Color Temperature and Blood Trailing

ndbuck09

WKR
Hi All, does anyone have any insights into color temperature of a headlamp and seeing blood? I'm updating to a new headlamp and looking at Zebralight, who has different color temps. I've used a blackdiamond revolt for 6 years, which is more of a cool temperature light but actual temperature is not identified.

I'm trying to decide between the 4000 and 5000k zebralight colors. I've seen the 4000k and it is more of a warm/soft white, warmer than my black diamond. I'm trying to figure out if that's better for seeing blood or worse.

intunegp

WKR
Lower temperature is going to be warmer which theoretically should bring out more red/orange than a colder, more blue light. I think 3500-4500k is considered the best range for color identification. High CRI is also going to be helpful, not sure where Zebralight falls there but I think they're usually pretty good.

Beendare

WKR
Lower temperature is going to be warmer which theoretically should bring out more red/orange than a colder, more blue light. I think 3500-4500k is considered the best range for color identification. High CRI is also going to be helpful, not sure where Zebralight falls there but I think they're usually pretty good.
Yep^ a high CRI LED is in the 3500-4000 Kelvin range.... makes blood drops pop bright red.

5,000k and up is harsh and makes blood look gray.

Last edited:

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
I've always wondered about this but never researched it any. Thanks for bringing it up!

I've always wondered about this but never researched it any. Thanks for bringing it up!

Same. Thanks to the OP and the quality info of those responding, definitely learned some good new info, and went down the CRI rabbit hole. Had never even heard the term before.