Colorado GMU444 ELK 2024

Just got a turkey in Colorado’s GMU444. Seemed like a great area for elk, beyond where I nabbed the turkey, so I’m headed back for 3rd rifle season with my pops and we’re hoping for elk meat in the freezer by weeks end!

Headed out to scout this Sunday(10/19/24) so I’ll have a much better idea of what my planned spots on OnX will be like. But for now I’m here starting my first thread and wondering:

- Got any good hunt stories from this unit?
- Have you hunted Colorado gmu444? Specifically for elk but any type of hunting there I’d love to hear about.
- Any luck with elk, turkey, jackrabbits, or mule deer?
- Got any tips for elk around this unit?
- Where’s the best Mexican food between Aspen and Glenwood Springs?(post hunt meals always better with a nice shot of tequila and some delicious salsa)

And finally I know this question is very specific but has anyone noticed a change in elk and deer population since the big fire in that unit in 2018, Lake Christine Fire?
It was massive and just wondered if there were any big changes to the herds in this unit.

Maverick1

WKR
  1. Do not make your first post asking for knowledge of certain areas. Every year the members of Rokslide see the same posts regurgitated over and over again that look something like this....... "Hey guys, I drew unit 1234567 tag and never been there where is the best spots to go?" 90% of the time, this is the user's FIRST post, and many times their last post as well, as they never return to post on the forum again. People are more likely to share information with people they somewhat trust, (as much trust as u can give someone on an online forum anyway) that they have seen contributing to the forum, posting and commenting for some time etc. I guarantee there is a difference in the amount and type of feedback someone gets who posts the above question as their 1st post vs someone posting the same questions and it's there 500th post. In general I’d say make an introduction post, some congratulations comments or thanks for any helpful info you find, use the like button instead posting something like “good, okay”. Show some enthusiasm and initiative towards the hunt your asking questions about also gratitude to those who answer. Oh, a trip report is a great way to show thanks to the guy who shared their information with you.
  2. Now unfortunately we aren't letting FNG's (new guys) post up unit specific questions. Any unit question/answers remain out in the world wide webs forever, which can doom some really great spots.
    The expectation is that all Rokslide members will understand and support this concept and take all such conversations to private message.
    Yes, it's a hassle to join and be part of this community but the rewards are worth the effort including the ability to send and receive private messages.

Marble

WKR
Yep.. no Unit numbers with hunting specific questions allowed. Specifically for posts like this.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
JackRabbitBlaster
Gotcha… my bad. Sorry I’m a curious hunter.

I didn’t talk about specific areas gmu444 is a massive unit. Out of 250k elk tags sold less then 5k elk are taken we could be a little more liberal with out sharing without causing detrimental damage to the Colorado hunting scene

Just curious how the species are doin there, past hunt stories, and any info others are willing to share. I can’t pm do to lack of activity for now. Thanks for the reminder but the thread still stands.

Just looking for info on 444, NOT SPECIFIC HUNTING AREAS(hence I didn’t mention where I’m hunting or want to hunt).

OP
JackRabbitBlaster
Yep.. no Unit numbers with hunting specific questions allowed. Specifically for posts like this.

Dam… thanks yall!

I figured specific hunt areas would imply(TO ME) STL, SWA, specific gulch’s, specific roads and field… not GMU.

I’ll delete the post I guess? Or maybe yall can contact and rokslide and let em know… anyways… have a great night ya old grumpy hunters!

Marble

WKR
Dam… thanks yall!

I figured specific hunt areas would imply(TO ME) STL, SWA, specific gulch’s, specific roads and field… not GMU.

I’ll delete the post I guess? Or maybe yall can contact and rokslide and let em know… anyways… have a great night ya old grumpy hunters!
We just don't want our spots blown up. It's best to private message someone for info like that. Otherwise, whatever info is posted is there for everyone in the world to see.

OP
JackRabbitBlaster
You got a turkey. That’s a great start.
Ya huge flock in super accessible land. First day was spent hustling around the area chatting up the hens and then went back the next day and took a nice 12lb. hen bright and early the next morning.

Planning to head back for a spring Gobbler! Limited draw so 🤞🤞🤞