CO Archery Elk 77/78/771 First Time Elk Hunters

tpm144

FNG
Hey all, new member and first time elk hunter here. Few friends and I are hunting archery elk in CO 77/78/771 this season. None of us have elk experience, and we decided to do a draw zone that pulled with no pref points rather than doing an OTC zone. I know pressure will still be bad, but we are just excited for the experience. We are all doing a ton of research and e-scouting, and planning a boots on the ground scouting trip in July. Not asking anyone for waypoints, but would love if some of you who have hunted this unit could provide some insight on terrain features to key on, elevation to focus on, how the herd is in this unit, etc. Any generally helpful tips for first time hunters would be great too. I'm a new member on here so can't send PM's yet, but if you have stuff you dont wanna post in the thread feel free to text me as well 6103506311. Thanks in advance and can't wait to get out and experience an elk hunt for the first time.

Bachto

WKR
This is going to sound sarcastic and it's not...mostly lol.

step one: pull up google.com
step two: type in colorado archery elk unit 77 in the search bar
step three: repeat for each unit
step four: profit

As far as finding elk do this:

Step one: go to youtube.com
step two: search "how to find elk" or "where to look for elk"
step three: watch your choice of about 293845 videos
step four: apply to your units
step five: Profit

Gerbdog

WKR
Hey TPM,
Also not trying to sound rude but these threads come up all the time, i can tell your using the search button on this forum to look for the unit. I'd instead use the search function to find more basic elk hunting wisdom. There is tons of gold on this forum to be had, you just gotta look for it, read through the threads, and if even 10% of it sticks you'll be 10% better at hunting elk on your first trip.

Good luck!

OP
T

tpm144

FNG

Been doing it since results came in and plan to keep doing it until we go! Gonna try to learn all I can but figured posting in a couple of these forums might turn up a couple people who might be open to sharing some wisdom. Not much downside, but quite possible that it could have some benefit

OP
T

tpm144

FNG
Hey TPM,
Also not trying to sound rude but these threads come up all the time, i can tell your using the search button on this forum to look for the unit. I'd instead use the search function to find more basic elk hunting wisdom. There is tons of gold on this forum to be had, you just gotta look for it, read through the threads, and if even 10% of it sticks you'll be 10% better at hunting elk on your first trip.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. I figured I'd throw a post out in case anyone had some area specific advice or was open to sharing some past experiences in the area. Besides the googling that was recommended above and the e-scouting we are already doing, I'll definitely be digging into these forums and listening to podcasts trying to absorb some general elk hunting knowledge too!

Gerbdog

WKR
Thanks for the advice. I figured I'd throw a post out in case anyone had some area specific advice or was open to sharing some past experiences in the area. Besides the googling that was recommended above and the e-scouting we are already doing, I'll definitely be digging into these forums and listening to podcasts trying to absorb some general elk hunting knowledge too!
Hey good on you, and you got the right attitude going into it. I can tell you the areas there get hit hard with hunting, there are pockets of elk, you need to find them and adapt to the hunting pressure.

Read up on elk tendencies and things they like to do and then apply them to the areas you decide to start hunting. Dont be surprised if an area that looks good has no elk in it, it happens, sometimes those elk end up in the places you never expected them to be in, but that comes with the advice: keep moving until you find elk, marrying a certain area because your just so sure it looks great for elk is a good way to have tag soup for the winter.

Get in good shape, get good boots, and try to maintain a good attitude and you'll have a good hunting experience. Neglect either of those 3 and you may find it frustrating. Pray for luck! Maybe it will be answered.

Hunt before light until after light for as many days as your able to hunt.

Poser

WKR
The Friday before the season opens, there will be camo-clad lines out the door and around the corner at all of the cannabis dispensaries in Pagosa Springs. It may be hard to find a parking spot because of the double crew cabs and horse trailers. Best to arrive early and have cash or you’ll have to withdraw from the ATM.

tdhanses

WKR
Sorry OP, you picked a unit with a crap ton of tags that was recently OTC, I hunt the same area but will just being doing bear rifle there during the same season.

Expect a mad house.

jwelders

FNG
In my opinion it is crucial to scout the area before the hunt. E scouting is fine but you dont really appreciate how close the topo lines are together on a map until you try to hike up a mountain trail with your gear on your back.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Well you got to start somewhere, the weminuche will chew you up and spit you out faster than you can knock an arrow. Elk will be steep and deep and far few of them. SW co elk herd has been in a steep decline for some time. That’s what the adventure is all about though!

I am in the same unit but it's more about the adventure for me. Sure I want to kill one but you have to start somewhere.... can't wait to get some mountain miles under my feet.

OP
T

tpm144

FNG
Thanks for all the responses! We knew the herd was in decline and know there will be pressure and killing one will be no easy feat, but we made the decision that one of these units that drew out people with 0 pref points was better than most of the OTC units we were looking at. The terrain looks more like what we wanted to hunt, the fact that it's a limited unit at all means pressure, while high, will be less than we couldve seen around say Steamboat, and the elk, while declining, are still there in numbers that we felt comfortable with! This is our first time testing the waters of a western hunt and we all realize our chance of success are low, but the experience, learning, and adventure is what we are there for. Can't wait to put some boots on the ground!

Krem

FNG
I did not realize 78/81 went to a draw, I was also planning my first Elk hunt here this year due to family living in the area (nonhunters) I wonder if there will be leftover tags available in aug?

OP
T

tpm144

FNG
I did not realize 78/81 went to a draw, I was also planning my first Elk hunt here this year due to family living in the area (nonhunters) I wonder if there will be leftover tags available in aug?
Yep, first year these areas have gone draw and limited tags. Not sure about that zone specifically for leftover tags, but I know it drew out people with 0 pref points. Based on the hunter numbers there the last couple years I would be surprised if application numbers werent high for people with 0 pref points this year and even more surprised if there were leftover licenses available. Seems like doing pre draw research, figuring out which zones are less desirable and draw out the most tags, and applying, even if you have 0 pref points, is the way to go as more zones become draw.

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider

I believe you meant to say, only watch Cam Haynes' videos...

OP
T

tpm144

FNG
I believe you meant to say, only watch Cam Haynes' videos...
Do you think that if I watch all of Cam's videos and carry a 50lb rock in my pack instead of water that that will increase my chances of killing a bull? I'm willing to do whatever it takes #KeepHammering

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
Do you think that if I watch all of Cam's videos and carry a 50lb rock in my pack instead of water that that will increase my chances of killing a bull? I'm willing to do whatever it takes #KeepHammering

Man, I really think you need to increase the weight to 80lbs worth of rocks and not forget to hike in a minimum of 15 miles before you start bugling...