Clearwater Steelhead

bpeay4

FNG
Anybody on here fish winter steelhead on the Clearwater?

This is my first year trying after moving up here from Twin. Fished hard last two days in the NF with no luck. Mostly fishing a bobber and jig or bead from the bank.

Next outing I plan to make up some spawn sacks as I saw lots of other anglers using bait. Am I on the right track here or should I try other methods of fishing such as plunking or spinners or coon shrimp?

Either way I'm excited to experiment new tactics. I 'm determined to catch one this winter!!

Been a long time but a buddy that grew up there took me out a few times. Back trolling with a wiggle wart with fresh shrimp strapped to the underbelly worked well. We always caught a few fish every time we went. Not as many fish these days tho! Good luck and maybe check with the local tackle shops.

wowzers

Lil-Rokslider
You’re on the right track. I don’t use a lot of bait but I do like to add some scent with some anise in it. Getting a good drift is crucial too.

I was out Sunday and it was pretty slow for us and everyone I talked to.

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Buy a cheap drift boat and side drift. Steelhead can be tricky in the winter, especially after they travel 600 miles and the water is sub 40°. Assuming you're bank fishing I wouldn't take more the 15-20 cast before changing out to a different sized bead/color. Not sure if you have them, but check out BNR. Seems interior fish prefer smaller, but we throw 16-20 mm on the coast, even 25mm for fall salmon. I always seemed to do best more interior in idaho and NE Oregon on 8-12mm.

Garlic scent shrimp with either a pink or light orange jig has been working for me when I’ve been able to fish after work on the weekdays.

OP
bpeay4

bpeay4

FNG
Thanks everyone. Sounds like I'm on the right track its just going to take some time and effort. I'll try to post an update if I do hook one.

Been many years since I've fished steelhead on the Clearwater but damn was it a blast when we did. There was a deep freeze one November when we were there and it's still the coldest I've ever been in my life fishing out of that sled, but we caught a lot of B runs that week. Just keep fishing and you'll find them. Good luck!