Coffee Blocks Review Part II

Jimbob

WKR
As I write this review I am thinking about the wonderfully delicious mug of butter coffee that I brought to work with me today. Unfortunately that coffee was a home brew mix and not a single serve butter coffee packet called Coffee Blocks. Butter coffee is a wonderful drink made popular by the brand Bullet Proof coffee (google to bring yourself up to speed). For my own butter coffee recipe I start with fresh ground coffee prepared in a french press than add healthy amounts of butter (~ 1 table spoon) and coconut oil (~ 1 tea spoon) and mix it in a blender. A wonderfully smooth and rich drink that is delicious and a great energy boost.

Coffee Blocks are a single serve instant butter coffee packet. They have all organic ingredients and claim the same great butter coffee taste with simple, fast, and convenient preparation. They appear to be the perfect backcountry rev me up and get me going in the early morning drink. Needless to say I was excited when Justinespicher had an unfavourable review (http://www.rokslide.com/forums/general-discussion-forum/57274-coffee-blocks-review.html) of these and sent the remaining packets of his box over to me to try out.

Test 1: Early morning wake up and out the door quick

I have young kids and a small house so getting up early and staying quiet as I head out the door is IMPORTANT to my wife. I don't want to wake the kids then say "see you later Honey". The coffee blocks are perfect for this scenario. Boil some water, squeeze the goopy black stuff from the coffee blocks packet into a protein shaker, add 8 ozs of the hot water and 4 ozs of room temp water and head out the door.

This worked perfect as I headed to an early morning prayer meeting last friday. The first sip as I was driving tasted great. The light foam that rose to the surface from all the shaking was rich and tasty. The second sip was a little different, a weird taste but heck I wanted to like this so no problem. Then the third and fourth sips confirmed it, this stuff is GROSS. Seriously I cannot even describe the flavour, it was just bad. It was a cold morning so I choked the rest of the mug down and figured the bad taste was maybe cause I was use to something better in these circumstances.

Test 2: Outdoor adventure (everything tastes better in the bush right?)

Headed out for an afternoon of sliding with the family. Snow was deep and I had to work to break trail and make a path for kids to slide. Even brought a shovel to make a jump. After that and ferrying my youngest up and down the hill a nice cup of butter coffee seemed perfect. I had no shaker so I was left to my small pot and lid to try and get the coffee mixed well. Mixing butter coffee is very important, hence the blender with at home prep. Anyways I was hoping my desire would overcome my taste buds and I could enjoy it out here. Again I was wrong it tasted worse. I couldn't even finish it this time. My wife tried some as well and almost spit it out. Honestly, I don't know what hell I would have just had to go through to make this stuff taste good and be satisfying. I wouldn't take it for free if you offered it.

Coffee blocks have excellent ingredients and they are a great idea but they are expensive and taste like crap. So I have 3 or 4 packs left and I would gladly ship them to the next sucker that thinks they might like this stuff.

Last edited:

Grumman

WKR
30% of the Amazon reviews are 1 star reviews. A lot of reviewers had the same bad taste comments. I was interested in trying at one point but will take your and Justin's word for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

texag10

WKR
I would like to thank everyone who has tasted these for sharing their experience in such rich detail!

OP
Jimbob

Jimbob

WKR
The extra packets have been spoken for. It kind of feels like sending a gag gift or pulling a prank by giving these to someone who is going to drink them.

mmw194287

WKR
I've enjoyed these reviews so much it makes me want to try them myself. If there's an extra up for grabs, I'd gladly share my thoughts as well!

OP
Jimbob

Jimbob

WKR
I've enjoyed these reviews so much it makes me want to try them myself. If there's an extra up for grabs, I'd gladly share my thoughts as well!

Ok since I am getting a kick out of thinking of more people trying these things I will split them up so the pain and torture gets spread around. LOL. Just PM me your address.

hobbes

WKR
That is Funny. Good thing I wasn't drinking my favorite Americano from the local coffee shack or I'd know what it feels like coming out of my nose.

My wife has tried to get me to add coconut oil to coffee, but I'm somewhat concerned about the intestinal effects of pouring coconut oil into my gut in the early morning. Using it in the backcountry worries me even more. :)

Ray

WKR
I bought a box when they first came out. Tried one pack. Drink it fast or else...I find the coffee flavor to be too burnt, which is common with poorly produced instant coffee.

Keeping it for emergency rations for when everything else is gone and there are no more spruce needles left on the trees out back.

There are now several producers of coconut oil in packets. Artisana typically can be found on a health food store shelf. I take them for adding into my instant coffee in the morning when not car camping and making real coffee. Its not the same as the Bullet Proof MCT oil with butter.

I tried the butter/coconut oil coffee thing. As with most other things, seems like a fad. My brother is a natural foods rep so gave me some of these to try. I didn't mind the taste but I saw them in a health food store for like $3 for one. I'll stick with regular ground coffee in my french press or Via if I'm going more lightweight.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Glad these coffee blocks keep making the rounds. These make very enjoyable threads. Coffee blocks have made the never ever try even once list for me. Thanks

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Glad these coffee blocks keep making the rounds. These make very enjoyable threads. Coffee blocks have made the never ever try even once list for me. Thanks

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Kind of the opposite for me, I want to try some just to see how bad they are. I must be a masochist.