Colorado Archery Elk Pack List

banded_drake

Lil-Rokslider
Ok guys, I'm trying to finish up dialing in my pack list for my Colorado Archery elk hunt this fall. Looking for advice and pointers on if I could change things. The weight to me seems high but maybe it's not. This will be my first hunt so I appreciate all advice and criticism.

The plan is that my wife and I will hike in to hunt areas, set up a spike camp and hike out each day from there.

I haven't gathered all personal items yet so those weights are blank, but I don't anticipate it adding too much. I also havent added food weight, but being only a couple of miles from the truck at each hunt area, I plan on packing 3-4 days worth of food.

The total weight includes the pack itself, weapon and accessories, binoculars, water weight as well as what I will be wearing. I didn't add the weight for another filled water bag as I'm not 100% sure on our water situation in our hunt areas, but I may be adding a filled bag if necessary.

I've found a few places to maybe drop some weight including lighter game bags and carrying less rope.

We will be splitting some items between the 2 packs. Right now my wife and I each have a stove, so maybe cut down to just one stove? Anyway, if you see something missing please mention just in case it isn't something I've thought of and don't have it in the second pack

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I'd personally leave the Crocs, tent stove, and chair behind to save 3 lbs, but the rest of your list looks pretty essential to me. I'm usually packing in 60-65 lbs on my back (bow and half gallon of water included) for a week long archery hunt. Oftentimes when I see guys claiming super low pack weights, they're excluding water and weapon. There will always be ways to further lighten your pack by either sacrificing some comfort or spending more money on ultralight items, but your current gear weight looks reasonable to me.

OP
B

banded_drake

Lil-Rokslider
I'd personally leave the Crocs, tent stove, and chair behind to save 3 lbs, but the rest of your list looks pretty essential to me. I'm usually packing in 60-65 lbs on my back (bow and half gallon of water included) for a week long archery hunt. Oftentimes when I see guys claiming super low pack weights, they're excluding water and weapon. There will always be ways to further lighten your pack by either sacrificing some comfort or spending more money on ultralight items, but your current gear weight looks reasonable to me.
The stove I left as optional as I wanted to see what our second pack weight comes out to, and most likely it will be left behind. I just wanted to have it available in case we see some crazy weather in mid September. I have considered leaving the chair behind.

In August I'll be headed up for a 3 day scout trip, so I'm hoping on that trip I can determine things like the chair and crocs to be essential or not and drop them off the pack. I appreciate your feedback

wakechase

FNG
Yes, you will be fine without the stove and the chair. If you don’t plan on using glass (spotting scope) as your main source of locating elk I would also ditch the glassing pillow but that’s just me. Do you have a med kit in your Possibles Pouch

OP
B

banded_drake

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, you will be fine without the stove and the chair. If you don’t plan on using glass (spotting scope) as your main source of locating elk I would also ditch the glassing pillow but that’s just me. Do you have a med kit in your Possibles Pouch
I have a first aid kit that will be in the second pack. In my possibles pouch I have a few bandaids and simple things, very small amount. I have a tourniquet and a few meds in a small pouch on my pack

bradr3367

Lil-Rokslider
Here's what I would ditch:
-Extra knife. Get yourself a small, ultralight sharpener instead.
-Crocs. Brought em but never used em.
-Smart water bottle since you're using a bladder.
-Tent stove. Won't need it in Sept.
-Chair. Unnecessary
-Multi Tool. No need, and too much weight.
-Saw. No need
-Deoderant. Unnecessary
-Towel. Use a spare shirt.
-And yes, pack a first aid kit that includes a tourniquet, quik clot, packing guaze, band aides, Lueko tape.
This will all save you some pack space and drop some weight. You'll thank me when you reach 10,000 feet. We learned alot on our first trip as to what was needed and what truly wasn't.

Scoot

WKR
I totally agree that there's no need for the stove, saw, or towel and I personally wouldn't pack a chair. I wear crocs every night on a back country hunt and they are great for stream crossing. Necessary? Absolutely not but I pack the weight because they are super nice. Is deodorant necessary? No I suppose not but no way in hell I'm sleeping with myself inside a sleeping bag without it. I also bring a baby wash cloth and tiny container of camp soap and scrub up my face and pits every night with warm water. It's incredible how much better that makes me feel.

Deerman82

FNG
I agreed on the tent stove and last year we had a freak snow storm in CO wish I would have had it

cnelk

WKR
Since you’re headed up in August, carry your water in at that time. If you find that there is a water source, no harm no foul.
Water is effin heavy to pack

You may even want to stash some gear at that time too.

OP
B

banded_drake

Lil-Rokslider
Since you’re headed up in August, carry your water in at that time. If you find that there is a water source, no harm no foul.
Water is effin heavy to pack

You may even want to stash some gear at that time too.
This is what I'm hoping for, find a few good water sources and be able to drop that weight

Marble

WKR
Ok guys, I'm trying to finish up dialing in my pack list for my Colorado Archery elk hunt this fall. Looking for advice and pointers on if I could change things. The weight to me seems high but maybe it's not. This will be my first hunt so I appreciate all advice and criticism.

The plan is that my wife and I will hike in to hunt areas, set up a spike camp and hike out each day from there.

I haven't gathered all personal items yet so those weights are blank, but I don't anticipate it adding too much. I also havent added food weight, but being only a couple of miles from the truck at each hunt area, I plan on packing 3-4 days worth of food.

The total weight includes the pack itself, weapon and accessories, binoculars, water weight as well as what I will be wearing. I didn't add the weight for another filled water bag as I'm not 100% sure on our water situation in our hunt areas, but I may be adding a filled bag if necessary.

I've found a few places to maybe drop some weight including lighter game bags and carrying less rope.

We will be splitting some items between the 2 packs. Right now my wife and I each have a stove, so maybe cut down to just one stove? Anyway, if you see something missing please mention just in case it isn't something I've thought of and don't have it in the second pack

Something I've always found handy was having a small flashlight in my bino case. It's pretty handy to have. Also in my bino case I carry a Firestarter and lighter.

The headlamp stays in the pack with an extra flashlight.

After this year you'll get an idea of what you do and don't like. I can see you shedding some weight with some of your stuff as you figure out what works for you.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
B

banded_drake

Lil-Rokslider
Something I've always found handy was having a small flashlight in my bino case. It's pretty handy to have. Also in my bino case I carry a Firestarter and lighter.

The headlamp stays in the pack with an extra flashlight.

After this year you'll get an idea of what you do and don't like. I can see you shedding some weight with some of your stuff as you figure out what works for you.

I figured that was going to be my best lesson to really dial everything in, and hoping the scout trip in August helps with this.

I like the idea of the flashlight in my bino harness. I have a streamlight micro I could use and leave my spare headlamp behind

I will probably make a list the week of my hunt this year. Seems like my list has gotten pretty slim over the last few years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I figured that was going to be my best lesson to really dial everything in, and hoping the scout trip in August helps with this.

I like the idea of the flashlight in my bino harness. I have a streamlight micro I could use and leave my spare headlamp behind

The more you do it the more realize what's important and what isn't. Having a little bit of suck added into the mix provides some perspective.

You'll learn organization is important. And very simple solutions to minor inconvenience are usually best.

My wife and I each have our own tote at home that hold only our individual back packing gear. It makes for easy packing and unpacking.

md126

WKR
I’d bring at least two tourniquets and quick clot. Will absolutely save your life in the backcountry. Cheap and light weight too.

And definitely bring the crocs!!

OP
B

banded_drake

Lil-Rokslider
I’d bring at least two tourniquets and quick clot. Will absolutely save your life in the backcountry. Cheap and light weight too.

And definitely bring the crocs!!
We actually do have 2, one in my pack and one in my wife's pack in the first aid kit. Mine is in a pouch on my belt for quick access. Same with quick clot. As a firefighter and flight paramedic I know the value of these items well

Your pack mirrors mine as this is my first time with the bow, I’m super excited for the trip. Good to hear the feedback on gear must haves! Best wishes

Bighorner

WKR
There's no law against putting the stove and saw in the truck. Same for the chair. Alot if things like that are tail head decisions. Look at the five day forecast the night before. I have certainly got hit with heavy snow and or rain in September.

Crocs are essential. Honestly, I’ve learned if Im spike camping the extra weight is worth having some comforts. If I’m comfortable I’ll be more willing to stay longer and hunt harder.

Vandy321

WKR
Leave in truck: assess weather forecast at trailhead...if it's going to rain for days, bring the rain gear, if not, it's usually just quick t-storms...wait it out under a tree.

-Pack rain cover (store in tent at night if worried about it)
-Rain gear top/bottom
-Trekking Poles (in truck, but do you really need them to hike with a day pack? Grab them from truck on first trip out with meat
-stove
Spare knife (have the wife wear the 2nd knife)
-chair
-multi tool
-saw

Easily dropped 5lbs of gear.