CO 2nd Season Goat Gear

WCT3

FNG
I drew a nanny goat tag here in Colorado this year and was finally convinced to join the forum. I'm unbelievably excited for this tag and want to make sure I'm as dialed in as I possibly can be. I'm hoping to get some advice because I have no experience at all hunting goats.

I've got a pretty good lead on where to find animals from a family friend that killed a billy in the same unit a few years ago and I'm planning to make at least 3 weekend scouting trips, one of which will be a long weekend.

Gear is a big concern for this hunt as I don't have any experience hunting in goat country. The season is Sept. 20-Oct. 6 and I'm planning to backpack in 3-5 miles for up to 6 days at a time at elevations between 11,000-13,000 feet. My current set up is just under 32 lbs. for everything but food and water, I'm sure I will be adding some stuff for this hunt but I'm also already seeing places to cut weight. I do have concerns about a few things on my gear list though.

Tent - I have a Mier Lanshan 2 which is a cheapish, Chinese trekking pole tent. This thing has worked surprisingly well for me for the past few years and I've had it in some moderate storms but I'm worried about any trekking pole shelter in goat country. Are my concerns unfounded or should I look at upgrading to a stronger, freestanding shelter of some sort?

Glass - I have Vortex Viper 10X42s and a Razor HD 11-33 spotter. Will these be good enough to spot and more importantly identify sex or should I consider something better/more magnification?

Ice Axe/Whippet - Necessary for most goat hunts? I don't have either but I could get one or the other.

Microspikes - I'm planning to get some as I've been on some late season elk hunts that they would have helped with. I'm assuming I will want them on the goat hunt as well.

Tarp - I think I'm going to bring a tarp for glassing so I can leave my tent set up and still have some protection from the sun and elements. Good idea or waste of space/weight?

Anything else? Is there any other specific gear I should consider that I wouldn't take on a rifle deer or elk hunt?

RnnHntr

FNG
I have used a Tarptent Stratospire 1 tent-pole tent for two seasons of early fall high-altitude hunting in Northern Colorado and have no complains about using a trekking pole tent in principle even after being snowed on twice, rained on, blown on, etc. I am not familiar with your tent, so your experience may vary. I do take my poles out to use while hiking if the tent is going to stay set up.

As to glass, get the best you can afford and you will only say ouch when you pay for it. That said, if what you have allows you to see detail clearly, stay with it. A good test is to go to your local big box sporting goods store with you glass and compare it to the best you can afford. Look across the store into a dark corner with each to see if there is enough difference to make the upgrade worth the cost.

I have not used an ice axe while hunting, but have while mountaineering. I find my trekking poles safer and more useful for me hunting, including during May/June scouting sessions.

The microspikes are not a bad idea. I wish I had taken a pair.

I have a light weight glassing pad that I got from Kuiu as an extravagance, and it was well worth the $29 being a lot mot comfortable and warmer on my butt while weighing less than a tarp. I bought the blaze so I can strap it to the outside of my pack if I need to be extra visible.

Anything else? Have fun and enjoy the experience. I did not manage to shoot a goat when I drew my tag, and was discouraged for a while, but after reflecting on the experience, the hunt was a trophy in and of itself since most Colorado hunters never even get the chance to go.

Feel free to send me a message if you want more advise, though it may be worth exactly what you pay ofr it.

Good luck!

Dave

Ratbeetle

WKR
I don't know the details on that lanshan, but I've woken up under the stars twice after going to bed under a secure, floorless trekking pole tent. Both times were above 11k when the winds kicked up fierce.

The first time I chalked it up to user error with my pitch. But the second time, I was expecting the winds. Everything was tight, guyed out and double secured with rocks. Damn thing still collapsed on me at 3am. Wind was blowing hard enough that I couldn't fix it. Ended up putting all my layers on and hunkering down in a depression until the sun came up. Thankfully it was just windy and cold. If it had been wet also, I could have been in for a rough time.

Still love my floorless shelters, but above treeline I'm sticking with freestanding tents from now on.

I spent 25 days and 23 nights in Colorado goat country scouting/hunting last year. Your shelter and micro spikes are going to be very weather dependent, but yes I would look at a tent you feel can stand up to crazy winds and the potential for some big snow up that high in sept. Winds are what concerned me last year and even with Hillebergs I was not super confident they would hold up on some of the days. But they did, still stressful when you leave camp and weather kicks up and you wonder if you’ll get to a glassing peak and see your camp rolling across a valley floor.

For glass, I would look at upgrading your spotter for sure. I think the binos are fine, they just help you find white spots, but I spent a lot more time behind my spotter and taking video and pics to study the animals. Was way more useful that I imagined. I packed a swaro 65 and often wanted more scope. I don’t think that 11-33 will be great, but it’s also a costly upgrade and something only you can decide.

Also look at your tripod. A very lightweight one (think slik 624 and 634) will shake like crazy with the winds you might encounter, I went with a heavier tripod that was much more stable and do not regret carrying it.

Tarp…100000%. I packed a kifaru sheep tarp, 5 MSR hound hog stakes, and rigged line locs and reflective tarp cord (seek outside has all the stuff you need on their website, kifaru just sends you the tarp). You’ll want the linelocs on your tarp because it’s rocky as hell and getting it pitched with fixed guyouts can be a pain, I would find soft ground or a place I could get a peg in and take the line to the stake. You’ll thank me if you try it I promise you. Also amazing how quick you can get that thing up if you see rain coming and get under and stay dry. Big yes for me.

Boots and camp shoes. You didn’t mention them but you better find boots you love and that love you. I also packed camp shoes for the first time in my life and they were so awesome to get in at camp, but also to slip on while glassing and walk around a little while your boots are drying. I also used them on 3-4 creek crossings. I can look for them, but bought some crazy light 7oz plastic mocosin type slip on one on Amazon for cheap and also took a havalon to them and cut and trimmed some of the excess shoe off.

Congrats on the tag, and welcome to Rokslide

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Here's my goat hunting experience... In 2019 I drew my tag (2nd season) and we went up the day before and found a Billy. It was so hot that I was wearing shorts during the time of the hunt. We went in and killed that Billy the next morning and life was good. The next year my mom drew her Billy tag for the same unit but 1st season. They came in a couple of days before and had some goats found already. I came in the night before and brought my bow so I could hunt Elk while we were up there. A storm was supposed to be coming in the next day so we were ready for that... so we thought. We woke up the opening morning and the Billys were already on the cliffs. I waited around until around 9 AM until I took off for elk hunting. I made it down to elk country and was getting into some sign when it started snowing. This was around noon. Well by the time I made it back to camp there was 1 ft on the ground. We decided to take off back to the truck before we were stuck there for numerous days. They were breaking trail with the horses and I rode my lambrafeeties the whole way back. By the time we got back to the truck, there was just shy of 2 ft of snow on the ground there which was 3000 ft below camp. This probably does not help you out at all but I figured I would share my experience so you know that planning now is great but have a plan B, C, and D because you never know what the weather can be like up there!

Jimss

WKR
I'm not sure which unit you drew but the learning curve on backpack hunts are incredibly high even during great conditions. Things can certainly change in a hurry in goat country and conditios can become mighty dicey in a hurry. Some goat units can be hunted from a truck (which is my preference) but others are not. It can be 60 degrees one day and a blizzard the next so be prepared for the worse!

My biggest word of advice is to spend as many days and nights in goat country during the summer as possible...especially if you plan on backpack hunting. Most guys bring way too much stuff. It's also a lot easier to have a base camp that you hunt from rather than hunting each day with your camp on your back.

I would also learn how to distinguish nannies from young billies. A lot of guys have no clue. You definitely don't want to screw up! Goats live in gorgeous country! Enjoy!

OP
WCT3

WCT3

FNG
I have used a Tarptent Stratospire 1 tent-pole tent for two seasons of early fall high-altitude hunting in Northern Colorado and have no complains about using a trekking pole tent in principle even after being snowed on twice, rained on, blown on, etc. I am not familiar with your tent, so your experience may vary. I do take my poles out to use while hiking if the tent is going to stay set up.
I've used my tent at treeline in mid September but the weather was pretty mild. I will test it on a scouting trip and try to decide.
As to glass, get the best you can afford and you will only say ouch when you pay for it. That said, if what you have allows you to see detail clearly, stay with it. A good test is to go to your local big box sporting goods store with you glass and compare it to the best you can afford. Look across the store into a dark corner with each to see if there is enough difference to make the upgrade worth the cost.
I was afraid this would be the answer about the glass, sounds like I need to start shopping.
I have not used an ice axe while hunting, but have while mountaineering. I find my trekking poles safer and more useful for me hunting, including during May/June scouting sessions.
I've never used an ice axe for any hunting, climbing, or skiing so it may just be more dangerous to have one with me.
I have a light weight glassing pad that I got from Kuiu as an extravagance, and it was well worth the $29 being a lot mot comfortable and warmer on my butt while weighing less than a tarp. I bought the blaze so I can strap it to the outside of my pack if I need to be extra visible.
I do have a glassing pad that I almost never hunt without, even if I only use it to sit and eat lunch.

OP
WCT3

WCT3

FNG
I don't know the details on that lanshan, but I've woken up under the stars twice after going to bed under a secure, floorless trekking pole tent. Both times were above 11k when the winds kicked up fierce.

The first time I chalked it up to user error with my pitch. But the second time, I was expecting the winds. Everything was tight, guyed out and double secured with rocks. Damn thing still collapsed on me at 3am. Wind was blowing hard enough that I couldn't fix it. Ended up putting all my layers on and hunkering down in a depression until the sun came up. Thankfully it was just windy and cold. If it had been wet also, I could have been in for a rough time.

Still love my floorless shelters, but above treeline I'm sticking with freestanding tents from now on.
I'm hoping to find a good camp spot at or just below treeline, I'd feel comfortable with my tent there. If I can't find anything lower and still close to the goats it sounds like I should upgrade.

OP
WCT3

WCT3

FNG
For glass, I would look at upgrading your spotter for sure. I think the binos are fine, they just help you find white spots, but I spent a lot more time behind my spotter and taking video and pics to study the animals. Was way more useful that I imagined. I packed a swaro 65 and often wanted more scope. I don’t think that 11-33 will be great, but it’s also a costly upgrade and something only you can decide.

Also look at your tripod. A very lightweight one (think slik 624 and 634) will shake like crazy with the winds you might encounter, I went with a heavier tripod that was much more stable and do not regret carrying it.
Seems like everyone is suggesting a better spotter, guess I will have to start looking in the classifieds and shopping for deals. I hadn't considered the tripod stability, I have a Promaster 525 but I'm not sure how that compares to the slik.
Tarp…100000%. I packed a kifaru sheep tarp, 5 MSR hound hog stakes, and rigged line locs and reflective tarp cord (seek outside has all the stuff you need on their website, kifaru just sends you the tarp). You’ll want the linelocs on your tarp because it’s rocky as hell and getting it pitched with fixed guyouts can be a pain, I would find soft ground or a place I could get a peg in and take the line to the stake. You’ll thank me if you try it I promise you. Also amazing how quick you can get that thing up if you see rain coming and get under and stay dry. Big yes for me.
I ordered Borah solo tarp earlier this week, I will reach out to SO about the hardware since I don't think the Borah comes with it either.
Boots and camp shoes. You didn’t mention them but you better find boots you love and that love you. I also packed camp shoes for the first time in my life and they were so awesome to get in at camp, but also to slip on while glassing and walk around a little while your boots are drying. I also used them on 3-4 creek crossings. I can look for them, but bought some crazy light 7oz plastic mocosin type slip on one on Amazon for cheap and also took a havalon to them and cut and trimmed some of the excess shoe off.
I have a pair of Crispis that have been good for me in all conditions the past couple of season so I'm planning to hunt in those. I wasn't planning to bring camp shoes (I've only ever used them horse packing or car camping) but maybe I'll reconsider.

ToolMann

WKR
Check out the current Camera Land sale on the Kowa 77 series with wide angle eyepiece. Not sure of your budget.

svivian

WKR
I use a promaster 525 with a swaro ATS 80 and ATX 85 with no issues. That is with a sirui VA-5 head. There should also be a hook on the bottom of the post that you can hang a rock or your pack off of to stabilize your tripod in windy conditions.

OP
WCT3

WCT3

FNG
I'm not sure which unit you drew but the learning curve on backpack hunts are incredibly high even during great conditions. Things can certainly change in a hurry in goat country and conditios can become mighty dicey in a hurry. Some goat units can be hunted from a truck (which is my preference) but others are not. It can be 60 degrees one day and a blizzard the next so be prepared for the worse!

My biggest word of advice is to spend as many days and nights in goat country during the summer as possible...especially if you plan on backpack hunting. Most guys bring way too much stuff. It's also a lot easier to have a base camp that you hunt from rather than hunting each day with your camp on your back.

I would also learn how to distinguish nannies from young billies. A lot of guys have no clue. You definitely don't want to screw up! Goats live in gorgeous country! Enjoy!
This isn't my first backpack hunt, I've done quite a few 3-4 day trips over the past few years just none in goat country.

I'm planning on making at least 3 scouting trips, I'm sure I will also being doing some backpacking and camping trips closer to home around 10,000 feet. I am planning to hunt from a basecamp and only move if I need to after locating goats.

I've hunted the end of season (when there was just one, so 3rd week of September) goat in CO twice - camping at about 11.6k. On both hunts, we spent time off-loading snow off our tents during the night, and also packing mt goat back to camp in shorts and t shirts! Also spent one sleepless night huddled under a small tarp in sleet and rain with my buddy next to our goat when we cliffed out trying to get back to camp in the dark.
I'd want a solid 3+ season tent. If you aren't experienced with using an ice ax I wouldn't take one. If you are looking at terrain that needs using an ice ax you shouldn't go there unless you know how to use it. Micro spikes or light cramp ons can be very useful with snow, mud, or wet grass on an incline. I don't find mature billies and nannies very hard to tell apart - but the younger ones can be very tricky. Goat hunting is just plain awesome so enjoy. That said, it's about as dangerous as hunting can get. I'd highly recommend having satellite communication and a hunting companion.

OP
WCT3

WCT3

FNG
Check out the current Camera Land sale on the Kowa 77 series with wide angle eyepiece. Not sure of your budget.
Thanks for the tip. 2 grand is probably the max on my budget unless I find a really great deal (used Swaro etc.). What do you think of the Kowa 66? It's about $700 cheaper and 10 oz. lighter.
I use a promaster 525 with a swaro ATS 80 and ATX 85 with no issues. That is with a sirui VA-5 head. There should also be a hook on the bottom of the post that you can hang a rock or your pack off of to stabilize your tripod in windy conditions.
Thanks! I've only used mine with the small Razor spotter I have. I forgot about the hook, I will make sure I have something I can hang from it.

ToolMann

WKR
Thanks for the tip. 2 grand is probably the max on my budget unless I find a really great deal (used Swaro etc.). What do you think of the Kowa 66? It's about $700 cheaper and 10 oz. lighter.

Thanks! I've only used mine with the small Razor spotter I have. I forgot about the hook, I will make sure I have something I can hang from it.
$2k will get you the 773 or 774 right now. I've never looked through the 66 and am a newbie with spotters. But I did a ton, months of research before buying. The 77 offers a much better eyepiece. I'll take the 10 ounce penalty, but I'm not the one with the goat tag either. 😁

Fwiw, where we were hunting both years, a high end, high power spotter would have been appreciated, but not required. We had a mid-range spotter on one hunt and none on the other. We were successful on both. Where we were hunting a good spotting scope would allow you to glass goats that you had no chance of getting at or would require 3 days to relocate camp to get within an approachable range! :)
One other thing - in my mind gators in this country are a must! Enjoy-I'm jealous.

OP
WCT3

WCT3

FNG
I've hunted the end of season (when there was just one, so 3rd week of September) goat in CO twice - camping at about 11.6k. On both hunts, we spent time off-loading snow off our tents during the night, and also packing mt goat back to camp in shorts and t shirts! Also spent one sleepless night huddled under a small tarp in sleet and rain with my buddy next to our goat when we cliffed out trying to get back to camp in the dark.
I'd want a solid 3+ season tent. If you aren't experienced with using an ice ax I wouldn't take one. If you are looking at terrain that needs using an ice ax you shouldn't go there unless you know how to use it. Micro spikes or light cramp ons can be very useful with snow, mud, or wet grass on an incline. I don't find mature billies and nannies very hard to tell apart - but the younger ones can be very tricky. Goat hunting is just plain awesome so enjoy. That said, it's about as dangerous as hunting can get. I'd highly recommend having satellite communication and a hunting companion.
Ice axe is out, seems like it will just be more dangerous to have one with me. Microspikes are definitely in, even if the weather is nice I think they could still be useful. I'll be bringing an In Reach and have buddies with me on and off.
Fwiw, where we were hunting both years, a high end, high power spotter would have been appreciated, but not required. We had a mid-range spotter on one hunt and none on the other. We were successful on both. Where we were hunting a good spotting scope would allow you to glass goats that you had no chance of getting at or would require 3 days to relocate camp to get within an approachable range! :)
One other thing - in my mind gators in this country are a must! Enjoy-I'm jealous.
The only reason I'm really thinking about a higher end spotter is to identify a nannie, if it was an either sex tag I wouldn't be as worried about it. Maybe with enough scouting I'll be able to identify with my smaller spotter but I'm not confident.

OP
WCT3

WCT3

FNG
$2k will get you the 773 or 774 right now. I've never looked through the 66 and am a newbie with spotters. But I did a ton, months of research before buying. The 77 offers a much better eyepiece. I'll take the 10 ounce penalty, but I'm not the one with the goat tag either. 😁
I'm a bit of a weight weenie, especially going into this hunt, so 10 oz. seems like a lot to me. More importantly, the $650 savings would cover a lot of gas for scouting trips.

ToolMann

WKR
I'm a bit of a weight weenie, especially going into this hunt, so 10 oz. seems like a lot to me. More importantly, the $650 savings would cover a lot of gas for scouting trips.
I hear ya on both fronts. Buying diesel hurts every time for me. On the weight I'm rarely solo, so my wife can carry it 🤣. I'm already carrying the damn tent!

OP
WCT3

WCT3

FNG
I hear ya on both fronts. Buying diesel hurts every time for me. On the weight I'm rarely solo, so my wife can carry it 🤣. I'm already carrying the damn tent!
Man I'm glad I drive a gasser with prices right now. My buddies will probably be coming and going throughout the hunt so I need to be able to haul all of my own gear.