Colorado 2021 Elk Unit Decisions

I am ready to blow up 13 points next season as a resident but am not sure where to do it. I am tired of waiting and would like to start joining my buddies hunting 0-1 point units.

I am a rifle and archery hunter so I have some options. My short list at the moment includes a few RFW tags in Morgan Creek, Wolf Mountain, and Agner Mountain. Unit 61 for 1st rifle or archery also look like potentials.

My questions are:
1) Are there other places I should be looking at?
2) For those who have hunted bulls on the RFW, do the ranches just try to put you on an animal or do they actually help you find a "good" animal?
3) What else should I be thinking about?

Thanks!

I am ready to blow up 13 points next season as a resident but am not sure where to do it. I am tired of waiting and would like to start joining my buddies hunting 0-1 point units.

I am a rifle and archery hunter so I have some options. My short list at the moment includes a few RFW tags in Morgan Creek, Wolf Mountain, and Agner Mountain. Unit 61 for 1st rifle or archery also look like potentials.

My questions are:
1) Are there other places I should be looking at?
2) For those who have hunted bulls on the RFW, do the ranches just try to put you on an animal or do they actually help you find a "good" animal?
3) What else should I be thinking about?

Thanks!

Well I do not know what the best unit is for you in regards to drawing with 13 points. In my experience, the bulls are still doing some bugling in first rifle depending on where you are hunting and in a unit that takes that many points they might still be bugling. The last two elk I killed during first rifle season I called in.

RFW is an interesting way to hunt because the ranch can limit you to specific portions of the ranch and might not help you find the elk unless you use them as an outfitter. My elk hunting buddy works on a ranch that gets a lot of RFW tags and they limit the areas that you can hunt so there is not crossover between the paying hunting clients and the RFW tag holders. Each ranch is different.

CoHiCntry

WKR
Seems like anytime I here about a RFW tag/ hunt, it isn't good. 61 1st season would be really good. I haven't looked to see if you'd draw with your current points though.

Seems like anytime I here about a RFW tag/ hunt, it isn't good. 61 1st season would be really good. I haven't looked to see if you'd draw with your current points though.
I think it depends on the ranch but I would say that you will be better off doing a non rfw tag.

I had a coworker who burned a similar number of points on a RFW hunt this past year. He and his brother both had tags and never saw a legal bull on the property.

cnelk

WKR
IMO - the 1st Rifle 61 tag would be a really good choice. [You wont draw 61 archery w/ 13 PPs]
Or Unit 40 1st Rifle [guided]

Also - RFW isnt the best option for quality bulls, Its more geared for sub-par bulls success rate. The RFW ranches bring in paying customers first and before the public draw tag holders arrive.

Phaseolus

WKR
I’ve done a few RFW’s for cow elk. I would check out their rules carefully before dropping points on them. Most will not allow scouting in advance and that is a deal breaker for me.