College Bowl games disappointment

fwafwow

WKR
It would really suck to have a career ending injury in a game that meant nothing but pride. I'm not really sure there is a fix for this problem .
Agreed. My suggestion would still leave it up to the player to decide. It seems that many are already deciding to skip if not in the playoffs, and they are more likely to play if they are in.

Why only opt out of the bowl games? If a player is going to be a top draft pick, why not stop playing halfway through the season? Also, if they get drafted, they are still at risk beyond their signing bonus, as I don’t believe the contracts are guaranteed (other than Watson’s deal in Cleveland).

The NIL is just the beginning. They will end up getting paid - and not just free tuition, room and board.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Agreed. My suggestion would still leave it up to the player to decide. It seems that many are already deciding to skip if not in the playoffs, and they are more likely to play if they are in.

Why only opt out of the bowl games? If a player is going to be a top draft pick, why not stop playing halfway through the season? Also, if they get drafted, they are still at risk beyond their signing bonus, as I don’t believe the contracts are guaranteed (other than Watson’s deal in Cleveland).

The NIL is just the beginning. They will end up getting paid - and not just free tuition, room and board.

not Directed at Fwafwow.

Lots of guys with opinions here that didnt play div 1 college sports.

If you think playing a sport is anything less then a 50 hour a week job minimun plus going to school full time you are delusional.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
A playoff system like every other sport and division in ncaa would solve everything, but there's not enough $$$ in it.

Fcs is way more entertaining in the post season

I believe salaried players and some form of collective bargaining will happen within 3-5 years. The teams may carry college names, but " college " football will be dead.

fwafwow

WKR
not Directed at Fwafwow.

Lots of guys with opinions here that didnt play div 1 college sports.

If you think playing a sport is anything less then a 50 hour a week job minimun plus going to school full time you are delusional.
I didn’t play but agree with you.

Absent some sort of antitrust exemption by Congress, they’re going to get paid and I expect it will be a market rate.

fwafwow

WKR
The bowl games will cease to exist in a few years. What sponsors are going to pay for games where so many don’t even attend? The NCAA has completely screwed up college football.
I don’t know if the NCAA screwed it up. We fans were just able to watch a system for years that prevented kids from switching teams without restrictions or getting any payment. I think the students just got tired of it and used the antitrust laws to remedy their treatment.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
They are going to a playoff system next year
Yes that a panel of "experts" pick. Conference champions should get an automatic bid and one wildcard per region. Like d1aa, d2, d3.

But it's just going to be the same popularity contest as it is now

RyanT26

WKR
Yes that a panel of "experts" pick. Conference champions should get an automatic bid and one wildcard per region. Like d1aa, d2, d3.

“The new 12-team College Football Playoff field will include the six highest-ranked conference champions, which will receive automatic bids. The top four teams will receive a first-round bye to the quarterfinals.

The six highest-ranked teams remaining will round out the 12-team format.”

This is what they’re doing. I’m not quite for sure what you’re complaining about. Conference champions are in. Liberty flames would’ve bumped Oklahoma out of playoffs this year because they were the sixth highest rated conference champ, while they are an exciting storyline they’re not doing very well against Oregon.
Top 12
1Michigan13-02
2Washington13-03
3Texas12-17
4Alabama12-18
5Florida State13-04
6Georgia12-11
7Ohio State11-16
8Oregon11-25
9Missouri10-29
10Penn State10-210
11Ole Miss10-211
12Oklahoma10-212

Last edited:

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor

We are fixing to see if its a beauty contest.
As a Longhorn fan I'm much more comfortable playing Washington instead of Georgia.

RyanT26

WKR
The 12 team playoff would’ve been incredible this year. Other than Florida State and liberty, they would’ve got absolutely housed by any of 10 other teams.

AKDoc

WKR
I agree with many views shared in this thread thus far...not all...and that's ok because we all get to have our own opinions.

Opinions aside for a moment, whether we like it or not, it appears a definite reality that college sports have changed over the years, and further changes are coming. I've been a fan of college sports since I was a student. Some of the changes have been hard for me to welcome, and I find some of my enthusiasm and game watching has waned a bit.

In my opinion, there are two aspects of college sports that have never changed, and BTW I strongly support: (1) To be a college athlete is an individual/personal choice to accept or reject an offer from a college/university...no one is court-ordered to be a college athlete nor accept a specific offer, and (2) A college athlete can quit the team at any time for any reason...before the season, during the season or after the season. Of course there are potential benefits and definite costs for the personal decisions we make.

Therefore (and back to the specific thread topic), if a college football athlete chooses to sacrifice team loyalty and quit the team before a meaningless bowl game that risks potential injury because he is pretty much guaranteed a super high salary in the pro's next season...I can see his logic...although not like it. Of course, a decision to quit the team before the end of the team's season should have consequences for the quitting athlete...notice I'm not using the term "opt-out".

Conversely, it would be much harder for me to swallow if a top college basketball athlete chose to quit the team for the exact same reasons on the eve of March Madness. Yet, I'd have to remind myself they are free to make that choice and live with their choice...whether I respect their decision or not. Hmmm...do you want to take any bets we will see that exact scenario occur in the not too distant future?

Yup...my enthusiasm for college sports has been waning a bit over the years, but I'm still a supporter. Sorry to be long-winded in my response.

The true issue is that the portal opens up right after the regular season. Don’t open the portal until January and players will stick around and play out the season to keep their stock up. And don’t allow recruiting of college players until January. Give teams that recruit off other teams prior to the national championships massive fines. Instead, these players all have new teams and deals lined up before bowls games and head out. Just making those two changes would fix most of it.

Being an FCS fan that literally has to watch our whole team be bought away after each season, I don’t love NIL or the portal. But it is what it is I guess. FCS has become the minors and small market P5 schools will see their studs leave for big $$$, leaving them schools in a cycle of mediocrity. It sure is unfortunate for all but about 10 schools.