Colorado Archery Cow hunt advice

Instead of doing a traditional OTC hunt as I have the last couple years, I am more concerned with getting some elk meat this year. I am looking for some advice on creative ways to go on a Cow elk hunt this year with decent opportunity. I have 1pp that I would be willing to burn if it helps with what I am after.

If any one can point me in the right direction as far an application strategy or if I should try to go down the land owner tag route etc. please let me know what my best options are.

OP
Lonestar_Slinger
Hunting archery cows i think is harder then hunting archery bulls.... i'd get your E/S OTC tag... and i'd go bull hunting... where the bulls are in september the cows are.... and vice versa.... except one of them is more likely to bugle their heads off and tell you where they are (yes i know cows can bugle too). Shoot whatever gives you the first clear shot. I had the same issue last year (2022) in that i had an empty freezer.... so a cow gave me a shot and i didnt hesitate... tastes darn good and no regrets ..... just hunted the same way i would hunt a bull elk.

edit to add: there are cow tags in NM often that are a decent price that you could hunt private land for a cow, wont cost nearly as much as the bull tags and i imagine its got a pretty good success rate but... never been on one myself.
I did take this into consideration for sure. I was just looking to see if there might be some tags specifically for cow elk that can put me in a unit with a higher density of elk then a OTC unit.

cnelk

WKR
I’m not sure I’d limit yourself to just a cow tag.

Too many times I’ve seen a bull when I had a cow tag and seen a cow when I had a bull tag.

May as well up the odds and get an ES tag.

OP
Lonestar_Slinger
I’m not sure I’d limit yourself to just a cow tag.

Too many times I’ve seen a bull when I had a cow tag and seen a cow when I had a bull tag.

May as well up the odds and get an ES tag.
I guess I didn't do a good job explaining.

Is there a cow tag to apply for that would give me a better opportunity then an OTC ES tag?

Gerbdog

WKR
I think what your looking for is probably a landowner cow tag... its likely your best bet at killing a cow... at least with the highest success rate anyway....

If you want elk meat for the freezer though? Go buy one, there are several elk farms around. If you want the hunt.... heck i'd get an E/S tag and go enjoy september with a bow... its what its all about. Spend the 1 point, dont spend the one point, probably wont make a difference vs. otc.

Gerbdog

WKR
I guess I didn't do a good job explaining.

Is there a cow tag to apply for that would give me a better opportunity then an OTC ES tag?
No... not really. Not in CO anyway. They offer B tag for cows in some units but doesnt mean its better odds of getting a cow... just means if you know the unit you can get a couple of animals in a year.

svivian

WKR
I agree with @cnelk at least bump to a ML cow tag or really ideally a rifle tag at that point. Look for later season when the elk move down towards wintering areas.

Consider a NR ML cow tag. If you do the research it may bump up your odds at putting a tasty elk on the ground. Also longer season. That's what I'm recommending to my NR buddy planning to hunt with me this year. Leave the bull tags though for us CO residents, Tex.