CO OTC- going away?

cclj03

FNG
I haven't listened to the podcast yet. I saw it but didn't feel like being pissed off at the CPW today...

I emailed them a couple of weeks ago regarding my opinions of their proposals.

I'm sure the tags going to limited will still be abundant, but I am categorically opposed to losing OTC archery for residents.

This is how I feel. Lets get rid of non-resident OTC and go from there. Just pulling the rug out from under all of us resident OTC guys seems ridiculous. OTC hunting isn't intended to be the highest quality... it's supposed to be the highest opportunity. You buy an OTC tag knowing that.

chanson_roland

Lil-Rokslider
This is how I feel. Lets get rid of non-resident OTC and go from there. Just pulling the rug out from under all of us resident OTC guys seems ridiculous. OTC hunting isn't intended to be the highest quality... it's supposed to be the highest opportunity. You buy an OTC tag knowing that.
This might sound weird, but coming from the East, I support this. I find it hard to imagine wanting to go all the way West and not have enough planning done in advance to at least draw a 0-1 pt unit somewhere in CO. My gut feel is that the elimination of OTC for nonres will create enough drop in crowding, plus the commensurate drop in revenues, that w/in two years CO businesses will be pressuring CPW to increase nonres tags anyway. So, I'm with you: eliminate nonres OTC and let the chips fall where they may.

The only downside I see is that because of OTC, CO every year imports a "reserve army" that supports hunting, and demonstrates the positive economic impact of hunting. Given the trend in CO politics as seen with the mountain lion legislation, losing that visible pro-hunting component, who directly contribute to CO's economy + probably contribute to CO hunting organizations, is a risk. If CO politicians stop seeing the net inflow of $'s to the state, they might be more easily swayed by resident anti-hunters.

Just wait until you're sitting behind a Subaru with CO plates on I-70 that has the bumper sticker:

"Cow Elk are Mommies Too!"

You’re way too late. The sw portion of the state already is quota based draw archery. OTC gone. It’s seen as ridiculous, but then again, is it?
Quotas are set so high, it’s basically OTC, but those quotas can lower anytime.

Is the real issue point creep?
55-75% of limited archery tags in The SW go to NR because Residents DONT want them as a first choice. Burn points for any list A tags and see how this changes the game. Because it acts as its own “cap” when anyone has to make a real decision and burn their points.
Besides, our current commission does not give a s£!t. They, for the most part, do not listen to the CPW wildlife staff, are coerced by social ignorance, and vote for more revenue.
Luckily Skiba was not confirmed to the commission last week. But one giant POS made it through. Even after so much opposition and outreach by citizens to senators to vote and unconfirm said new commissioner.
In other words, this goes much deeper than otc tags on a revenue level.

Last edited:

Okhotnik

WKR
especially a dbag grifter ike randy and the grifter org bha

the entire non res western mule deer /elk fantasy grifter racket has been played out. I saw this years ago

randy and bha and others got their Money monetizing western hunts on public lands . The gigs up for the middle class hunter

Available tags vs actual animals and add in run away Biden inflation, artificial wolf re introduction, endless wars and sending tens of billions overseas we dont have, endlessly monetizing the debt and a weakening economy. wake up

OP
Idaboy

Idaboy

WKR
randy and bha and others got their Money monetizing western hunts on public lands . The gigs up for the middle class hunter

Available tags vs actual animals and add in run away Biden inflation, artificial wolf re introduction, endless wars and sending tens of billions overseas we dont have, endlessly monetizing the debt and a weakening economy. wake up
Do you then think Rokslide also contributes to the problem?

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I’m fairly new to hunting so I have to ask, what did Newburg do to rile everyone up?
It’s not just Newburg, it’s all these guys constantly pushing “content” so they can make a living off hunting.

Just remember that content isn’t free. Your the product that’s being sold - so use code “Randy” to save 20%.

HOT ROD

WKR
If I was a resident this is what I could get behind all elk tags and seasons go lq for NR... OTC tags would be residents only.... All antlered tags drawn would use points no matter when the tag was drawn....

Amazing. I can click directly from the "we need to run off NRs" thread to the threads where Colorado residents and residents from other western states are begging for my help in the form of money and support to fight antihunters on commissions and mountain lion hunting bans.
Yep. It’s why I no longer donate to howl on western hunting issues. No resident hunter wants the non resident. We take all the spots and basically ruin the hunting.

Until progressive ideology truly threatens the resident hunting, the nonresident is looked at like a disease. Then it’s “ Donate and write our representatives. If hunting out west means anything to you, please take the time…”.

Yep. It’s why I no longer donate to howl on western hunting issues. No resident hunter wants the non resident. We take all the spots and basically ruin the hunting.

Until progressive ideology truly threatens the resident hunting, the nonresident is looked at like a disease. Then it’s “ Donate and write our representatives. If hunting out west means anything to you, please take the time…”.

I'm a non-resident in 49 states, as we all are. I don't mind seeing non-residents around and I hope others don't look sideways at me when I'm in their backyard. When I run into other guys, I usually ask where they're from, how they ended up in that area, and bid them good luck. I don't actually care whether they're from my state or any other though.

At some point, when a fair majority of the license plates you see are from "other" states, there needs to be limits.

The states are to blame, not the residents of them. For years, the states chased the money and encouraged the influencer types. Now, things have gotten out of hand. They still need/want the money but have to do or pretend to do something to curb the crowding.

I think your spite is misplaced.

fatlander

WKR

This is how the antis will get us.

We (hunters as a whole) are selfish and they (anti’s) are not. We loathe anyone in “our” spots, shooting “our” game, ruining “our” experience. Anti’s love nonresident antis. The more the merrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I was a resident this is what I could get behind all elk tags and seasons go lq for NR... OTC tags would be residents only.... All antlered tags drawn would use points no matter when the tag was drawn....
if I was a resident all tags would be draw and all left over tags would offered at NR prices regardless of resident status

This is how the antis will get us.

We (hunters as a whole) are selfish and they (anti’s) are not. We loathe anyone in “our” spots, shooting “our” game, ruining “our” experience. Anti’s love nonresident antis. The more the merrier.

What’s going kill hunting is resident hunters wanting only a movie ticket fee to hunt big game. Not the guy that’s fed up from listening to the bs about all the problems the nonresidents cause. While paying 10x the resident share to hunt.

Last edited:
I'm a non-resident in 49 states, as we all are. I don't mind seeing non-residents around and I hope others don't look sideways at me when I'm in their backyard. When I run into other guys, I usually ask where they're from, how they ended up in that area, and bid them good luck. I don't actually care whether they're from my state or any other though.

At some point, when a fair majority of the license plates you see are from "other" states, there needs to be limits.

The states are to blame, not the residents of them. For years, the states chased the money and encouraged the influencer types. Now, things have gotten out of hand. They still need/want the money but have to do or pretend to do something to curb the crowding.

I think your spite is misplaced.
Sure you do. But, you’d be wrong. Because It’s not spite. It’s reality. You either are new to these discussions or are living in fairyland if you haven’t witnessed the mass moaning by resident western hunters of their fees increase.

They conplain about nr participation. Then complain if their fees increase because nr participation is limited. Yet, never miss a chance to ask for nr money when the anti’s attack.

Reality is ugly sometimes. But, the only fix to CO’s problem is limiting nr participation. Which means the resident gets to make the difference in revenue those changes will leave.

Until then we get 15 of the threads a year. Until mountain lion hunting or such goes on the ballot initiative.

I realize my outlook is simplistic. But, it’s the issue and the only flippin’ reason CO hunters are stuck where they are at with nr numbers

cclj03

FNG
Sure you do. But, you’d be wrong. Because It’s not spite. It’s reality. You either are new to these discussions or are living in fairyland if you haven’t witnessed the mass moaning by resident western hunters of their fees increase.

They conplain about nr participation. Then complain if their fees increase because nr participation is limited. Yet, never miss a chance to ask for nr money when the anti’s attack.

Reality is ugly sometimes. But, the only fix to CO’s problem is limiting nr participation. Which means the resident gets to make the difference in revenue those changes will leave.

Until then we get 15 of the threads a year. Until mountain lion hunting or such goes on the ballot initiative.

I realize my outlook is simplistic. But, it’s the issue and the only flippin’ reason CO hunters are stuck where they are at with nr numbers

I, and I think the vast majority of resident OTC guys I know, would happily pay 10x the current cost of an OTC tag to limit the number of nonresidents and keep the tags OTC for us.

fatlander

WKR
I, and I think the vast majority of resident OTC guys I know, would happily pay 10x the current cost of an OTC tag to limit the number of nonresidents and keep the tags OTC for us.

Then lobby for an increase and get the ballot box biology bullshit out of your state.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Talk is cheap. There's no doubt that if residents were willing to pay non-resident prices that the state would accept that and allow what ever terms were necessary to collect.

Simple fact is there's not the support to raise prices even minimally across the spectrum of resident sportsmen let alone a 10x increase. Sure you might consider it but would you really consider pushing your neighbors out by the pricing tags above what they value the experience?

Colorado's real problems begin inside the state boundaries. Pointing to a non-resident problem is simply wishing the complex problems facing Colorado could be fixed with a few less tags. You be way better served to focus on population shifts and political policy that restrict residents than lashing out at those that share your common interests.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk