CO beetle Kill // 10+ year old burn area for elk

Hey all, I've got a question that maybe some more experienced folks can shed some light on. I've looked at aerial imagry, google earth, and hunt platforms till i'm red in the face in two particular units in CO. (77/78)

78 has the massive west fork fire from 2013 and the google earth imagry makes it look like there is a ton of down timber, but the images are pretty old (2016-2019). I don't want to be walking through a match stick box. Anyone know how this weminuche wilderness area looks as of the past couple years.

77 on the other hand looks just as bad on the downed timber front. No fire, just beetles ravaging as usual.

Also, what is the consensus on hunting really old burns? I'd imagine once the timber starts hitting the ground it becomes way more of a pain to navigate than what it's worth.

I would guess it's a bit of a mess through there. There's probably no shortage of elk in there either though. If you could cut some routes through (probably not feasible), it might give you an edge.

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
All I'll say is some of the most awesome and productive areas I've found without pressure in any state I've hunted are miles into that type of S**t that not many are willing to cross or go through. In this case I truly believe the "grass is always greener on the other side".

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
Surprising how well the elk navigate the down timber within a few weeks of the event. Get on the tracks and they will guide you through, definitely will not be in a straight line though. The regen is what makes it difficult.

Gapmaster

WKR
In my experience, the edges of those burns are a nightmare maze of logs and half fallen trees. Once you get into the actual burns they seem to be easier to navigate because most of the downed timber is limbless. But “easier” doesn’t mean easy. If you’re gonna hunt that stuff, throw some puncture wound first aid articles in your pack. 1-2 tampons and some blood clot agents. Hopefully you wouldn’t need it but those trees are a stab wound waiting to happen.

11boo

WKR
In my experience, the edges of those burns are a nightmare maze of logs and half fallen trees. Once you get into the actual burns they seem to be easier to navigate because most of the downed timber is limbless. But “easier” doesn’t mean easy. If you’re gonna hunt that stuff, throw some puncture wound first aid articles in your pack. 1-2 tampons and some blood clot agents. Hopefully you wouldn’t need it but those trees are a stab wound waiting to happen.
I used to walk the blowdown like a tightrope. Incredible I survived that phase of life.

Gapmaster

WKR
I used to walk the blowdown like a tightrope. Incredible I survived that phase of life.
Same here, but age has given me a sense of mortality. I’m much more careful than I used to be. That stuff is tough on everything from the body to the gear. Don’t know why I keep hunting it honestly.

TheHammer

WKR
Best train with a loaded pack for blow down beetle kill, not just in those units but most of southern co. 78 had a decent fire last year on the southern border. If you can get away from the pressure it’s usually after venturing through miles of blow downs.