CO Draw Results - Nervously Awaiting

TomJoad

WKR
The suspense is KILLING ME! I did draw my first choice ML deer tag earlier but the elk tag... card charged, so I’ve got something, but what is it going to be??? CPW still showing nothing even though card was hit hours ago. 🤷‍♂️🕰

Wheels

WKR
I got the dreaded email from Colorado yesterday afternoon confirming my unsuccessful attempt at securing a deer tag.

12 points was unsuccessful for me for a rifle tag. Next year....
Wow! Must be a sweet unit!

For whatever reason ( can't really explain it ) I am not that interested in big antlers. Sure, I'll shoot the bigger of the two bucks if they are standing side by side, but I'm also perfectly fine with a well-earned forky after a good week of hunting. For that reason, I doubt I'll ever apply for those units that require lots of points to draw.

I suppose the appeal, if you're not a trophy hunter, is fewer hunters? Is that the case? If the unit is an OTC elk unit, I don't see how there would be fewer hunters in the woods even if the MD tags are hard to get.

cal30_sniper

Lil-Rokslider
Wow! Must be a sweet unit!

For whatever reason ( can't really explain it ) I am not that interested in big antlers. Sure, I'll shoot the bigger of the two bucks if they are standing side by side, but I'm also perfectly fine with a well-earned forky after a good week of hunting. For that reason, I doubt I'll ever apply for those units that require lots of points to draw.

I suppose the appeal, if you're not a trophy hunter, is fewer hunters? Is that the case? If the unit is an OTC elk unit, I don't see how there would be fewer hunters in the woods even if the MD tags are hard to get.
I think you hit the nail on the head with your last paragraph.

I'll use SW CO as an example, since that's the area I'm most familiar with.

Unit 62 is an OTC elk unit. Mule Deer Rifle pref points are 0-2 depending on res/non-res and season.

Unit 61, is the adjacent non-OTC elk unit. It takes 4-11 pref points to draw.

A similar comparison plays out for Units 66, 67, and 76, which require up to 24 preference points to draw, whereas their neighboring OTC units have many options that go into leftover draw.

Granted, geography, land access, and a number of other factors come into play, but I think most people see OTC Elk units as high-density hunter units, and steer clear accordingly.

It would be interesting to look at units that have transitioned from OTC to draw-only for Elk and see how that affected their Mule Deer preference point requirements during the switch.

MIKEPETTI

FNG
It would be interesting to look at units that have transitioned from OTC to draw-only for Elk and see how that affected their Mule Deer preference point requirements during the switch.
The unit I hunt is like that. Last year took zero points for archery. 455 people put in and 350 drew tags from my understanding last year. I wasn't one of the 350. This year with one preference point still didn't get drawn.

I do think that would tell the story.

I can understand gathering preference points for a high quality hunt - measured by low hunter density and not necessarily potential antler size. Heck, I'd do that.

But so far, I've not had a problem finding creative ways to get away from hunters in even the most hunter-dense units. So for me at least, there just isn't much incentive to save points.

If there's something I'm missing here, please let me know. I'm here to learn.

I look at the statistics. Factoring in potential point creep I came to the conclusion that I would not draw my typical unit. So I decided to switch to an adjacent unit that I thought I would have a chance at drawing from looking at the statistics. I drew the tag.

I will have to wait and see what the draw report looks like to see if my conclusion was correct or not. Even if there was no point creep, and I could have drawn the tag with the points I had, I won't be mad about it. I drew a tag for a unit I wanted and I'm stoked! Now I just need to get the time off from work so I can go hunt. Lol

Some of us wind up with a bunch of points because of years we hunt other states or other species. There are great deer in every unit in Colorado. But if you have the points, I figure you might as well put in for a higher quality tag (fewer hunters).

eldeuce

Lil-Rokslider
No bull, no bear, no buck

I really HATE the way CPW allows everyone in for $7
At least before the minor cost to apply limited the number of applications
Now it's just chaos
I'll put in for WY antelope does I guess

Friggin CO

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk