunk of their kills on ungulates are on animals that would otherwise die anyways, sick, weak, old, etc... Not sure if that holds true on calves/fawns

Use the hunt atlas as a general guide. Look for rough areas where concentration, migration corridors, and resident herds overlap or as close as you can get too it.. It is all just a starting point

Tberg

Lil-Rokslider
I've found that the ranges they depict are not really meant to guide hunters. They're general areas where elk may be throughout the seasons. They are used by GnF agencies to try to determine their species plans an data analysis for a unit. But they are a good starting point. Try to find the elky areas that offer graze, security, water, and escape routes within the general areas.

kfrazier

FNG
In the three areas I scout and hunt the summer range shown on the Colo DOW hunting atlas is really scary accurate. However, I don't see it affecting where I see bow hunters concentrated very much at all. The hunters I see are mostly concentrated based on ease of access or outfitter camp locations. Hope that helps.