Colorado elk hunt unit 42

Flybye

FNG
I am looking at archery elk hunting in unit 42 in colorado this fall. I have benn looking at the area around horse mountain. My hope is to get away from hunting pressure which is a challenge. From some of the research I have done it looks like a good early season area for elk. Just looking for some insight from those that have hunted the area.

There is no avoiding pressure in 42. Access can be tough coming in from the Rifle side. Coming in from the other side can be tough on your pick up too. Doesn't seem to stop dedicated hunters from getting in and out.

There is no avoiding pressure in 42. Access can be tough coming in from the Rifle side. Coming in from the other side can be tough on your pick up too. Doesn't seem to stop dedicated hunters from getting in and out.
Trophyhill, I appreciate the input about access. Not knowing the area it is helpful to know access points. I have have been wondering how tough it was to get into hunt that unit. Knowing that it is tough on the pickup is good advice. Thank you.

Njdoxie,
Sorry if I offended you and I am not looking for anyone’s honey hole. Insight on travel conditions, accessibility, any danger and etc is helpful to know when you have never been there before.

There are plenty of spots in 42 that with a little boot leather you can escape most of the pressure.

I have spent alot of time in 421/521, and although the terrain is similar to 42, the access seems much more difficult/spotty in 42. There's alot of private on the north side of 42 which appears to limit access to public ground, and coming in from the southern portion could get pretty rough. None the less I think I'm gonna try 42 for bear this year and see what happens. I imagine I will have to leave the pickup, take an atv down the rough roads, and then burn boot leather from there to get to where I want to hunt. Im not huge on atv use for hunting, but not beating the heck outta my pickup is appealing.

Good idea about taking an ATV to use on the roads to avoid beating up your truck. Nothing worse than not being able to get to a spot because the road got nasty.

Back