Cleaning Steep Country Sheath

Bratch

Lil-Rokslider
After cleaning my deer Friday I put my Steep Country back in the sheath for the drag out and got the sheath full of gunk. It’s the original black kydex sheath. I’ve tried soaking it in soapy water but every time I put the blade back in it comes out covered in fat and crud.

Any tips on getting this thing clean?

Last edited:

Shraggs

WKR
Try putting in hot near boiling water to get fat liquidity. Try to get thin cotton cloth inside to absorb fat. Let dry vertically to drain???

OP
B

Bratch

Lil-Rokslider
Try putting in hot near boiling water to get fat liquidity. Try to get thin cotton cloth inside to absorb fat. Let dry vertically to drain???

I did this and it seems to have done the trick but the sheath lost some of its shape. It still has good retention and fits the knife so I’m not worried. It lives in a Marsupial zipperoo pouch so all the sheath does is cover the edge.

I keep an old gift card in my kill kit to scrape fat off before sheathing it

Added a card to my kit. Thanks.

Shraggs

WKR
With kydex, you can shrink it back. Get hair dryer and warm it on both sides. Don’t put knife in until cool.

Try 20 seconds each side and see if it shrunk by putting knife in. If not tight try 30 and so on.

I did this and it seems to have done the trick but the sheath lost some of its shape. It still has good retention and fits the knife so I’m not worried. It lives in a Marsupial zipperoo pouch so all the sheath does is cover the edge.

Added a card to my kit. Thanks.
Yikes.

got some furniture / carpentry clamps? Make a kydex press with some boards ans scraps of old foam mat. Heat the sheath in boiling water or a with a hair dryer / heat gun and press it back into shape.