Clothing Kit Recommendations for WY Elk Rifle hunt

MtnDunn

FNG
Hey everyone, new to Rokslide. I am primarily an southeastern whitetail hunter and am in the process of planning my first rifle elk hunt in WY next season. I've never been out west in the fall and have heard the weather can be rather unpredictable and swing drastically. All this being said, I'd love to hear some clothing recommendations from some of y'all that have way more experience than me. I've looked at Sitka and FL kits and wonder if it's truly worth/needed to drop $1k on new hunting clothes. I could stand to upgrade my camo, but I've also got mouths to feed and a mortgage to pay. Thanks.

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
I was in WY for a mule deer hunt 2 years ago in October and we had snow and 20 degrees the first day and 70 degrees and sunny the last day. Each day had periods of high wind. My buddies all have Sitka and it's really nice if you have the money but not necessary. I just used a combo of hiking/mountaineering/hunting stuff and was fine. Bring a good set of base layers (merino or synthetic), some kind of mid layer like a grid fleece, an insulation layer like a puffy, and rain jacket and pants which also block the wind. Also a good set of gloves or mittens and a beanie for the cold. That setup should get you through most situations. Avoid cotten, invest in good boots/socks/pack, and have fun!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
I was in WY for a mule deer hunt 2 years ago in October and we had snow and 20 degrees the first day and 70 degrees and sunny the last day. Each day had periods of high wind. My buddies all have Sitka and it's really nice if you have the money but not necessary. I just used a combo of hiking/mountaineering/hunting stuff and was fine. Bring a good set of base layers (merino or synthetic), some kind of mid layer like a grid fleece, an insulation layer like a puffy, and rain jacket and pants which also block the wind. Also a good set of gloves or mittens and a beanie for the cold. That setup should get you through most situations. Avoid cotten, invest in good boots/socks/pack, and have fun!

Ditto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stvnshnn

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t been to WY, but I live in Alaska. Both places are known for their impressive variations in their weather.
What do you already have?
I like merino base layers—they don’t stink after a week like synthetics. I have picked up stuff at Costco “Carbon” was the brand, for $15 for a long sleeve top. Don’t feel like you have to spend retail $ for name brands. That said, I really like merino boxers, and they tend to be expensive.
I think boots and a good bag go further than clothing does for keeping you in the game, so focus on that.
Base layer, fleece, puffy jacket, and rain coat on top. Base layer, pants, puffy pants or fleece, rain pants on the bottom.
Don’t be married to camo or a certain name brand. You can your kids and get a nice thing or two, but make sure you get in good shape and have good boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
MtnDunn

MtnDunn

FNG
Awesome advise. Thanks guys. I've got good boots and run a Mystery Ranch pack right now. Definitely will invest in some better socks and base layers. Sounds like a good packable puffy would be a good investment with the crazy temp swings. What about pants? Seems like I've heard guys talk about Kuiu Attack pants and FL Foundry Corrugate. Do y'all have any thoughts?

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome advise. Thanks guys. I've got good boots and run a Mystery Ranch pack right now. Definitely will invest in some better socks and base layers. Sounds like a good packable puffy would be a good investment with the crazy temp swings. What about pants? Seems like I've heard guys talk about Kuiu Attack pants and FL Foundry Corrugate. Do y'all have any thoughts?
Any softshell type pant will work. I wore cheap Eddie Bauer guide pro pants on the hotter days and also had a pair of heavier Browning pants with a fleece pining for the folder weather. You don't need camo or hunting specific. That being said I now have some kings camo preacher pants and the side venting (similar to kuiu) and knee pads are super nice to have.

jlbethea

FNG
Hey everyone, new to Rokslide. I am primarily an southeastern whitetail hunter and am in the process of planning my first rifle elk hunt in WY next season. I've never been out west in the fall and have heard the weather can be rather unpredictable and swing drastically. All this being said, I'd love to hear some clothing recommendations from some of y'all that have way more experience than me. I've looked at Sitka and FL kits and wonder if it's truly worth/needed to drop $1k on new hunting clothes. I could stand to upgrade my camo, but I've also got mouths to feed and a mortgage to pay. Thanks.

Congrats on getting out there man! I have a similar background of southern whitetail with hopes of getting out west at some point. Have a great trip and let me know how it goes!

OP
MtnDunn

MtnDunn

FNG
Congrats on getting out there man! I have a similar background of southern whitetail with hopes of getting out west at some point. Have a great trip and let me know how it goes!
For sure! I've been out west fly fishing a couple of times, now I'm super stoked to get back out there in the fall with a rifle in my hand instead.

mmac

WKR
What you wear doesn't have to be all camo. If you are on a budget go for function first. I don't wear camo pants most of the time and for base layers probably never worry about it. You probably do not a need camo underwear for rifle. That said, this is the time of year to scoop up some deals. I just checked Sierra Trading Post and they have a lot of merino, including first lite. Lots of camo for lower pricing as well on other sites if you are not picky on brand or pattern.