CO Goat Draw Odds

Wow, has anyone had a look at how bad the odds have become? It used to be those Durango units were in the +/- 10% draw range. This screen snap really shows it. One person with max points drew last year, one! The 3+1 guys drew alot of tags due to the number of applicants. Sadly, have a look at the next wave of guys coming in with 1 and 2 points. Depressing to say the least!

1672878502629.png

WKR
I always enjoy hearing people say they are just going for a point cause they don't have time to hunt. It seems an odd mentality when draw odds are 1% or less lol. The bull moose and desert ram tags I think are a bit worse than this.

Northpark

WKR
Ya I’m sitting at 3+9 right now. Basically figure I’ll never actually draw and I started to save for an Alaska hunt but I don’t know if I’ll actually spend that money when the time comes.

ckleeves

WKR
Not having to front the money had just a slight impact on odds! What’s really crazy (my math could be off) but if you average the cost of a point at 75.00 (res/non res split) CPW raked in over 2 million selling points to a bunch of people who realistically will never draw. That’s assuming most people bought a point.

Ratbeetle

WKR
I was at 3+3 when I moved out of CO. Doubt I'll even bother applying now that I'm a NR.

I like to think of it like it's heartening that there's a bunch of huge points holders still not drawing but you see a couple of low point holders hitting it. Maybe those high point holders are just snakebit on the draw.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Because of the timing of the archery hunts in September, I've just been collecting points because elk season has always been more important to me. But my elk points are at zero now and I think I'm actually going to apply this year........odds be damned. If I draw, I draw. If I don't, no big deal......I'll be elk hunting.

OP
C
I hear you on planning other hunts, no way you can plan on a goat tag that for sure. I've hunted those late season goats, as long as you pick a front range unit, you can get to them no matter how deep the snow is (if you want it) unlike some of the western units. At least you can then put in, and hunt elk every September without the clash.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
There's no way I'm hunting goats after September. "Possibly" the first week of Oct, but that would be the latest. I like my 70+ degree days in the high country too much.

OP
C
There's no way I'm hunting goats after September. "Possibly" the first week of Oct, but that would be the latest. I like my 70+ degree days in the high country too much.
Ha i hear you. I liked my September hunts much better than the late October. walking backwards into the wind so you can breath is something you have to experience at least once though.

Jimss

WKR
There are actually fewer goats than there were a few years back plus a lot more new guys applying every year so odds likely will decrease every year.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
walking backwards into the wind so you can breath is something you have to experience at least once though.
Ya, it's all those late season experiences that helped "encourage" me to start bowhunting. There were times when I even wore ski goggles over my balaclava so no skin whatsoever was exposed, and then I could actually see during blizzards.......at least a few feet anyway. All that, along with waking up with a sheet of ice covering my sleeping bag every morning, and September is like hunting on a tropical island comparatively. Oh ya!

At least I got my sheep and moose, which were my priorities beyond elk. So if I get goat eventually that's just a big bonus. No expectations.

Jimss

WKR
You can always head to Alaska for a winter hunt if you really want to experience the elements! The hair ought to be gorgeous that time of year. The thing about early season goats is the hair is actually not that appealing and prime.

OP
C
Jims,

No doubt, but I'm in the 5miles back type category, I want to take a nap on the side of the mountain after a long climb in the sun, enjoying the day while watching that billy get in a place to get to him. I've arrowed two, and am sitting on max points, if I shoot another it will be a euro so I don't really care how furred out he is. I do find mid to late Sept goats are pretty furred up, so they're not "ugly" per say but as stated, at this point, it doesn't really matter, they're all spike horns.

squirrel

WKR
But if you throw enough darts... Ive drawn 6 over the years, the Princess @3. There will be one less applying to screw you guys up this year as she had one and only would go out for one lousy day last year. Its just a shame to waste a tag on someone who doesn't value it in the least. She is done and there will be nobody happier than her to learn this news! Goats are magnificent.