CO National Forests and Accessing Via Roads/Trails

taskswap

WKR
USFS also has an "interactive travel map". The above tools are great but I do use this a lot because it's multi-state and has gate closure dates. Those aren't the rancher dates, it's when the USFS itself will lock a gate. https://www.fs.usda.gov/ivm/ I like that it also tells you trail data, and specifically trails that are open/closed to ATVs and bikes (if I either want to use my bike, or avoid people on ATVs).

1720716196577.png

Having owned every option under the sun and done plenty of self-recoveries and helping others, IMO, for hunting USFS/BLM roads, my personal opinion is:

chains > airing down > better tires > winch > high-lift (unless you're "jeepin")

I carry a set of chains, a small shovel and a bow saw at all times, plus a 50' "kinetic" recovery rope and 2 soft-shackles. None are perfect but e.g. the bow saw is way slower than a chain saw but I've only had to use it twice in the past decade to clear blowdowns to get out of an area and it's small and needs no maintenance, so I always have it with me. The gear you have is > the gear you left at home.

This is a GREAT shovel and I can't say enough good things about it for emergency-prep:

In winter I carry this as well:

Practice setting up your tire chains before you leave! I'm serious! It's a fussy process that can take an hour if you've never done it but 5 minutes once you know how. The standard installation method is almost never useful. Usually you lay out the chains in front of your tires and drive onto them, then wrap them around and connect them. It sucks if that's the only method you know and you're stuck in mud somewhere. Every chain set I've owned CAN be installed without doing that but it takes practice and with cold, muddy fingers can be very frustrating. (Usually there's a sweet spot where if you drape them over the top of a tire just right, you can just about connect the bottom, then back up a foot or two and tighten them the rest of the way.)

Jaquomo

WKR
So what’s the best way to know if you’re on/off private land? This will be my first year chasing elk, I listened to a podcast the other day where Corey Jacobsen said skirting the border of private land (400-500 yards off) can be a good way to find elk during the early archery season, so I was considering playing that game. But if you can’t trust onx, what would you trust?
USFS and BLM boundaries are usually pretty close on the mapping apps. The problem with that is shooting one that runs onto the private may not be recoverable. Corey is right. I do it too. Last bull I shot was facing away from the private, and he ran in that direction. But it's risky.

Jaquomo

WKR
By this you mean coming back down out of the mountains the trucks are sliding around on and off the road due to the mud?
Once my 14 year old daughter and I were sliding sideways down a long hill from camp, not fast, but out of control toward a bad ending. I looked over and she was prepping to jump out. Talked her out of it and I got control at the bottom. Point is, it can get real bad real fast in elk country.

OP
H
Once my 14 year old daughter and I were sliding sideways down a long hill from camp, not fast, but out of control toward a bad ending. I looked over and she was prepping to jump out. Talked her out of it and I got control at the bottom. Point is, it can get real bad real fast in elk country.
Thanks for the info I’ll keep that in mind