Coastal Brown Bear

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
Going on a Brown Bear hunt. It is a 16 day hunt, and will try to take a bear with a bow. I have always primarily bowhunted and have been on one other brown bear hunt which was successful in terms of adventure and fun. In terms of punching a tag, that didn’t happen.

This time I am also taking a 338 RUM. Bullets are rare these days. I secured enough Barnes 225 gr TTSX bullets, but will try to find and use the 250 gr or the 280 gr LRX. Any thoughts on bullet weight for Brown Bear for those who have been there done that or are knowledgable. Thanks for your time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wyosteve

WKR
My thought is bigger is always better! I used 250 gr. .338 on my grizzly and they worked just fine. Coincidentally, I'm also doing a brown bear hunt in the spring. I'm taking my .375 H&H w/ 300 gr. Noslers, mainly because I've only been using it on feral pigs to this point!!

Scottf270

WKR
With a quality bullet, your options are many. Any normal weight Barnes bullet will do. I love the 210 TSX in my .338 win mag. I would stick with your 225 grain as I don't like the extremely long bullets taking up powder room. You don't need sleek bullets as a good outfitters not going to let you shoot long distance on a bear anyway
In my .375 Ruger on Kodiak, I used the 270 TSX.

AKBorn

WKR
I am booked in Sept 2024, trying to find 250 grain Swift A Frame or Nosler Partition ammo for my 338 WinMag. Ammo is pretty scarce at the moment, at least for the 338 Winny.

I am booked in Sept 2024, trying to find 250 grain Swift A Frame or Nosler Partition ammo for my 338 WinMag. Ammo is pretty scarce at the moment, at least for the 338 Winny.
Why not sierra game kings? Same exact thing as nosler partitions, and for my 338 it shoots them more consistently than noslers.

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
In case anyone is wondering or finds this thread with a future search, I am going with either the 265 grain LRX or the 280 grain LRX. I have both, and will see which my gun likes the best.

Personally, I use 200 grain Nosler Partitions in .30-06 caliber, or 300 grain Partitions in .375 H&H caliber. However, the majority of my clients use 250 Accubonds in their .338 Win Mags. I'm a big fan of heavy-for-caliber bullets, though.

AKDoc

WKR
I've cleanly taken several with 270 TSX handloads out of my 375H&H. My son took his with a 210 TSX handload out of his 338-06 (one shot kill). The velocities we were both getting were well matched with the TSX's...always entering, expanding, and exiting the far side.

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
I am sure there are a number of calibers, bullets and weights that work well. I would consider myself to be close to an “expert” when it comes to equipment for bowhunting because 97 percent of my hunts over the last 40 years have been with a compound bow. As for a rifle, I generally shoot them well. I just prefer bows. So I appreciate all the advise given. My guide is really partial to the Barns LRX so I went in that direction.

AKDoc

WKR
I am sure there are a number of calibers, bullets and weights that work well. I would consider myself to be close to an “expert” when it comes to equipment for bowhunting because 97 percent of my hunts over the last 40 years have been with a compound bow. As for a rifle, I generally shoot them well. I just prefer bows. So I appreciate all the advise given. My guide is really partial to the Barns LRX so I went in that direction.

Well said…and smart man listening to your guide. The best to you on your adventure!

163bc

FNG
the one in my photo dropped to a 270 grain tsx from a 375. Mature brown bears are big and tough.

EdP

WKR
Why not sierra game kings? Same exact thing as nosler partitions, and for my 338 it shoots them more consistently than noslers.

The GK is a great bullet but of different construction from a Nosler Partition because there is no "partition." Swift A Frames have a partition and perhaps a Hornady product, but GKs do not. Sierra's description can be seen here: https://www.sierrabullets.com/product/338-caliber-250-gr-sbt/. Sierra addresses the need for controlled expansion in a different way than Nosler and may be just as effective on big bears, but they are obviously not the "same exact thing." GKs in my experience shoot considerably better than Partitions. My intent is not to disparage GKs in any way, they are my favorite bullet, I just want to correct the statement made.

wyosteve

WKR
Fwiw, I just got back from a brown bear hunt. I used Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Bear Claw in .375 H&H and my friend used a 260 gr. Nosler Partition handload in .375 H&H. Both one shot kills, 110 yards. Mine was a complete pass through. His broke the shoulder going in, passed through and the bullet base was found against the hide on the opposite side.