CO unit 76

Chad44

Lil-Rokslider
I've got 8 points, I'm a resident. I'm thinking about drawing 76 1st rifle in 2014. I figure since it's a relatively high point unit I'm not taking anyone's yearly honey hole. I'm trying to get a 330+ bull and I've been looking at Google and CDOW maps but it's such a massive unit it's hard to narrow it down. I know they had a fire in there so the burns next year should be good spots to look. Can anyone give me anymore info on this area? Maybe a spot to start looking or a place to avoid? I'd appreciate it a lot. I plan on getting boots on the ground in the spring as snow melts. I'm in castle rock so I'm around 5+ hours from it. Not ideal but...
Thanks
Chad

From my homework on that unit, I think a 300" bull may be a more reasonable expectation from that early rifle hunt. I have a mess of non-resident points and looked into that hunt a few years back.

Last edited:
OP
C

Chad44

Lil-Rokslider
The way I see it is that there are good bulls in a lot of OTC units that I've seen. You have to work for them but they are definitely there. I'm thinking that it a 300 isn't uncommon then in some shit holes there will be a toad or 2. ;)

dotman

WKR
I'm sure there are a few 330+ bulls in there but they are not common. I personally would give that unit another year because of the burn.

Baby Huey

FNG
Chad, I can PM you some information on that unit. I helped my dad on a muzzle hunt in there a couple years ago. I'll have to get my maps and info together, so give me a couple of days.

Roman

OP
C

Chad44

Lil-Rokslider
Chad, I can PM you some information on that unit. I helped my dad on a muzzle hunt in there a couple years ago. I'll have to get my maps and info together, so give me a couple of days.

Roman
I would really appreciate that a lot. As far as the burn goes I am thinking that it would be the spot to be come fall. I've had a lot of luck hunting them in the past. Not sure about one this recent though. May be too soon.

chindits

WKR
I wouldn't worry about the burns. I saw green growth starting to pop up in the burns by the Rio Res this Sep. It's not like any of the elk left the unit because of it. It should be interesting to see how the area handles run off this spring though. Then again it will be interesting to see how the critters adapt to the beetle kill and what that place will look like in the next 10-15 years.

Utah Transplant (after ~20 years in Colorado)
I've hunted dozens of days, either with a bow in my hand, or calling for buddies in GMU 76, but it was all during multiple archery seasons. Out of hundreds of elk that I've seen within unit, I could probably only count 3 that would have come close to, or would have eclipsed the 330" mark. I'm also in Douglas County, should you ever want to chat..... Good luck!!

Craig4791

WKR
I've hunted dozens of days, either with a bow in my hand, or calling for buddies in GMU 76, but it was all during multiple archery seasons. Out of hundreds of elk that I've seen within unit, I could probably only count 3 that would have come close to, or would have eclipsed the 330" mark. I'm also in Douglas County, should you ever want to chat..... Good luck!!

Geez!! That's a bummer. Makes me wonder why I'm even building elk points in CO lol cause I'm surely not waiting 16+ years for a 61 tag.... Maybe I'll just burn them sooner than later.

OP
C

Chad44

Lil-Rokslider
Geez!! That's a bummer. Makes me wonder why I'm even building elk points in CO lol cause I'm surely not waiting 16+ years for a 61 tag.... Maybe I'll just burn them sooner than later.

My thoughts exactly! This unit is so huge and has so much rough terrain that I can't imagine there not being a few toads lurking around. Finding the time this summer to find one is my challenge. I'm hoping to get up there at least 2-3 times. I say 330 and all but I'm not disciplined enough to let anything close to 300 walk unless my scouting tells me something different.
Fencesitter, I'd def like to chat with you. Thanks for the info