Collars on clothing

naternate

FNG
Anyone else hate collars on all their hunting layers? I feel like I get a ton of bulk in my neck area from all the collars of my hunting layers. Baselayer, fleece, puffy/vest, and then outer layer all with collars. I like having 1/4 zip baselayer and fleece to allow venting if needed but from what I have found, no one makes crew neck 1/4 zips. Definitely not finding a puffy without a collar. In an ideal world my baselayer would be 1/4 zip with collar, fleece with 1/4 zip crewneck, a collarless puffy jacket or vest and then my outer layer with a hood/collar. I hate hoods on anything but rainwear too but that is a whole different story LOL. For reference I am mainly a treestand/ground set bowhunter for whitetail. I am at the point of wanting to mod a 1/4 zip fleece and puffy jacket to delete the collar. Just have to figure out how to shorten the zippers at the neck to keep them functional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H80Hunter

WKR
I can do like one collar under a jacket and that’s it. Everything under that needs to be a crew neck.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
All my base layers are normal crews so no problem there. My mid layers are microfleece mock T's that are more like crews. And my camo shirts are button up the front with full collars and chest pockets. That's about all I use for September. I absolutely cannot stand zippers on base layers. Those won't happen.

ERegs

FNG
Do you keep the zipper or not so much?

it depends. Sometimes I cut the zipper with or other times I just cut the fabric and leave zipper intact. Then just tuck the zipper out of the way

Anyone else hate collars on all their hunting layers? I feel like I get a ton of bulk in my neck area from all the collars of my hunting layers. Baselayer, fleece, puffy/vest, and then outer layer all with collars. I like having 1/4 zip baselayer and fleece to allow venting if needed but from what I have found, no one makes crew neck 1/4 zips. Definitely not finding a puffy without a collar. In an ideal world my baselayer would be 1/4 zip with collar, fleece with 1/4 zip crewneck, a collarless puffy jacket or vest and then my outer layer with a hood/collar. I hate hoods on anything but rainwear too but that is a whole different story LOL. For reference I am mainly a treestand/ground set bowhunter for whitetail. I am at the point of wanting to mod a 1/4 zip fleece and puffy jacket to delete the collar. Just have to figure out how to shorten the zippers at the neck to keep them functional.

So cut them off... Go to a tailor and get him to alter them if you want it done with more precision.

I agree with you. I want something with a collar on so my ruck straps don't rub my neck. As you said one baselayer, and one outlayer can do that. A headover / buff solves heat retention if you want it.

So cut them off... Go to a tailor and get him to alter them if you want it done with more precision.

I agree with you. I want something with a collar on so my ruck straps don't rub my neck. As you said one baselayer, and one outlayer can do that. A headover / buff solves heat retention if you want it.

Yep, that's another smart reason to keep collars on clothing - packframe shoulder straps and the neck strap for my binocular. My main reason to keep my collars is due to weather, but they do work well against abrasion, for sure.

dtrkyman

WKR
I never understood how a company can make 3 layers they suggest to wear with one another and they are all 1/4 zips, Really?

I have a skinny azz neck and can't pull it off, a heavy weight crew is much needed.

OP
N

naternate

FNG

Like you, I prefer a gaiter for my neck warmth retention. Lite merino or a thick Cabelas with Windshear depending on temp. Can’t pull collars up over the nose!

Like you, I prefer a gaiter for my neck warmth retention. Lite merino or a thick Cabelas with Windshear depending on temp. Can’t pull collars up over the nose!

So much easier for a quick, no hassle temperature control option.
I use merino blend buffs and thicker army surplus wool blends.
They work well, are fairly cheap, to outright cheap, last a long time and come in earth tones.

I'll also use non wool options in hotter weather to hide my big shiny forehead for when my ten head pops out from behind a tree in a forest!