Cold Weather Upland Boot

WoodDuck

Lil-Rokslider
Took a trip to North Dakota for pheasants last year during late season, and uninsulated hiking boots weren’t warm enough for the conditions we saw (~5F in the mornings with 20-30mph winds). I’d like to get a better late season boot for the wife and I, and they may also get used for December grouse hunting in Wisconsin as well as ice fishing.

What does everyone else like for a late season boot? I don’t like Muck style boots when putting on miles (though I do use them A LOT for tree stand hunting and ice fishing), and am considering a mountain style pac boot like the Schnees Hunter. Open to any and all suggestions.

Blue Skunk

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Irish Setter Wingshooter Waterproof and Insulated Boots. I use them for later season pheasant hunts and perform well for me. I use a lighter weight sock for warmer weather and thick sock for cold days.

Kenetrek Mountain Guide 400s with their Canada OTC socks... and some gaiters.

Between the boot insulation and thinner wool socks there is just enough warm air inside to keep my feet warm, but not sweaty. I use them for everything but the summer months. Years of bird hunting using that combo.

I would only use my Schnees Pacboots if I was dealing with lots of snow and perhaps sitting for long periods of time. For Ice fishing they would be great, but in my opinion walking fields all day bird hunting would end up soaking them. They are very warm with those wool inserts.

yfarm

WKR
The Schnees Beartooth is available in a 400 version, is more flexible than the Kennetrek Mtn guide. Another to consider if you sitting on ice or a tree stand in cold weather is the Crispi Wild Rock plus with Gore Duratherm 800. I don’t care for stiff midsole boots for flat land hunting as there is no ground feel and no need to carry the extra weight around. Sidehilling in steep terrain is a completely different situation. My son has Beartooth 200s and wears upland hunting and is happy with but his feet get cold stand hunting when its around freezing. Ice fishing and stand hunting Hoffman pacs with a separate pair for upland hunting with 400-600 insulation. As an aside, Hoffman offers 200 and 400 gm liners for their pacs, say not to use in felt liner models, have both and are interchangeable in my boots. I bird hunted in the upper midwest for most of my life every weekend and hunted late Dec and Jan, walking my feet stayed comfortable wearing 600 gm Rockys at 10 below with wind in snow, uninsulated was in the truck after an hour or two.

Last edited:

Hans13

FNG
I bought a pair of Schnee’s Beartooth 200g last fall and used them for late season bird hunting. Before that I was using my Crispi Birksdals and Wild Rock 400s. I personally wouldn’t go over 400g as I start sweating with my 400s. A good pair of socks and gaiters are also a must.

Would not use my pac boots or muck boots for upland hunting. Those are for coyote stands after upland season ends.

OP
W

WoodDuck

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate the input everyone. Sounds like 400g insulated hikers would fit the bill. Now to find a sale on some…