Clip-On Thermal Experience

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone used a clip-on thermal vs a thermal scope? Just wondering how well it works for predators. I think it would be nice to be able to switch it to different scopes and rifles easily.

Tbone26

FNG
I would recommend a dedicated scope. With a good RTZ mount like ADM or Larue and multiple zero profiles (available in most thermals currently) you can still swap from gun to gun. I don’t have experience with any newer clip ons as of late but I know of people having poi shift problems in the past.

I've used one. Obviously there are positives and negatives.

It works fine for coyote hunting. A dedicated weapon sight is easier to use than a clip on though. Depending on what you are doing, the type of weapon, (AR/bolt in regular stock/bolt in chassis) scopes on each weapon, distance, one is a better option than another.

Krobe

FNG
I have used both. A dedicated thermal scope is better than a clip-on in 95% of situations.

omicron1792

Lil-Rokslider
Agree with above. I’ve used thermal clip ons and have a NV clip on. The supposed benefits never line up with the experience. I love my dedicated thermal scopes

croben

WKR
A really really good clip on is awesome. A decent or not so good clip on are not awesome. You would probably be better off having a dedicated scope and/or full setup just for hunting predators at night.

I run the Pard FT34 LRF clip-on thermal mounted to my Schmidt and Bender Meta - The universal mount left a lot to be desired. Lots of movement. Ended up going with the Rusan custom 50mm mount that I picked up from Robbie at Shooting Warehouse. It’s a brand from the Czech Republic that makes Isley high quality optic adapters. He’s the only stocking dealer in North America. It’s a game changer with the new mount - The PARD performs nicely all the way out to 800 meters and allows for quick target acquisition. I’ve included an image for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_3669.jpeg
    IMG_3669.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 24

waspocrew

WKR
Dedicated makes it easy. Super simple to swap around as well. My iRay Rico is currently on my 6 ARC, but it’s also been on the 22 Creed and 6 Creed.

Barnell

FNG
Are there good 1k-$2500 thermals out there or is it more of a gamble than it’s worth? I’m ok with saving for a more expensive one just curious if there good options there.

omicron1792

Lil-Rokslider

omicron1792

Lil-Rokslider
If not going over 200 yards a 300 level sensor is fine. All of the above have that.

If you want to go out to 500 need 600 level sensor. That raises price to 3-5k.

Barnell

FNG
If not going over 200 yards a 300 level sensor is fine. All of the above have that.

If you want to go out to 500 need 600 level sensor. That raises price to 3-5k.
Good to know. I didn’t know about the sensor levels I appreciate the information!

waspocrew

WKR
Look at the Iray offerings right now- they have some really good deals on 640 units for 4k (instead of 6k).

Wrench

WKR
Are there good 1k-$2500 thermals out there or is it more of a gamble than it’s worth? I’m ok with saving for a more expensive one just curious if there good options there.
I'm running an ATN THOR 4 640 which can be had used in your budget and can spot cows over a mile away on a cool night.