Colorado flat tops situation?

I saw very few deer while I was there tooling around this year. A lot less than when I was there a few years ago pre-bad winter, and I mean a LOT less.

OP
T

Treeratslayer

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe it was the late 90s, early 2000s, but it was a long time ago and it definitely affected the deer numbers for a looong time.

The winter kill was well documented here on RS, and thousands of deer and elk were wiped out between Colorado and WYo.
I guess they didnt get the memo to migrate.

Good luck on your hunt - you're gonna need it

Oh no doubt it killed a lot. Was a rough winter for sure. I just like to think at least some moved out/others will find their way in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
Oh no doubt it killed a lot. Was a rough winter for sure. I just like to think at least some moved out/others will find their way in

Unfortunately it doesn’t really work that way.

It’s too bad that they can’t shut the whole thing down, I see why they don’t. I think @robby denning did a podcast with a biologist and they talked about the need to keep some tags so the tags don’t go away permanently. I didn’t look at the cow/doe tags, but if it’s more than 5 of each, it’s ridiculous.

OP
T

Treeratslayer

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately it doesn’t really work that way.

It’s too bad that they can’t shut the whole thing down, I see why they don’t. I think @robby denning did a podcast with a biologist and they talked about the need to keep some tags so the tags don’t go away permanently. I didn’t look at the cow/doe tags, but if it’s more than 5 of each, it’s ridiculous.

I didn’t look at doe tags closely either, but I do feel I remember it being pretty low if any. It all runs together after so many units though. Shutting it down would cost them fed funding. I worked in a state job for awhile. Lots of stuff like that is don’t use it, lose it.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I just looked, most units have 5 doe tags! Good on CPW, and boy oh boy, I sure as heck wouldn’t be buying a tag in a unit that has that few doe tags. There’s your sign!

Hunted it 2nd season a couple years ago and saw a grand total of zero deer in the high country after about a foot of snow prior to the opener.

OP
T

Treeratslayer

Lil-Rokslider
I just looked, most units have 5 doe tags! Good on CPW, and boy oh boy, I sure as heck wouldn’t be buying a tag in a unit that has that few doe tags. There’s your sign!

Gotta take what you can get as an out of stater. End of the day it’s an expensive camping trip at the least lol